Old 09-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #1

Drain the hot water heater?

We are new to anything besides a tent and have no idea what we are doing. When we did our walk through, the guy told us that after each use we should drain the water from the hot water heater. He then pointed to this spot and we figured it would be pretty simple from there. After our first trip, we went to drain it and realized the spot where he pointed to was a bolt with thread sealer on it (that looks like it should not be removed). I am wondering if there was something else we were supposed to do, or if it is really necessary to drain it after each trip.

Thanks

Old 09-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

If you choose to drain the water heater, and you have a Suburban, it takes a 1 1/16th inch socket to fit that plug. Release the pressure on the system by opening a faucet. The 1st time removing the drain plug and attached anode rod, it might be hard to do.....they screw that puppy on like it should never be removed. Beware, you will probably get wet !!

Many people (myself included) only empty the water heater once a year when we winterize.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
Old 09-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #3

Let me suggest doing this in the driveway or the yard. That tank holds 6 gallons of water. If you pull the pressure release valve water will drain quicker. Check the anode rod and replace if nessecary. Wrap the threads of the rod with plumbers tape before reinstalling. Make sure you get the threads aligned in the hole properly before screwing in or you may get a cross threaded situation you don't want!

After 1 1/2 years of ownership, I just did this procedure. The anode rod still has at least half a life. Be sure to refill the tank before turning on the heating element!
Old 09-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #4

I only drain mine at the end of each season. Just be sure to release the pressure in the tank with the pressure relief valve and that the water in the tank is cool or cold before draining.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Old 09-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #5

I too only drain mine at the end of each season. Inspect the anode rod and replace it if it's heavily corroded. But before you drain it, be sure to flip the three valves so the hot water heater is isolated from the rest of the water supply.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #6

We also only do it at the end of the season-and yes you will get wet !
Old 09-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #7

If you don't drain it you can't turn the element on with no water in the tank and burn it out - don't ask me how I know!
Old 09-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Wills View Post
I too only drain mine at the end of each season. Inspect the anode rod and replace it if it's heavily corroded. But before you drain it, be sure to flip the three valves so the hot water heater is isolated from the rest of the water supply.
Am I correct in asumming that you only have to "flip the three valves" if you are going to winterize the unit? Otherwise, what is the point?
Old 09-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by backin15 View Post
If you don't drain it you can't turn the element on with no water in the tank and burn it out - don't ask me how I know!
OK I won't ask. But I would be intersted in knowing if you are saying not to turn the electric element on with no water in the tank or something else.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

If the element doesn't have water around it (full tank), it will burn up if you put power to it. If you drain at the end of the season, it could freeze like a frozen soda can and destroy it. The plan should be at the end off the season, turn off the breaker to the water heater, drain it, turn the three bypass valves and the pump RV anti-freeze through the rest of the system.

2015 129 nites
2016 63 nites

Tags
water heater