Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2014, 09:41 AM   #1

01 829BHS Roof Leak

Hello,
I am new to this forum. I just recently found a great deal on an 01 Flagstaff 829BHS TT. There are a couple of problems with this TT. The biggest concern of mine is the leak in the bathroom. I noticed that the vent cover is broken, that is an easy and simple fix. The ceiling itself is very weak and I can push up on it and it feels like the entire roof is moving. I know nothing about the type of roof on it and how to fix it. I am hoping I can just use flex seal or something of that nature to seal the outside and tear out the ceiling and replace it. Any help and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and attention.
raymanwaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:07 AM   #2

As to the outside parts of the roof use Eterna Bond tape and Dicor self leveling caulk. Don't use flex seal it might ruin the roof materiel. As to the soft spot you need to look into that the leak may have done damage to the ceiling and that needs to be fixed because it may start leaking again if the roof hasn't got the proper support.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:12 AM   #3

I know for a fact that the ceiling has a lot of damage. In the corner of the shower, the plastic finish has started peeling off the plywood or particle board. I can pull chuncks of it out. I am hoping to pull the finish off and use it as a template to cut a new piece of plywood and glue or screw it to the ceiling. Someone once mentioned to me that there is a membrain above the ceiling and not joists how can this be?
Old 10-08-2014, 10:26 AM   #4

Watch screws if they puncture roof you'll have another leak, construction adhesive. The roof is made up of layers 2 thin pieces of plywood luan with foam insulation in between them and the what I'm going to call "rubber roofing materiel". Better than me trying to explain I found this site that might help. RV Structure
Old 10-08-2014, 10:31 AM   #5

Depends on what a great deal is. Is it a rubber roof? If you are good with your hands you can fix the roof replace the rubber and reseal all of the roof seals for around $2000.00 doing it all yourself. You may get it for less depending on how much structual damage is there and hidden surprises.
harderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #6

Well the great deal was 900 bucks. the only weak section of ceiling is in the bathroom about a 6ft by 4ft section. I sincerely hope that it will not cost 2000 to fix this section.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:41 AM   #7

Problem you will find is that you think it's a 6ft x 4ft section and hopefully it is.

I had a small leak on my 2006 831RLSS 1ftx2ft. When I tackled the job of fixing the damaged area, it turned out to be about 6ft x 8ft of rotted material around it that appeared ok but, it wasn't when you got into the job.

Not to scare you away by any means but, just want you to know from experience that the damaged area is almost always larger than you think based on what you can see.

Can you walk on your roof? Does it feel like it has soft spots anywhere?

Eternabond is awesome stuff but, not cheap. The dicor lap sealant is around $10 a tube as well and that adds up. If you have to replace the rubber roof material up top it can also add up.

Again, not trying to scare you away or sound negative but, since I went through it, I can tell you from experience it ended up being more than I thought.

I made out well though with my trailer as I got it for such a good price when I sold it, even with the work I put into it, I never lost any money.

Someone once told me that an RV with water damage is equivalent to buying a car with frame damage. Not sure if I believe that completely or not but, some people would and I can certainly see a little truth to it. At $900 if the damage is only in the area you mentioned and that's all it turns out to be, I'd say you are still in pretty good shape.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:51 PM   #8

900 is a great deal. As stated above it is dependant on the actual damage. If you have rotted rafters and sheeting the rubber has to come off to repair.

If you are going to take the rubber off you may as well replace as it probably needs it anyway. They tipically last ten years when taken care of. You can get the materials to replace the rubber for around $1000.00 give or take a couple hundred. then there is the cost of the rotted wood and how bad it is.

You also (or I would) want to replace any interior that has visible staining and rot. You don't want any signs of water damge when you are done or resale value will suffer.

You got the TT for 900 do right and you will be happy in the long run.
harderd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, roo, roof