Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2014, 07:36 AM   #1

2005 5th wheel

Hi, I just got this unit about 2 weeks ago. We checked it out really good two or three times, no smell, no water damage signs anywhere, very clean and generally in good repair. We took it home in the pouring rain. Got home and noticed two water drops on the rear wall by the bunks. One thing led to another and discovered major water damage in both back corners. Removed all the wall panels, bunk bed frames, tub/shower, vanity and insulation, re sealed the roof edge with dicor as well as all around the vents etc. Used eternabond tape right across the back and did a fairly big section on both corners in a triangular shape. Re sealed all along the rear outside corner mouldings with 100% pure white silicone at the rv dealer suggestion- I hesitated but they are the experts. I have heaters inside to try and dry the wood frame so that I can treat it with fiberglass resin or special wood hardener stuff from Home Hardware.
Last night we had a huge downpour and there were a few drop of water inside on the aluminium side wall. I have no idea where it could be coming from. There were a few up high and some pretty low near the floor. is there any way water can come in through the seam where the aluminium panels are joined together? Coming in at the windows does not make sense because of where the water drops were.
Thanks for any help or suggestions. Are there units prone to any particular issues?

G.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:51 AM   #2

Your water drips may be (Condensation)? With heaters on inside and Rain outside,just a WAG. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:11 AM   #3

I thought about that and shut them off last night. Still a few more drops. Not sure where to go next. Maybe the back molding on the wall side? I am running out of time and ideas already.

Tags
5th wheel, wheel