Old 09-05-2017, 03:17 PM   #1

2009 Palomino 4124

I just wrote out a nice long post and Edge helpfully crashed on me. Wonderful.

Trying again...

We have a water intrusion and rot issue happening on the wood underneath the (fiberglass?) roof cap on our tent trailer. I'm planning on replacing the wood and reworking the seals to make sure this doesn't happen again, but I wanted to check in here to see if anyone else has encountered this problem. The root of the issue appears to be with the cap seal not resting properly on the aluminum sill on the trailer base.

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1789.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	150697   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1793.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	150698   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1797.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	150699   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1799.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	322.3 KB
ID:	150700  

mhendriks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:32 PM   #2

We had a pop-up for years and never had an issue like that. The plastic on the bottom acts like a drip rail therefore, it should drip past that aluminum sill. I wonder if you're having the water coming in higher. Are there holes in the roof? How about your vents/ac (if you have one).

007matman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:33 PM   #3

Looking at it again.. I would replace all of that caulking. I bet it's coming in behind that plastic moulding.
If you look at the first photo you can see where the caulking has given way off of the roof.

You'll want to use Dicor Non-leveling lap sealant on that.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:37 PM   #4

I'm pretty sure that it's getting up under the lip of the cap, either when towing in the rain, or just general wind blown precipitation, and then wicking into the wood from there. Additionally, there's an aluminum trim piece on the extreme bottom edge of the cap, that's sealed against the cap with a "product," but on one side it's clear that the seal has failed. When we first purchased the trailer, it was clear that this problem had started, and I spent some time resealing with silicone (lesson learned,) but that hasn't held. This time around I'll redo with dicor.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:42 PM   #5

I learned my lesson with Silicone too.

I had an issue with the door seal on my Pop-up. It was bent/damaged so many times I just took it off. It was like that for probably 5 years. I towed with it multiple times through rain storms and never had anything like you're dealing with. I don't think there is a lot of water that gets in there if it's sealing properly.

Did you try tightening down the latches so it seals more tightly?
Old 09-05-2017, 04:04 PM   #6

Incredibly... I hadn't thought of that. I'll definitely try to make sure they're down tight before storing for winter this year.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:14 PM   #7

Hey folks, I'm slowly making my way through this project (two kids aged 3 and 1 limit my free time to about 15 minutes per week)

So I've got the rotten wood all replaced, and I'm looking to prep this surface to be resealed. I've used a heat gun and a putty knife to scrape off the OEM sealant (some type of butyl?) but I've got a mix of silicone on there too. Any advice on what to use to clean this up properly?

Thanks in advance, this forum is always a life saver
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-11-03 21.39.02.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	155742   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-11-03 21.38.57.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	155743