Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2016, 06:05 PM   #1

2012 T12SC A-frame skylights leaking, crumbling

2012 T12SC all 3 skylights are coming loose. They are only held on by the sealant, and the sealant has separated from the skylight. Also, all 3 have areas in the corners where "crumbling" is a better description than "cracked".

Has anybody replaced skylights with something different, say aluminum or fibreglass panels? Any tips or hints would be appreciated. Doesn't matter to me if light gets in, as long as water stays out.

I understand that some skylights were under recall, but unless the replacement is far superior and the mounting method improved I don't see the point in simply replacing them.

Thanks!!!
Deemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:29 PM   #2

Skylight and Center Roof Leaks

Same here. 09/02/2016 I purchased a "like new" 2015 Coachmen C12RB, washed it today and one of the front skylights is leaking and the center point of the roof is also not completely sealed and leaks. Here we go...........
rle9599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:21 PM   #3

Fixed it.

Decided I would grab the bull by the horns and not play games with it. Removed the entire skylight. All I had to do was work my fingertips under a corner where the sealant failed, give it a tug, and the whole thing came off. Hmmm... if the wind got under it at highway speed...

Anyway, bought some aluminum at the local metal shop, and weatherstripping and a fibreglass panel from Lowes. Now I have a solidly built, weatherproof lid on the opening. That's all I have time to do right now. Next spring, it will get a window crank and piano hinge so it can be opened. And a screen and insulation too. Haven't decided yet if the two small skylights will simply be replaced with fibreglass panels, or if they will be openable too.

I'm not too pleased with this, if the folks at Forest River are listening. If they care. Considering the number of repairs I've had to put into this trailer after taking it out only three times, I have an opinion of the quality of these units, and it isn't good.
Deemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:54 PM   #4

Still researching a solution. My bubble windows appear to have been installed with clear silicon and from what I've read I need to remove the silicon and re-caulk with clear ProFlex. I still need to look closer at the foam seal where the two roof sides join. I'll let you know as I learn. Richard
rle9599 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, a-frame, crack, dome, frame, leak, skylight