Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2019, 04:30 PM   #1

2015 Palomini 180FB Roof

The front and back of the roof is sealed with a black sticky caulking of some sort that does not do a good job. It is where the rubber roof meets the fiberglass. It is on very thick. It is also around the vents and antenna. I found bubbles in the back interior wall and it took me awhile to realize what they were. The black caulk is very hard to get off. Does anyone have a easy way to get this stuff off?
dave1650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:48 PM   #2
Site Team

Sounds like a previous owner used the wrong stuff. Should be Dicor.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:35 PM   #3

2015 Palomini 180FB Roof

I purchased it new. This is how it came from the factory. It is really hard to find information on this particular model.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:14 AM   #4
Site Team

Pics of this black caulk would be helpful since Dicor usually is white or tan.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 07-08-2019, 04:20 PM   #5

Au contraire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Pics of this black caulk would be helpful since Dicor usually is white or tan.
Au contraire!

Here's a screenshot of the Dicor web page on their consumer lap-sealant products. The first variety listed is black. The OP's post has a good description of the way it removes.

To the OP: The best way to resolve leaks in this area is to remove as much Dicor is easy. Then clean the surrounding area well and run a 6" strip of Eternabond from across the entire width of the area. Eternabond is also available in black although the white is much more common. After you apply the Eternabond, be sure to roll it out firmly. A wallpaper seam roller is a lot less expensive than the roller the Eternabond company offers--just a couple of bucks at Lowes and it will stand up to the job.

Larry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dicor lap sealant.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	209365  
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:43 PM   #6
Site Team

Larry, i did say "usually", not always. Black Dicor is still rarely seen.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:58 PM   #7

I don't believe this black tar like caulk is Dicor. The Dicor I have seen is like rubber. This is like tar and stays somewhat sticky. Leafs and debris stick to it. It is gobbed on pretty thick. There is also a strip of metal across the back just below the roof that may be part of the seal with about 14 screws in it. I contacted the manufacturer and hopefully they will give me some help. If I can get enough old off the Dicor looks like the best solution. Thank you for your post.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:35 PM   #8

Butyl tape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1650 View Post
I don't believe this black tar like caulk is Dicor. The Dicor I have seen is like rubber. This is like tar and stays somewhat sticky. Leafs and debris stick to it. It is gobbed on pretty thick. There is also a strip of metal across the back just below the roof that may be part of the seal with about 14 screws in it. I contacted the manufacturer and hopefully they will give me some help. If I can get enough old off the Dicor looks like the best solution. Thank you for your post.
If it's still sticky and attracts leaves, dirt, and debris, it could be butyl tape:
https://www.amazon.com/Butyl-Black-C.../dp/B01CUBJ4PS

Usually, that's placed between two surfaces, not out in the open. I've had to remove a bunch of it recently (more to come) and I found that it removes best with a really dull putty knife/scraper and judicious use of a heat gun. Get it a little soft, but don't get anything hot enough to damage the roof membrane.

After you get most of it off, scrub the rest off with a rag and mineral spirits. Finish with a wipedown with isopropyl alcohol. (This sounds goofy but it works.)

If it's pretty flat, you could clean it as best you can, and then put the Eternabond over it.

The sealant in Eternabond seeps at the edges and also collects dirt. If it's easily visible, put a thin bead of Dicor along the edges.

Larry
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Old 07-10-2019, 05:08 PM   #9

It isn't butyl tape. It is a thick kind of ruff texture gummy black tar like sealant around everything on the roof and along the width of the front of the roof and the back. I had to reseal the bathroom vent and getting it off took days. I was afraid to use anything to harsh on the roof. It was suggested I try citrus cleaner but everyone thinks it is a self leveling sealant like Dicor. I used Dicor to seal the vent and it is smooth and rubbery and is not piled up like this stuff. I read using a heat gun helps which sounds promising. Where it is stuck to the roof it is really bonded but in some places it just lifts off easily. It seems I will have to just take the time and get it off. Hopefully heat will help. Thanks for your reply
Old 07-10-2019, 05:26 PM   #10
Site Team

Again, pics would help.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:47 PM   #11

Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	209560Click image for larger version

Name:	Above Shower.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	340.8 KB
ID:	209561Click image for larger version

Name:	Back.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	269.4 KB
ID:	209562

Here are pictures of front, back side and shower skylight.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:39 PM   #12

It is Dicor, the roof sealant. I've had mine on for 5 years with only minor re-sealing with more Dicor. Works well, and no need for a major removal and re-seal, as that is how it is supposed to look like.
palomini-er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:03 PM   #13

Black?

Quote:
Attachment 209560Attachment 209561Attachment 209562

Here are pictures of front, back side and shower skylight.
Black? I wonder why they used black on a white roof. White would have been more attractive.

It mostly looks like a typical application except where they slathered it into the rain gutter. Poor workmanship. I'd definitely cut that part out.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomini-er View Post
It is Dicor, the roof sealant. I've had mine on for 5 years with only minor re-sealing with more Dicor. Works well, and no need for a major removal and re-seal, as that is how it is supposed to look like.
Do you think it is Dicor non-sag that makes it look like that? I have the Alpha superflex roof. Where they put the sealant it has leaked and some came up fairly easy and was wet underneath. I would like to take it all off and use a better sealant. Thanks for your reply.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:32 AM   #15

Leaking!

Quote:
Do you think it is Dicor non-sag that makes it look like that? I have the Alpha superflex roof. Where they put the sealant it has leaked and some came up fairly easy and was wet underneath. I would like to take it all off and use a better sealant. Thanks for your reply.
If it is leaking, you may need to do something more than gob more on. And if it's leaking in multiple places, you may really need to strip it all off.

You should contact Alpha and get their recommendations. I don't know what an "Alpha superflex roof" is, but if it flexes so much that it breaks the Dicor seals, then a different product must be used.

Have you considered contacting Palamino to ask what was used, whether there was a "hidden recall" and whether they will cover corrective repair?
Old 08-30-2019, 03:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomini-er View Post
Thank you for your reply.
Do you have a PaloMini TT? I would like to find someone that could look at theirs and tell me if there is sealant along the metal strip that is along the back of the roof. Mine does not have any and I believe I am getting a leak.

Tags
roo, roof