Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2015, 03:11 PM   #1

2016 New Roof

Took delivery of our 2016 Sierra 377flik this past Friday 10/9 from Tom Johnson Camping World in Marion NC. While at the on site campground going over everything, I noticed an issue with the roof. It appears the flashing under the membrane where the roof comes 90 degrees over the side had come loose in a 8" section. This cause the flashing to push up on the roof membrane. Either the rivets or whatever they used popped loose. The tech guys came over and took pics for warranty work and went directly to the service center. I spoke with a service writer the following morning and said the unit would need a new roof. He said he should have authorization in a few days from Forest River. We also had a hydraulic landing gear problem when trying to hook up to drop the unit at the service center. Apparently that was a fuse, but the writer said he would also add that to the RO for warranty work. I spoke with him today and he stated he has heard nothing from Forest River. How long is a reasonable amount of time to wait? We were hoping to try and use the unit again for Thanksgiving weekend. Is there a specific number or person that I can talk to and see if things are progressing? As new as the unit was, I was hoping FR would would possibly expedite the ok on the work. Thanks!!
Wumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:21 AM   #2

We had bought our RV from Bill Plemmons RV in Winston Salem. After about 6 months or so I noticed a "dull" spot on the front cap and took it in to them to evaluate. They said the paint was not adhering properly to the cap so they took pictures and sent them to Forest River.

It took about two weeks before I got the call back from the dealer to bring it in for repair. They took the entire front cap down to the fiberglass, primed and repainted in all the original colors, and replaced the decals. That took about two weeks as well.

I'm happy as it looks better now than it ever did.
Troy, NC
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:33 PM   #3

Wumba, please don't hold your breath waiting on FR to replay .....
Gee Whiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:15 AM   #4

Actually the approval is coming today and the roof work will start Monday. Thanks!
Old 10-28-2015, 11:41 AM   #5

So, the dealer heard back from Forest River Yesterday. They are denying warranty work on the roof. Unbelievable.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:58 AM   #6

Just another example of quality materials, assembled by fine craftsmen, working for a company that always stands behind it's products, (way, way ,way behind it's products).
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:01 AM   #7

Service manager has submitted warranty paperwork again. If denied again, they will be buying the unit back from us and ordering another new one.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wumba View Post
Service manager has submitted warranty paperwork again. If denied again, they will be buying the unit back from us and ordering another new one.
Tom Johnson is a good dealer to work with. We bought ours from the Concord store.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:05 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Not sure they would have to replace the entire roof. I had some staples that were sticking out, and the factory techs were able to remove the top rail, peel back the roof membrane and correct the problem. Not sure why the same can't be done with yours, but your situation may be different. Also not sure why it was denied, I'm betting it goes through the second time around. Maybe they needed more info on the problem.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:27 PM   #10

Just going by what the service manager said. He said if we have to peel it, let's check all of it so we get it done right the first time. There's also a 2 ft wrinkle by the front nose cap that FR also said is cosmetic...lol
Old 11-13-2015, 11:03 PM   #11

I guess second time was the charm. The roof repair has been approved. Only took a month and two tries for FR to approve it...lol.
Old 11-14-2015, 02:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wumba View Post
I guess second time was the charm. The roof repair has been approved. Only took a month and two tries for FR to approve it...lol.

Bad timing but good outcome! Congrats and happy camping!

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R

Tags
roo, roof