Old 05-29-2013, 09:48 PM   #1

Unhappy 335RLT Rear Wall Repair

Well...This is a major repair. I have to work fast due to upcoming trips. The rear wall RH side is totally rotted out. I'll try and document the repair with pictures. Any suggestions along the way are welcome.

After this repair I'll be back on the bedroom slide-out floor replacement. I've been researching and studying how/what to replace the floor with in the slide out. I am thinking 1" starboard (plastic sheet). Forget the Darco...

Anyway, tomorrow the back wall comes out! Pics to follow!

canmannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:35 AM   #2

Some pics of disassembly

Pics of inside and outside of corner. Maybe I'll try a video next.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	31709   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	31710   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	31711   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0089.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	31712   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0072.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	31713  

Old 06-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #3

Finished the rear wall rebuild

Re-engineered the entire wall. Rebuilt the rear wall (a little beefier, see pics) 2x4's around window and perimeter and used 1/4" bathroom wallboard from Lowes for inside paneling. It matches the existing paneling almost perfect. After builiding this wall on the ground I screwed it in place with 3" galvanized exterior deck screws. Used 3/4" plywood for support behind tail lights and where the ladder mounts. Made a very sturdy, solid wall .

Could not get the 1/8" paneling scrapped off the rear wall after I removed the wall. It is glued with some really good glue to the Lamilux 1000 (filon) fiberglass sheet. Also a new piece of Lamilux 1000 with shipping was going to be over $400. So I used 3 sheets of Panolam 1/8-in x 4-ft x 8-ft White Fiberglass Reinforced Wall Panel from Lowes, glued with contact cement to 1/4" luan paneling. After building/gluing up the panel on the garage floor I glued it to the rear wall with liquid nail on all studs, perimeter of back wall. I also screwed to back wall panel around the perimeter and window with 1" stainless steel countersunk screws. Made sure to keep the screws close enough to the edge to be covered with window and edged/corner molding. I then cut out window with a router using panel bit with a bearing. Made a very nice/clean opening to reinstall window. New butyl pautty under all molding/window, egde sealed everything with Proflex, Dicor self leveling on top and dne. I am very happy with the way it turned out. Nnow I just need some cool graphics for the back end . I will post more pics of before, during and after the repair. I have about 100 pics and some video. Anyone know an easy way to post them all or make them available for everyone to see? Thanks, Joel
Old 06-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #4

Can someone let me know if this link to pictures works? Thanks, Joel

https://plus.google.com/photos/11584...KrAqY37oeWviQE
Old 06-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #5

More pics of repair.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11584...CJnUmdLP5sr-OA
Old 06-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #6

Finished job pics.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11584...Pvl1LvFwJrY0QE
Old 05-27-2014, 09:46 AM   #7

Hi Canmannc,

I'm impressed with your repair work! My family just bought our first 5th wheel and unfortunately we were had ;-(. We got the trailer home and were cleaning it in preperation for this memorial day weekend and disovered a water leak on the back wall similar to your situation. When I broke through the wall under the bunkhouse I discovered lots of damage and will have to do the same type of rebuild ;-(. It looks like our slider also has a corner that needs to be redone... UGH, It's so frustrating because I did so much research and yet I still ended up getting into a bad situation. Anyway I was curious how long it took you to do the repairs? I'm taking the trailer to a repair guy this afternoon here in Raleigh to get an idea of how much he would charge. That said I'm fairly handy and have done my share of carpentry. Thus if you wouldn't mind sharing, could you give a ballpark of what you spent to do the repair? Lastly you mentioned that you used 3 pieces of Panolam, yet from the picture I can't see any seams, did you do something to bond them together, etc?

Thanks in advance & I'm sure I'll be asking lots more questions to come... Just out of curiousity, you ever consider doing some repair work on the side?

Thanks
MM
MightyMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:49 PM   #8

Hi MightyMax, Congrats on your new to you 5th Wheel. Bummer it has issues...not to worry almost anything can be fixed. Replacing the rear wall on mine took 3 days...It took 4 people to handle that back wall, stand it in position and screw it in place. 8 feet wide by 8 ft 6" high. Could probably be done faster but I stood around a lot studying, figuring and planning. I believe it was only a couple hundred for material. 3 pieces of Panolam, 3 pieces luan plywood, glue, screws, caulking, new trim inserts and some oak trim. There is a seam in the panolam on each side of the window and in the center below the window. I taped them off and covered them with several layers/coats of Proflex. I noticed the Proflex on the seams is starting to give a little so I'll probably put a strip of stainless boat trim on the seams with butyl rubber putty underneath. Your questions are welcome. I'll do my best to answer them as soon as possible.

So did I consider doing some repair work on the side? Not really but it seems that I spend a lot of time helping out my fellow neighbor campers on their rigs You can do it!! Good luck!!

Joel
New addition "Katmandu" rescue cat from Bear Creek Campground, Asheville on Christmas Day 2013
Camped in 2014 = lost count...but over 40...more to come!
Old 05-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #9

Joel,

Thanks for the input! Yesterday I took my 5er to a guy here in town that appears to have lots of experience. "Jack of all Trades by George" is his Co. Anyway he gave me a fair price for the work and I am able to budget for it so I decided to go that route. It's a little more expensive then if I were to do it myself BUT I don't have to rent a facility to work in & be worried about what is right or wrong with regards to RV carpentry. I'm sure that with time I will learn and do more & more projects on my own, but considering we just got the camper and never even hit the road with it, I opted for someone that has some experience under their belt. I'll be sure to post pics as he said he would place them on Facebook ;-)

Thanks again
MM
MightyMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:25 AM   #10

Sounds good. Suggestion...You will probably be ahead of the game if you also have him go over the whole camper and reseal everything. That's the best insurance against future leaks and damage. Also give you a little peace of mind.

Hopefully he won't have it long and you can get out camping soon!!

Best of luck!!
Joel

New addition "Katmandu" rescue cat from Bear Creek Campground, Asheville on Christmas Day 2013
Camped in 2014 = lost count...but over 40...more to come!