Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #1

352 flfb 2009, roof leaks over front windows.

We have a 2009, 352 FLFB trailer. In the front of the camper, in front of the front windows, there is a lower boxed in area. The metal covering this area over the two swivel chairs started to blister and now water is dripping from a hole in it. I have gone on the roof and caulked everything possible including the sides of this part which overhang outside. I did not see any holes in the roof anywhere. It still leaks and it is starting to rot the wood. I don't know what to do. Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas where water may be coming in from? Any ideas period? Please let me know and thanks. jsaladino8315@charter.net
Joe Saladino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:08 PM   #2

we have the same problem in our 2008 Wildwood. The repairman says its a manufacters defect so how do we deal with this? He wants 2900. to fix it because there is mold inside the ceiling and it will not stop leaking until its fixed.
glnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:34 PM   #3

Here is the defect I have found. There is a defect and it cost me some bucks to fix before I figured it out. Rain water runs along the trough against a clip on the corner covering the trim holding or covering where the roof is attached along the top of the camper. There is nothing inside the clip to prevent the water from entering into tha gap around it and from there, once iside the clip, into the camper. A manufacturers defect which rotted out the front of my camper. They should have canned the brain dead engineer who designed it. They should pay me the cost for half the camper for the amount of money and frustration this has caused me. And unless they do, I will never buy another Forest River, Wildwood, Salem or whatever camper or off brand camper this manufacturer makes again!
Old 08-07-2014, 08:36 PM   #4

Take the corner clip off and fill it with plumbers putty then screw it back into place it. That's all it takes.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:40 PM   #5

Put bleach and water in a spray bottle, put on a painting mask and spray the hell out of the bleach to kill it. Some people get sick from mold so be careful. Then wash it down with pine sol. If you have to cut a hole to get to the area it's at, you can cover the hole with a panel or a vent. please be careful.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:45 PM   #6

$2900 seems like allot unless it's all through your whole roof area but these RV repair people charge the living crap out of you. I just had an electrical inverter replaced and it cost me over $350.00! I should have did it myself for a fraction of the price but I am working all the time as a home inspector.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:12 PM   #7

2008 Wildwood

I really thank you for the info. There must be something we can do about this if it is a defect. I know several others at my campground that have the same problem with the Forest river rvs. I wish I knew how to go about a class action lawsuit. Surely a lawyer or two has bought one of the piece of crap campers. In the meantime I am going to try what you said. I don't have a lot of money to throw away on this. We have only had it 2 months so it sucks that we are stuck with it. I agree with you they build junk and then don't even stand behind it when it falls apart.

Thanks Joe,

Linda Shafer
Old 08-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Saladino View Post
$2900 seems like allot unless it's all through your whole roof area but these RV repair people charge the living crap out of you. I just had an electrical inverter replaced and it cost me over $350.00! I should have did it myself for a fraction of the price but I am working all the time as a home inspector.
I think part of the reason is it couldn't be moved easily so the repairman had to take the whole front off and take it to his shop and replace everything inside. I don't know how bad ours is but its a year older than theirs so the damage is just as bad or worse. It sucks so bad that we put about everything we had into this camper and now we are stuck with it. I had a Sunset 28 ft my husband loved and we never had a problem in 5 yrs, but I wanted a bigger one. So now I will never hear the end of it. lol I can only laugh because if I don't I will cry.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Saladino View Post
I forgot to mention that our neighbors have a 2009 Wildwood same camper and they are the ones who paid the 2900. and told us to check ours . We hadn't noticed anything in the 2 months we have had it but we didn't pull the valance down either. When we did we found the damage just as you and they described. I for one do not want to pay 2900. to fix something that is not our fault.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:56 PM   #10

Unfortunately water is the death of an RV. One has to be extra vigilant with any water intrusion. Once you see a leak you need to get the tarps out to stop any further damage and then address the problem ASAP. Water can be very difficult to figure out where it comes in as it can ride along ridge lines and pop out on the other side to camper.

Use some good quality marine caulk along all the exterior edges of any edge on and around the roof. That should take care of it

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote