Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2014, 12:22 PM   #1

A/C and rain runoff over cab doors

In love with our new 3010 DSF, it's many neat features and creature comforts. That being said trying to figure out what engineer thought it would be a great idea to put the gutter tip on the front on each side right over the cab entry door! When I run the A/C and the moisture runoff runs down the gutter, it inherently runs towards the front when the coach is perfectly level.

When opening the cab doors (especially the passenger side enough to enter or exit the runoff drips onto the inside of the door. And where might one ask does it drip? Of course right onto the electric window and door lock controls.

Curious if anyone else with a Class C (especially a 3010 DS) has this issue and if so what has been done to possibly correct it.

I have seen on the web gutter extenders but don't see that being an option because I can't imagine they would stay attached at highway speeds.

We bought a Class C due to it's ease of entry and needed the bunk space for our three puppy crates.

I do not understand why the factory just couldn't have continued running the gutter so it would drain at the bottom of the curve of the bunk which would put it towards the front fender and not over the door as it currently is.

Looking for a fix that will look good and not jury rigged. Since the color of the gutter is dark grey it will be hard to match if I wanted to try something along the lines of adding additional gutter myself.

Anyone out there that may have a suggestion (especially a FR Rep.) please respond.

Regards,
Dave
Old 06-17-2014, 04:34 PM   #2

I have the EXACT same problem

2014 Sunseeker 3010DS, 2001 Jeep Cherokee toad
tmhyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:35 PM   #3

Here is a video of the issue

Hopefully this quick video will define the issue and help make it clear what the problem is!
Attached Files
Old 08-10-2014, 02:30 PM   #4

I checked the forum today to see if anyone had a solution to this problem. I see I am not alone.

I have the feeling every late model Sunseeker, at the very least the 3010, has the same trouble. We just came back from a seven day trip to North Carolina with 4 straight days of rain. We kept a roll of paper towels up front to mop up the water. I even tried opening an umbrella through a partially opened door. That was more trouble than it was worth. The trip was great in spite of it all.
rdsunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:47 AM   #5

Hi,

I didn't like the water running down the window on my 3010 DS either.
I bought 4 gutter extenders. I painted them Semi gloss black so they
would match the full body paint scheme. When I installed them I
put a small amount of clear silicone sealer where they mount to the
gutter. They have been on there for a year now and they are still
tight. The water drips away from the window and paint. I would highly
recommend doing this. I can take a couple of pictures for you if you would like.

Ron
Ron5613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:11 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
You may or may not consider this "jury rigged" (I don't), but check out this guys solution. With a little effort these extensions could look very "factory" on any rig.

NetBoy's Camper Page
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:36 PM   #7

I did the same. It does a good job keeping the drainage off the over cab window and helps prevent the black streaks. The big problem I think we're all having has to do with opening the doors. With or without the extenders any drainage pours into the inner front door handle and window and lock switches. It's not just rain coming in. It's a stream of water from the gutter. Over time this has to cause a problem. It's a shame you can't use the front doors if there's any moisture about.

rdSunseeker
Old 09-01-2014, 01:06 PM   #8

I looked at the example on Netboy's camper page. I don't think it will work in my case. You can see in the photo the front edge is moulded fiberglass. The curved joint continuing the gutter line between the front and main body of the coach is a rubber seal .

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1409594063.134565.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	500.0 KB
ID:	61939

My Sunseeker is still under extended warranty. I would hate drill any holes in the fiberglass for any attachment and make the case that any future problems were my fault.

rdSunseeker
Old 09-01-2014, 10:42 PM   #9

Do a search for "self-stick rv gutters" . The gutters are made of flexible poly-vinyl material with 3m tape on the back side. I used them on my last motorhome. (Four Winds). They were easy to install and they never came loose. They are flexible
and could be curved down the front of the MH.
Ron5613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:55 PM   #10

Sorry about the time lag. I found a product by by Essentials called EZE gutter. The description sounds like it'll fit the bill. It comes in different lengths from 10 to 100'. Amazon has it for a pretty competitive price. Before I order I'm going to have to determine a way to mate it with the existing gutter. It ends with a short turnout right at the junction of two raised rubber seals from the roof and side.

Tags
door