Old 05-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #1

Adding 2nd ac unit to 30 amp fifth wheel

I am new to this forum, so this horse may have been beaten to death. I have a 2008 Sandpiper 305rlw fifth wheel with 30 amp service. I want to add a second ac unit in the bedroom where the existing vent is located. I will run a separate 20 amp circuit for this unit. My question is this: How do I find out if my roof will withstand the weight of the 13,500 BTU unit? To the best of my knowledge, the unit will weigh about 94 lbs. Please help!

Old 05-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #2

Update: I asked the local dealership if my roof was strong enough to hold a second ac unit. The answer was yes. I had them mount it for me since I had no good way of doing it myself. I was able to run 12 gauge wire through the ceiling into the bedroom closet and thought the floor. I then ran the wire under the camper using gray plastic conduit secured by wire ties. I put a male plug on the end. I used a 12 ga drop cord and ran it to the 20amp duplex outlet on the power pedestal at the camp ground. It's been working great for five days now. I am one happy camper!

Old 05-28-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Good to hear!

Turbs