Old 04-03-2017, 08:16 PM   #1

Adding an antenna - do I need butyl tape?

I'm installing a marine grade XM radio antenna that has a pedestal base that is maybe 3 inches in diameter. It requires 3 screws and a 9/16th hole in the center of the pedestal for the coax cable to pass through. There's a stout rubber gasket that goes between the base and the mounting surface, and I have a rubber roof.

I was planning to use that gasket and afix the base to the roof with the provided screws, then seal the base and cover the screw heads with LAP sealant.

A fellow RV-er told me that I'd need to use butyl tape in addition, and to place the tape on the roof, set the antenna base into it, and then cut away the excess tape before applying the LAP sealant.

This seems like overkill to me, and adds the risk of slicing the roof while trying to cut or peel the excess tape away, but I want to do this the right way.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-03-2017, 09:25 PM   #2

I personally don't think there is such a thing as overkill when it comes to installing something on the roof. You don't have to use a knife blade to clear away the excess butyl tape. It's much like plumbers putty only a little more stubborn and a plastic or wooden utensil could be used. It is certainly a proven product for RV uses such as you are doing. The last time I used it on a rubber roof was replacing a skylight. Never had a leak. It's really your call. JMO.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna