Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2014, 02:33 PM   #1

Advice for keeping bugs and water out of your RV

Ok, This is part rant & part advice
I'm full timing in Florida & I've seriously contemplated getting an ant eater as a pet...A thirsty one

One thing I have leaner about RV's is that they are designed & assembled by people who use very little thought. Everything is just "that'll do" A great idea ruined by people who do just don't give a care about the product they put their name on.

Take a trip to your local hardware and buy some good caulk & some expanding foam (Great Stuff expanding foam works good) now pretend that your a bug and you want out of your camper. You will be amazed on how many holes you will find in your camper. I have used seven tubes of caulk and two cans of foam & I'm still finding places that I've missed...

Start under sinks where pipes go thru walls & floors.
Look where wires go into the walls (behind fireplace, light fixtures, surround sound speakers etc)
Toilet supply line.
Water heater, power & water supply
Furnace, gas & power supply
A/C vents in your roof. My supply ducts were off by a good half inch from where the vent holes were cut in the ceiling & 1/4 of the cold A/C air was leaking into the roof instead of coming into the unit.

When you have the inside done, climb into your storage compartment & keep looking. I used two tubes of caulk & one can of foam just in there where pipes, wires, & water supply lines go thru floors & walls.
check around your power inverter. Mine had an inch gap underneath that a snake could have crawled thru. (no wonder why my storage compartment was so cold in the summer)

Recently I discovered a leak from splitting caulk on the rear cap where ants were getting in. (Not Forest Rivers fault, but mine for not keeping up with out door caulking) I cut a hole in the wall under my rear window to investigate & found rotted wood, and an ant nest. (disgusting!!!) But the sad part was that behind the wall (where two electrical outlets are located) I could see daylight. It turns out that the black fabric that is used as a water shield (I guess that's what it its ?) had two huge slits cut in them for the tail light wires to go thru. So anything from bugs to water could just come right in thru my outlets. Which also means that heat and A/C were just leaking out the same path...
Did I mention that my "four season camper" had very little insulation tossed in behind that wall? Does Forest River have any Quality Assurance personnel on the assembly line???
How does a reputable company build crap like this and take people's hard earned money?

I would love to get a brand new unit, but unless I could be there for every step of the build I'm not giving any of my had earned money to any RV manufacturer.

Before you flame me, keep in mind that I'm well aware that I have a 10 year old unit. I'm not complaining about lack of maintenance issues. (that's my own fault & I blame me, not Forest River) I'm simply addressing and properly repairing issues that should have never existed in the first place. If homes were built with this "half ass-ery" Home builders would all be out of business.
I have since deployed an all out attack on the ground to keep any and all bugs from even getting close to my unit, but I am just astounded on how many infiltration points are on an RV.

Back to Home Depot tomorrow for some good insulation, plywood & expanding foam.
US Navy Persian Gulf Vet 1991-1994
cedar creekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:10 PM   #2

Just got a new 23 footer in June (Rockwood 2306) and first thing we noticed was the infiltration of ants. I looked underneath and saw the same thing you are talking about in that there is no real thought to sealing up the unit from ants. We have taken to spraying rings of ant spray around the wheels and front jack stand.

One time we got back from a trip and I plugged in the unit in our driveway and sprayed the usual circle of protection around the tires. A couple of hours later I saw the stove exhaust vent area had ants closing in on it. I had never before seen ants on the outside walls of the trailer just inside. I looked around and could not see where they came from. Then a little later I finally saw the trail. It was right up the power cord!! The little boogers were marching right up the cord. I should have thought of that. Now I spray the cord and water hose too. This spring I will be doing the caulk and foam thing too.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:40 PM   #3

X2 on the "Does Forest River have any Quality Assurance personnel on the assembly line??". FR (and other manufacturers) must spend a fortune on warranty work. Makes no sense to me.
2017 Ford F350 PSD
GlenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
Just got a new 23 footer in June (Rockwood 2306) and first thing we noticed was the infiltration of ants. I looked underneath and saw the same thing you are talking about in that there is no real thought to sealing up the unit from ants. We have taken to spraying rings of ant spray around the wheels and front jack stand.

One time we got back from a trip and I plugged in the unit in our driveway and sprayed the usual circle of protection around the tires. A couple of hours later I saw the stove exhaust vent area had ants closing in on it. I had never before seen ants on the outside walls of the trailer just inside. I looked around and could not see where they came from. Then a little later I finally saw the trail. It was right up the power cord!! The little boogers were marching right up the cord. I should have thought of that. Now I spray the cord and water hose too. This spring I will be doing the caulk and foam thing too.
Put a few inch wide section of Vasoline an your hose and power cable. ants wont cross it..
Use Terro ant granuals under and around the camper & Terro ant baits inside and by every jack/tire. Anything touching the ground. It's a battle for sure... I've tried other brands but Terro works best.
I've had ants march up my TV cable and enter thru the phone jack plug. They have nothing better to do than look for a way in and they will.
Most recently I had them dropping on the roof from an oak tree and entering thru the grey water vent and coming in thru the drain from my washing machine. It can drive you mad...

lately I've been mixing Borax and sugar water to make my own baits and putting them everywhere in and outside the camper.

You'll beat them if you keep at it. Florida is BAD with ants.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:23 PM   #5

Ya, I discovered Torro near the end of the season and it is good. We are coming to Homosassa, Crystal River, Florida in Feb and I want to be ready for the ants. Staying at Rock Crusher Canyon. Strange name for a campground. I think I better start my ant sealing work when we get a good day of weather here is NC.

Anyone else ever stay at Rock Crusher? Looked good online and good reviews but any up close experience from one of you here is welcome.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:49 PM   #6

I had a snowbird couple from Wisconsin pull in across the street hear, and before the backed in they covered their spot with granuals. She said that they took an ant nest home last year in the RV.
I keep my dog bowl in a larger bowl half full of water It creates a moat & keeps them darn ants out of her food.

Tags
bugs, water