Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2018, 08:38 AM   #1

Age showing. Around windows and doors: How to fix this?

Our Mini is 5 years old this month. Her age is showing around windows and door. The caulk has been slowly spreading out and is now in need of repair. My first thought would be to clean it up and use silicone caulk to seal it. However I have read several times on this forum that silicone and campers don't mix. That might just be on the roof and when matching up to Eternabond and Dicor. What I see there looks like Dicor just old and dried up.

I have used Silicone caulk on many projects over the years and like working with it. Dicor is harder to get a good looking bead and takes forever to cure. I want to wash and wax as soon as I can.

What to do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rockwood-2306-caulk-failing.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	173395  

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:46 AM   #2

They have Dicor for different areas to use on an RV. Nothing for a house is acceptable! Sorry!
Old 05-26-2018, 09:05 AM   #3

You'll be cursing life if you use Silicone.

Don't.

Pro-flex is what I would recommend.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
They have Dicor for different areas to use on an RV. Nothing for a house is acceptable! Sorry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman

Don't.
That's what I figured. Thanks all. Now if it would just stop raining!

Total 239
Old 05-26-2018, 12:19 PM   #5

advice

I got a tube of caulk from the RV dealer(forget the name...just ask)and what i do is ..i use painters tape and tape on both sides of where you placing the caulk about 1/8 in... i put the caulk on and spread it with my finger.... and pull the tape off an it gives you a professional look.....probably it would be good to practice on something b4 you tackle the coach.....good luck
Old 05-26-2018, 01:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyinfla View Post
I got a tube of caulk from the RV dealer(forget the name...just ask)and what i do is ..i use painters tape and tape on both sides of where you placing the caulk about 1/8 in... i put the caulk on and spread it with my finger.... and pull the tape off an it gives you a professional look.....probably it would be good to practice on something b4 you tackle the coach.....good luck
Excellent advice. Some of the newer caulks are starting to spread and clean up much easier. Keeping it in bounds helps.

Also, new caulk over old never looks good. I would use a product like Goo Gone to dissolve the old caulk. It makes for a much nicer new look. Just have to make sure the neighbor isn't doing a rain dance. You need enough time to dissolve the caulk, clean the area, then re-caulk.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:07 PM   #7

x2 on sunnyinfla's recommendation to use tape. It really makes a good finish.

Just be sure to follow the procedure sunnyinfla recommends: Clean; apply tape; caulk; smooth caulk with finger; remove tape immediately while caulk is freshly applied.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:14 PM   #8

use a plastic putty knife and remove all possible old caulk. Clean with paint thinner or some kind of light solvent. Then tape and use a wet finger to spread.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 02:41 PM   #9

A wet finger really helps your finger slide do not use too much pressure and DO NOT use your mouth to wet your finger I DID BAD EXPERANCE
alillico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 02:44 PM   #10
Hank

One thing I did with my 10 year old FW was to buy in bulk and replace all the rubber parts (seals) around the windows. These get hard and discolored over time. It sure made the unit look better along with a new seal for each window. If you are not sure of the type of seal to use some of the online suppliers can send you samples of the different types so you can match it to the type you have on you unit.

Hank
Henry Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 03:03 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
What you are looking at is the putty tape squeezing out. Most manufacturers use it between flanges and siding, It is an excellent sealant. I don't know that you need to do anything at this time. You might check the tightness of the screws on the inside. . Because of what it is you need to do nothing unless there is a gap between the wall and window,.
Here are my suggestions.
1) Get new putty tape at an Rv dealer, Camping World or on line. Remove the windows, clean the old stuff off with a plastic putty knife, lay a new ribbon on the siding and reinstall the window. Tighten and a few days later scrape the remaining that is oozing.
2) Scrape what is shown and do nothing
3) Scrape what is shown with a plastic putty knife and get either Geoflex, Proflex or Dicor non-sag sealant and lay a thin bead across the top and down the sides about 3/4's of the length. Tape before caulking if you desire.
The horizontal edging along the front of my camper has done the same thing but I can see what is left between the trim and siding and it is still in good shape.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 03:38 PM   #12

following ...would love to do this to ours (5 yrs with us this year also!)

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:50 PM   #13
WaitnToRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post

Don't.

Can someone please explain to me why using silicone is not good. I've used it for a few years around the window and door seals with no apparent issues.
Windspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windspell View Post
Can someone please explain to me why using silicone is not good. I've used it for a few years around the window and door seals with no apparent issues.
Nothing else will stick to the silicone in the future.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
use a plastic putty knife and remove all possible old caulk. Clean with paint thinner or some kind of light solvent. Then tape and use a wet finger to spread.
Good Idea !!!
But,,, what you are looking @ is old dried up discollard putty !!!
May not even need any caulk ???

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Good Idea !!!
But,,, what you are looking @ is old dried up discollard putty !!!
May not even need any caulk ???

is old dried up discollard putty Reson enough for me. Water goes past old dried up discolored putty. It's old under the trim/rubber as it is where you can see it.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:58 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
is old dried up discollard putty Reson enough for me. Water goes past old dried up discolored putty. It's old under the trim/rubber as it is where you can see it.
But the old Putty has never been introduced to the Sun !!!
If windows were installed properly,,, putty will keep windows sealed for many many Years !!! If using caulk make ya happy that is what you should do !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
But the old Putty has never been introduced to the Sun !!!
If windows were installed properly,,, putty will keep windows sealed for many many Years !!! If using caulk make ya happy that is what you should do !!!

We are talking about RV windows. They move. Your house windows don't. Installed properly is also a key word here.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:02 PM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Pro-Flex Caulk or remove the window and reset with new Butyl Caulk Tape for a more permanent fix.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 03:20 PM   #20

Thanks everyone, a lot of good info.
Just got done with an inspection. Interestingly enough the side of trailer that is in the sun parked at my house had this problem. The shady side didn't. So the sun and heat did this. I dug into the dried caulk a little and it is still fresh looking and pliable underneath. I haven't had any leaks and don't think it is dangerously close to leaking so I don't think I will pull the windows . I have a tube of Pro-Flex I picked up yesterday and will start the process. Also in the middle of packing wheel bearings so time is short. We have already been camping but have 2 weekends off.

Total 239

Tags
door, show, window