Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2014, 06:05 PM   #1

Alpha System roof on 2015 Windjammer

Can I use 303 Aerospace Protectant on Alpha Systems roofs?
Also what roof lap sealants are used, mine is a brownish colored roof with matching lap sealant caulking, what brand is this sealant that matches the roof color? I would ask Forest River but they don't talk to their customers nor do they provide any means for customers to contact them that I'm able to find.

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:48 PM   #2

I wish some one would answer you question is just purchased a windjammer 2015. And what product are you asking about to put on the roof?
mnnsdad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:15 PM   #3

On my old 2010 Keystone TT had a EPDM rubber roof, requiring bi-monthly cleaning and applying of UV protector to prevent caulking. The best UV protector that I know about is 303 Aerospace Protectant and I have a gallon left over from my old TT. My new Windjammer doesn't have the same type of roof, anyway doesn't have the appearance or feel of a EPDM roof and it seems like I've read somewhere that it's a ALPHA Roof System. I'm wondering if my 303 Aerospace Protectant will harm it or if it's even needs a UV protector. My second question is about the lap sealant/caulking. I can't find a brown or tan color anywhere and that's what the factory used. I'm wanting to added two Fan-tastic Ultrabreeze Vent Cover and they require the screws to be installed and covered with lap sealant. I would like to have it match what the factory used.
Congrads on your new Windjammer, we love ours....

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:54 AM   #4

Just an update in case you missed it:

COPIED::
http://www.all-rite.com/alpha-roofing-p-402.html
Forest River said that its OK to walk on a AlphaRoof as long as you do not have hard shoes or use sharp objects in the cleaning process. I got on the roof barefoot and used Spic-Span (recommended) and a long handle medium bristle brush and my roof is white again. Its amazing how slick the AlphaRoof is, water beads and runs right off. Much better than my old Sunline roof.
I just called Alpha and asked the correct way to take care of my new Flagstaff roof. I asked if I needed to use RV roof cleaning and preservative chemical. They said use Murphy's oil soap or Dawn dish detergent only. I asked about the dawn drying it out and she said this is not a worry. only use Murphy's, it cleans well and removes stains, I wouldn't recommend walking barefoot on a wet soapy (super slick) roof, wear rubber sole shoes
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:48 AM   #5

Thanks billb800si alpha also has their own sight don't know how to post here I called alpha to double check on sealing the roof and was told Do Not seal an alpha roof just clean with spic and span or Murphy's soap upon inspection of my 2015 vibe I found a hole and the lap sealant on the nose cone had several huge air pockets that had opened up and was allowing water in . being a commercial roofer I duct taped them and returned my trailer to the dealer for repair since any repair that I would have done would have voided my warranty.
timothy clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:43 AM   #6

More info here. Product Care & Warranty - Alpha Systems, LLC
Proud To Be An American
Max Windjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy clancy View Post
..... upon inspection of my 2015 vibe I found a hole and the lap sealant on the nose cone had several huge air pockets that had opened up and was allowing water in .
=======================

Tim,
Do you remember if the Alpha material is attached to the top of the sidewalls? Many trailers seal their roof material at the top of the roof where it meets the sidewall. On the Rockwood Signatures the roof rolls over the edge and is attached to the top side of the wall.

I don't like seals on the top of the roof- chance of too many leaks then.
Thanks,
Old 02-16-2015, 09:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb800si View Post
=======================

Tim,
Do you remember if the Alpha material is attached to the top of the sidewalls? Many trailers seal their roof material at the top of the roof where it meets the sidewall. On the Rockwood Signatures the roof rolls over the edge and is attached to the top side of the wall.

I don't like seals on the top of the roof- chance of too many leaks then.
Thanks,
billb800si, You ask about the Rockwood Signatures roof application vs other units. The Rockwood/Flagstaff units all go down the Same line,the (Roof application area) is the same for all! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
billb800si, You ask about the Rockwood Signatures roof application vs other units. The Rockwood/Flagstaff units all go down the Same line,the (Roof application area) is the same for all! Youroo!!
============================

Yes, I understand that. But in this case we are referring to a standard Rockwood Signature (flat front) and a Rockwood Windjammer (V-Nose front).
I just wanted to be sure that there wasn't any roof seams on top of the roof to contend with. Rolling the Alpha roof over the edge of the wall and then stapling it is what I prefer. Less seams = less leaks.

Found out that that they do roll it over the edge.
Happy trails,
Old 02-16-2015, 11:34 AM   #10

The Windjammer & V-Lite front Nose caps have a (24"?) seam at the Roof! The (Flat? or Nose cap units) have a (96+") seam! All units have a (96+")seam at the (Roll in the rear! The (Sides )are all the Same in regards to install! This is for (Rockwood/Flagstaff) units Mfg.at the F/R plant in Millersburg,In. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:57 PM   #11

Ok guys thanks for the input forest river called me and it's a tpo roof alpha system picking up tomorrow at dealer wil be bringing ladder to inspect their fix
Old 02-21-2015, 08:00 PM   #12

Also it's a one piece no seems and rolled over sides where it's secured via channel gutter

Tags
roo, roof, windjammer