Old 08-22-2014, 11:58 PM   #1
Bathroom skylight crack

My skylight has a crack in the corner, does not look like any water has come in. Called FR about 6 months ago they told me mine was installed after the recall. I find it hard to believe that this is not one of the recall skylights because every post I read about it sounds just like my problem. So I'm looking at changing it myself but I was wondering if anyone knows if you have to put a skylight back or could you put an aluminum plate or something else? The reason I'm asking this is it seems like sooner or later it will have to be changed again, I would like to do a permanent fix.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

mstell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:49 AM   #2
Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
My 2013 Rockwood 8289WS just got the cracked skylight syndrome...discovered it minutes after taking this picture on our last camping trip. Anyway, I ordered a Lexan Skylight from these guys rather than replace it with another cheap factory one. Replacement RV Skylights from EZ Tops World Wide Inc. It was less than $100 including shipping. Should hold up better...especially with the care I will take installing it.

I read about the recall but didn't waste my time calling FR, since there was no damage (rot) to the roof and I didn't buy the trailer new.

My skylight had more than half a dozen small cracks each coming from various screw holes. "The" crack extended up from a screw hole almost to the top of the dome. The hail we had just experienced may have extended that crack, but in general the cracks were obviously old and related to improper installation. Some of the screws were rusted and there were a few old dirt trails from water on the inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rain.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	61922  
'04 GMC Sierra 2500HD, CCSB, D/A, MaxBrake, B&W Companion, Retrax Pro, AR Power Steps
2013 Rockwood 8289WS w/Diamond pkg
1969 Camaro RS/SS Convertible
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote

light, roo