Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2019, 12:00 PM   #1

Bathroom Vent Stops spinning

The vent in my bathroom comes on and works at all 3 speeds, but only for a few minutes and then it turns off. Sometimes if I take the fuse out it will start again, or sometimes I have to let it sit for awhile.

I am assuming that it is maybe heating up? Or could the fuse be bad even though it is still working?

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-24-2019, 12:29 PM   #2

You didn’t say the fan type.... some of the newfangled ones are remote/transistorized/complicated. If it’s regular there can’t be many things wrong.
DC doesn’t care how many volts as long as it runs.
How old is it? Is the lid opened 1/2 way or more? Do you have a cover on it? Did it used to work?
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:49 PM   #3

I guess more details would help.... 2006 Wildwood destination trailer.

Original Fan. Has a cover but fan has always worked up until recently.

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2019, 01:40 PM   #4

There are countess replacement options.... from $20 to dang those are high. If you play with it for long you have spent more than it's worth. You can find the model number and search for replacement parts or buy a new one. If you use it I would seek a higher velocity than the standard fan(this is also assuming the PM RV has the same fan).

Sorry I wasn't more help.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:43 PM   #5

Thanks! and it did help.. lol! Ill check for some replacement fans, because we use it a lot.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:11 PM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

I’m not recommending Camping World, but here’s the best replacement for the money, and you can do it all from inside. No need to climb on the roof or disturb your seal of the original roof vent.

I replaced our factory piece of crap vent, with this one, and the improvement is worth it. Maybe not a lot quieter, but definitely moves the air much much better.

I also rewired the on/off switch from the unit, to a switch on the wall that my vertically challenged wife can reach.

Just my $0.02

https://www.campingworld.com/vortex-...ade-49448.html

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:27 PM   #7

Awesome! I was not looking forward to having to mess with the seal on the roof. I will definitely check it our! Thanks!
Jimh64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:00 PM   #8
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Or, you could try cleaning the motor with an electronic spray cleaner, a drop or 2 of high quality electric motor oil (if it is not “oilite or silicone impregnated” type bearings.). Many of these 12 volt fans have a sensor to shut them off if they get too warm from running. Or, as other posters have said, get a slip-in replacement.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie1138 View Post
Or, you could try cleaning the motor with an electronic spray cleaner, a drop or 2 of high quality electric motor oil (if it is not “oilite or silicone impregnated” type bearings.). Many of these 12 volt fans have a sensor to shut them off if they get too warm from running. Or, as other posters have said, get a slip-in replacement.
That's exactly what I did and it works fine. Before cleaning, I purchased a new one just in case it didn't work. It's still in the box sitting on a storage shelf in case I do need a replacement.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:04 PM   #10
Always Learning

Different vent/fan, but I've replaced the motor in mine twice now. Not super expensive and fairly easy to change.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:51 PM   #11

I have seen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimh64 View Post
The vent in my bathroom comes on and works at all 3 speeds, but only for a few minutes and then it turns off. Sometimes if I take the fuse out it will start again, or sometimes I have to let it sit for awhile.

I am assuming that it is maybe heating up? Or could the fuse be bad even though it is still working?

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
I have seen--just a couple of times in my long life--a fuse with a hairline crack. It would carry current for a while and then open, and stay open until you removed power for a short time. Then it would conduct again.

Look for a fuse on the fan. Ours has a fuseholder right next to the control. Replace the fuse, even if it looks good, and see what happens.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:59 PM   #12

Had an issue with the Maxxair fan in our 2511s, I didn't hear mention of your brand .Fan would stop after a few seconds but would stay running on high speed. After checking for loose connections and finding none, I contacted Airxcel, the mfg of the fan and explained the problem. Great company, they sent me a new circuit board (fan speed controler ) with instructions on how to replace. All is fine now. Top notch customer service.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:15 PM   #13

If you had posted this two weeks ago, I would have sent you a new fan motor. I replaced the fan in our new Crusader Lite with a Fantastic Fan and had the fan I removed in my shop. I threw it away two weeks ago, knowing I would never reinstall it.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
I’m not recommending Camping World, but here’s the best replacement for the money, and you can do it all from inside. No need to climb on the roof or disturb your seal of the original roof vent.

I replaced our factory piece of crap vent, with this one, and the improvement is worth it. Maybe not a lot quieter, but definitely moves the air much much better.

I also rewired the on/off switch from the unit, to a switch on the wall that my vertically challenged wife can reach.

Just my $0.02

https://www.campingworld.com/vortex-...ade-49448.html
I just bought one of those fans through eBay. The install instructions seem simple enough but I have not had time to do the install yet.

DW is kind of short so Im going to put a remote switch on the wall near the kitchen sink so she won't have to reach up to turn it on.

PS. I paid what camping world has it listed for in the link, the price of a one speed fan. But when it arrived I was sent a 3 speed fan
Old 06-26-2019, 06:47 AM   #15

Thanks for the advice! I might try both ideas.. I’m not sure where to find the electronic cleaner, but I’m going to look today. Reviews say the replacement fan moves more air even though it’s only one speed so it might be worth changing it. Thanks!
Old 06-28-2019, 06:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
I just bought one of those fans through eBay. The install instructions seem simple enough but I have not had time to do the install yet.

DW is kind of short so Im going to put a remote switch on the wall near the bathroom sink so she won't have to reach up to turn it on.

PS. I paid what camping world has it listed for in the link, the price of a one speed fan. But when it arrived I was sent a 3 speed fan
OK, I just finished the install. I find the fan, even on high is more quite than the old Ventiline

I also did the remote. I was not happy with the position of the bathroom light switch, too high up on the wall for my taste, so I incorporated a fix for that with the remote install.

Basically I mounted a residential type switch below the original RV type light switch. This new switch now controls the light. The original RV type switch now controls the fan.

Here are a couple pics to show what it looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fan (Vortex).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	208414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fan & Light switches.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	208415  

Tags
bathroom, roo, vent