Old 09-29-2018, 05:33 PM   #1

Be warned, Don't use your ladder to roof.

Warning, warning, if you can use another ladder other than the one attached to your van then do it. Our 2013 Windjammer developed two large bubbles (loaf of bread sizes) on the side rear panels. The insurance assessor with his moisture meter tracked the access point back to the outside ladder mounting bracket on the roof. After watching the very portly gentleman climb the ladder and all of the brackets straining under his weight I'm not surprised that a stress crack has developed. 2 quotes later $6,500 and $8,000 and the insurance company declining our claim because it was not the result of an accident. We're on our own.
By the way, while I was up on the roof recaulking the offending bracket, I noticed that the original caulking, now 5 years old, needs some TLC, has anyone just reapplied new caulking over old (cleaned) caulking. I'm trying to save a few days work removing the old stuff. Call me lazy, but lifes to short.
Cheers
Brett from down under (not Australia)

buzzliteyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:13 PM   #2

I have researched and found that you don't remove the old caulking. In fact if you don't have gobs of caulking after a few years you are probably not maintaining your roof well enough. Personally I wipe the caulk down with mineral spirits and apply the new caulk over the old. I expect after many years if it gets too thick I will trim it down with a razor scraper blade. Careful if you trim it not to nick your roof.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:22 PM   #3

Anytime I recaulk anything the old comes off and the new goes down. Roof, sides, anywhere.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:52 PM   #4

I always considered the ladder an “emergency use on the road” item. Surely people know to use a regular ladder at home while doing maintenance?
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:16 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

200ish and use the OEM ladder for roof maintenance. Retired camper after 10 years and never had an issue. We DID Eternabond the ladder (and all other roof penetrations) when new. I also replaced the screws with stainless ones as needed (rust).
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:28 PM   #6

Moral of the story; check your roof at least once a year. There’s an old saying in the boating world; a boat never breaks down at the lake, it broke down in the driveway but the owner just didn’t know it. As to caulk I always remove the old and replace with the proper stuff.
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Anytime I recaulk anything the old comes off and the new goes down. Roof, sides, anywhere.
This. ^^^^^^^^

New caulk over old caulk is never good. It might make it look nicer for a little while and stop a leak for a little while, but, for the most part, new caulk doesn’t bond to old caulk very well — especially silicone.

Bruce
Old 09-30-2018, 06:14 AM   #8
Site Team

That's why manuals always say to check calling, seals, sealants, etc annually.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:31 AM   #9
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzliteyear View Post
Warning, warning, if you can use another ladder other than the one attached to your van then do it. Our 2013 Windjammer developed two large bubbles (loaf of bread sizes) on the side rear panels. The insurance assessor with his moisture meter tracked the access point back to the outside ladder mounting bracket on the roof. After watching the very portly gentleman climb the ladder and all of the brackets straining under his weight I'm not surprised that a stress crack has developed. 2 quotes later $6,500 and $8,000 and the insurance company declining our claim because it was not the result of an accident. We're on our own.
By the way, while I was up on the roof recaulking the offending bracket, I noticed that the original caulking, now 5 years old, needs some TLC, has anyone just reapplied new caulking over old (cleaned) caulking. I'm trying to save a few days work removing the old stuff. Call me lazy, but lifes to short.
Cheers
Brett from down under (not Australia)
Checking the roof yearly and doing proper maintenance prevents such issues. Also be aware that latters do have a weight limit of 300# Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10 gear
Days camped 2017 62
Days camped 2018 67
Days camped 2019 38
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:57 AM   #10

Our TT is only 5 months old and I noticed the dicor around the ladder mounts need attention. I say check the roof a couple few times every year.

Tags
roo, roof