Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2018, 05:33 PM   #1

Be warned, Don't use your ladder to roof.

Warning, warning, if you can use another ladder other than the one attached to your van then do it. Our 2013 Windjammer developed two large bubbles (loaf of bread sizes) on the side rear panels. The insurance assessor with his moisture meter tracked the access point back to the outside ladder mounting bracket on the roof. After watching the very portly gentleman climb the ladder and all of the brackets straining under his weight I'm not surprised that a stress crack has developed. 2 quotes later $6,500 and $8,000 and the insurance company declining our claim because it was not the result of an accident. We're on our own.
By the way, while I was up on the roof recaulking the offending bracket, I noticed that the original caulking, now 5 years old, needs some TLC, has anyone just reapplied new caulking over old (cleaned) caulking. I'm trying to save a few days work removing the old stuff. Call me lazy, but lifes to short.
Cheers
Brett from down under (not Australia)
buzzliteyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:13 PM   #2

I have researched and found that you don't remove the old caulking. In fact if you don't have gobs of caulking after a few years you are probably not maintaining your roof well enough. Personally I wipe the caulk down with mineral spirits and apply the new caulk over the old. I expect after many years if it gets too thick I will trim it down with a razor scraper blade. Careful if you trim it not to nick your roof.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:22 PM   #3

Anytime I recaulk anything the old comes off and the new goes down. Roof, sides, anywhere.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:52 PM   #4

I always considered the ladder an “emergency use on the road” item. Surely people know to use a regular ladder at home while doing maintenance?
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:16 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

200ish and use the OEM ladder for roof maintenance. Retired camper after 10 years and never had an issue. We DID Eternabond the ladder (and all other roof penetrations) when new. I also replaced the screws with stainless ones as needed (rust).
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:28 PM   #6

Moral of the story; check your roof at least once a year. There’s an old saying in the boating world; a boat never breaks down at the lake, it broke down in the driveway but the owner just didn’t know it. As to caulk I always remove the old and replace with the proper stuff.
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Anytime I recaulk anything the old comes off and the new goes down. Roof, sides, anywhere.
This. ^^^^^^^^

New caulk over old caulk is never good. It might make it look nicer for a little while and stop a leak for a little while, but, for the most part, new caulk doesn’t bond to old caulk very well — especially silicone.

Bruce
Old 09-30-2018, 06:14 AM   #8
Site Team

That's why manuals always say to check calling, seals, sealants, etc annually.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:31 AM   #9
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzliteyear View Post
Warning, warning, if you can use another ladder other than the one attached to your van then do it. Our 2013 Windjammer developed two large bubbles (loaf of bread sizes) on the side rear panels. The insurance assessor with his moisture meter tracked the access point back to the outside ladder mounting bracket on the roof. After watching the very portly gentleman climb the ladder and all of the brackets straining under his weight I'm not surprised that a stress crack has developed. 2 quotes later $6,500 and $8,000 and the insurance company declining our claim because it was not the result of an accident. We're on our own.
By the way, while I was up on the roof recaulking the offending bracket, I noticed that the original caulking, now 5 years old, needs some TLC, has anyone just reapplied new caulking over old (cleaned) caulking. I'm trying to save a few days work removing the old stuff. Call me lazy, but lifes to short.
Cheers
Checking the roof yearly and doing proper maintenance prevents such issues. Also be aware that latters do have a weight limit of 300# Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:57 AM   #10

Our TT is only 5 months old and I noticed the dicor around the ladder mounts need attention. I say check the roof a couple few times every year.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 01:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzliteyear View Post
Cheers
A moisture meter! C’mon man!!! I’ve heard it all now!
mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 01:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mule View Post
A moisture meter! C’mon man!!! I’ve heard it all now!
https://www.grainger.com/content/qt-...ure-meters-346
tlspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 01:59 PM   #13

And don’t hang anything heavy on ladders either
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:01 PM   #14

Forget chalking! From past experience with a Class A, I used Earthabond (sp) tape on all the caulked locations on the roof and forgot about them. Did not want to screw around with cleaning and recaulking. (Sorry for the spelling error)
Old 09-30-2018, 03:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo View Post
Forget chalking! From past experience with a Class A, I used Earthabond (sp) tape on all the caulked locations on the roof and forgot about them. Did not want to screw around with cleaning and recaulking. (Sorry for the spelling error)
Do you lay it down over or remove?
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:24 PM   #16
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiels7 View Post
Do you lay it down over or remove?

After cleaning the area to lay the Eternabond with mineral spirits on a rag, followed by denatured alcohol on a rag you apply the eternabond right on top of the caulking. Lay the Eternabond and roll it down with a seam roller. Once the Eternabond touches the roof or caulking it is difficult to remove, once you roll it down with pressure it's almost impossible to remove. Follow the directions that come with the Eternabond and it is good for 10 years.
You can read all about the application on Eternabonds web site. http://www.eternabond.com
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
After cleaning the area to lay the Eternabond with mineral spirits on a rag, followed by denatured alcohol on a rag you apply the eternabond right on top of the caulking. Lay the Eternabond and roll it down with a seam roller. Once the Eternabond touches the roof or caulking it is difficult to remove, once you roll it down with pressure it's almost impossible to remove. Follow the directions that come with the Eternabond and it is good for 10 years.
You can read all about the application on Eternabonds web site. http://www.eternabond.com
Thank you I think I will be making this a winter project.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:54 PM   #18

I have no one else to blame but me if my ladder causes a problem because I installed it. Five years so far with no issues.

I've replaced bad sections of caulking on the roof. Well, they really weren't that bad but why take a chance? Just removed or cleaned out the questionable section and lay some self leveling caulk over it. Again, 5 years of being outside in the weather with no leaks. You just have to be vigilant about these things.

I see other RVs in the storage yard that are literally falling apart. I guess their owners just don't care.
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:33 PM   #19

Might be smart to check after any major trip because flexing can cause cracks in Dicor over seams where water will infiltrate.
Kayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:16 PM   #20

REALLY your Ins Co refused to pay as it wasn't from impact damage. I have Progressive & they gave me the same excuse for my roof damage! Time to get another Ins Co, one that actually will pay up!
Dave
snoopy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof