Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2010, 10:51 PM   #1

Best Vent Cover for Fantistic Fans

I would like to install vent covers over two fantastic fans. I have checked the RVW website and there are two products recommended for use over powered fans. The
Fan/Mate Vent Rain Cover - Model 850 - $90 +$18 shipping

or

Aero-Flo Roof Vent - $25

Any opinions as to the difference and is the first one somehow better? I had one of the standard ones on my last TT and it allowed me to keep the vents open 24/7 year round.

Mike
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:28 PM   #2
The Old Man

I installed a MaxxAir II and it seems to work just fine even on the highest speed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0350.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	3906  

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:11 AM   #3

I have the Aero-Flo on my two and am happy with them
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis View Post
I installed a MaxxAir II and it seems to work just fine even on the highest speed.
I have the same setup... Works great! (and cheap!)

happy camping
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #5

I had a Maxxair cover on a previous camper that was a lot more streamlined and about twice as expensive as the Maxxair II shown in some photos here. I can't remember the model number on it. I had the impression at the time that the Maxxair II was not designed for the high-speed, powerful fans, but if the guys on here say it works fine, then that's the one I would get rather than the more expensive model.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:01 PM   #6
The Old Man

I usually run my fan on low anyway. Even on low the Fantastic Fans are...well...fantastic.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:38 PM   #7

I figured as much. The more expensive unit may provide better flow but the only time we run the fan on high is when we don't have shore power to run the AC.

Thanks

MIke
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
I had a Maxxair cover on a previous camper that was a lot more streamlined and about twice as expensive as the Maxxair II shown in some photos here. I can't remember the model number on it. I had the impression at the time that the Maxxair II was not designed for the high-speed, powerful fans, but if the guys on here say it works fine, then that's the one I would get rather than the more expensive model.
The air flow is so free that it will pull my bathroom door shut if it is open an inch or two (with some windows open). You can actually open it and clean it from the outside... I think I will replace my maxxair I's on my roof vents - maxxair II's also look better!

happy camping,
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineysideup View Post
You can actually open it and clean it from the outside...
Yes, there are two clips that you can pull out without tools to open the MaxxAir II. I have a regular MaxxAir on my front vent (no fan) that was installed by the dealer before I bought the unit and to open that one I need to remove 4 nuts. I like the hinged version better.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:27 PM   #10

Bad Luck with Fender Skirts!

Very new to the camping world, we purchased our first in July of 2009 a Flagstaff Superlite 26RLSS. Camped lots all summer and then again this summer. Purchased during the bad economy times and got new one but been on lot for 2 years. On road to our last camping for this year a tire blew out and we didn't hear or feel a thing. Someone drove up beside us to tell us. Changed with help of passer-byer to spare. Driving on the blown tire caused the pieces of tire to flap and crack the wheel pan under the the camper and the fender skirt piece as well as damaged the hose to heater vent. . After 1795.93 dollars later, we were on road home with camper to park for the winter. Another tire blew, this time we HEARD the POW and stopped quickly, but this was on the other side and it still cracked and broke off the fender skirt? How can we find just one and replace this again without a HUGE bill. looks simple to screw on but where would we find one? Thanks for any and all advice for two old seniors who have fallen inlove with camping. Jan
JanSWells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:40 PM   #11

JanSWells, try this site??

Travel Star Products | Products
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:58 PM   #12

Maxxair II here.

One in the back over the vent, one int he front over the Fantastic.

Great addition, lots of flow, good price. I highly recommend a maxxair II cover over a fan.

"Fanmate" by MAxxair is what the others are refering to for a high flow fan. But it's also double the price of a MaxxairII and as mentioned, the maxxairII works just fine.

You money, your choice...

great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:04 PM   #13

From what I read the Maxx Air 850 is for High powered fans and with its design doesnt look like rain could blow in very easily, any way thats the one I was maybe getting, $85.65 on Amazon.com, no tax, free shipping. I have bought other things from them have always rec'd them fairly quick, I did have to return something expected a bunch of flack, but no problem.
shoe2728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:07 PM   #14

Thanks Fonz. will check that one out. I noticed on my bill from first blow out that the dealer charged me 85 for that one.
JanSWells is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan