Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2017, 08:34 AM   #1

Bubble under roof

Just trying to get some more experience to weigh in here. My family and I live in a 2017 Salem Hemisphere Lite 356QB. Monday is maintenance Monday for me. Yesterday I went up on the roof to check for any signs of hail damage after our last storm. I didn't find anything wrong the membrane is intact and the dicor looks good. What I did find is a very large bubble, like 2-3' across and probably 3-4' in length. I'm was probably puffed up an inch or two. It was next to the forward A/C but seemed to be the same temp as the rest of the membrane so I don't think it was air leaking from the A/C somehow getting under there. I pushed it back down with my hand and it stayed down.

So the question is, how do they install the membrane? Is it supposed to be held down with some kind of contact cement or is it held down by the mechanical fasteners along the borders? Should I contact FR about warranty or just ignore it?
skidsareforkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:00 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Large Bubble

I had a large bubble on my roof near the rear of the roof. It was not quite as large as you described. I contacted Forest River about it with pictures. I was informed it would eventually go away in time. Sure enough
about six months later I checked the roof and it was gone. I guess the air has to leak from under the bubble for it did go down completely.
Some and maybe all of the RV's are air tested for leaks by applying a small
amount of air to the whole inside of the RV to look for water bubbles by applying soapy water to various lights, seams ETC on the outside. This may have caused your bubble from the air test.

Good luck.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidsareforkids View Post
Just trying to get some more experience to weigh in here. My family and I live in a 2017 Salem Hemisphere Lite 356QB. Monday is maintenance Monday for me. Yesterday I went up on the roof to check for any signs of hail damage after our last storm. I didn't find anything wrong the membrane is intact and the dicor looks good. What I did find is a very large bubble, like 2-3' across and probably 3-4' in length. I'm was probably puffed up an inch or two. It was next to the forward A/C but seemed to be the same temp as the rest of the membrane so I don't think it was air leaking from the A/C somehow getting under there. I pushed it back down with my hand and it stayed down.

So the question is, how do they install the membrane? Is it supposed to be held down with some kind of contact cement or is it held down by the mechanical fasteners along the borders? Should I contact FR about warranty or just ignore it?
Your roof is laminated, with the rubber then the plywood, then the Styrofoam Insulation, which have the a/c channeled through for the duct work and then your ceiling. It all one piece. THEN it is bolted to your walls and caps. When the weather gets warmer it will probably shrink down, saying that I would still keep an eye on it. If your in warranty, take a picture send it to your dealer and FR. Just to cover your butt.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:34 PM   #4

I have about 10 bubble on my TPO roof. 2015 27VRL. There is no indication that it's from water as the bubble are air tight. They won't go down when I press on them as they are sealed in there. I can feel the glue underneath is still tacky. Bubbles range from 1-3" in size. I've not had any leaks and have kept up with roof maintenance. Wonder if it's just due to the weather we've been having.

Going to take some pics and send to FR and my dealer. Noticed them yesterday when I was cleaning the roof.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
I have about 10 bubble on my TPO roof. 2015 27VRL. There is no indication that it's from water as the bubble are air tight. They won't go down when I press on them as they are sealed in there. I can feel the glue underneath is still tacky. Bubbles range from 1-3" in size. I've not had any leaks and have kept up with roof maintenance. Wonder if it's just due to the weather we've been having.

Going to take some pics and send to FR and my dealer. Noticed them yesterday when I was cleaning the roof.
That is pretty normal at times it is the gas from the glue, I would keep a eye on them but they will probably shrink back up with the summer heat. Take a picture an document the problem. try to mark the size so you can tell if they are growing or shrinking. not alot to worry about right now IMO.... PS: you also have a 10 year warranty on your roof.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
That is pretty normal at times it is the gas from the glue, I would keep a eye on them but they will probably shrink back up with the summer heat. Take a picture an document the problem. try to mark the size so you can tell if they are growing or shrinking. not alot to worry about right now IMO.... PS: you also have a 10 year warranty on your roof.
Well, now I can tell my wife that I'm not the only thing around here with gas problems.

Tags
roo, roof