Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2013, 06:05 AM   #1

Bugs getting in

We recently bought a new 2014 Sandpiper 35ROK fifth wheel. We love everything about it except for one thing. We have only got to camp in it one time since we bought it. We live in southern Ohio and this time of year we have a serious problem with stink bugs and lady beetles. Our camper has become infested with the bugs twice. I left it parked on the driveway with the slides out and there were literally hundreds of them in the camper. We vacuumed them all out and closed the slides. After a couple of weeks we had the same problem. If the camper is closed up tight, how are they getting in, especially in the huge numbers. I'm wondering if the slides aren't sealing properly. I traded in another brand of travel trailer with two slides and never had this kind of problem. Any ideas?
Fine409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:37 AM   #2
Professional Curmudgeon

Those infernal bugs are dedicated to forcing their way into our homes, including the camper. I have opened the door to find them inside the gasket. I found a stink bug inside the fridge gasket as well. Also vulnerable are the vents; such as refrigerator and heater.
I seriously doubt anything is wrong with your slide. Water isn't nearly as dedicated as those bugs.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Those infernal bugs are dedicated to forcing their way into our homes, including the camper. I have opened the door to find them inside the gasket. I found a stink bug inside the fridge gasket as well. Also vulnerable are the vents; such as refrigerator and heater. I seriously doubt anything is wrong with your slide. Water isn't nearly as dedicated as those bugs.
A few I could live with. There are hundreds getting in. It's like the door is open. Did I mention I had the things and dread fall because of them?
Old 10-31-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
Professional Curmudgeon

Yep, they wear me out too. My camper is brand new also, and I haven't put screens over the exhaust yet. I just saw one of those beetles making it's way into the furnace exhaust. I figure it's going to stink a bit the next time I turn it on.
I just spray them with Hot Shot flying insect spray, then vacuum them up with the shop vac. It's about all I can think of to do.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:24 PM   #5

We had them in Wis,Mi,In.and Ohio. We had the shop vac ready before we opened the doors,still they would get in! When I took the cover off the batt box it was FULL of the Fake Lady Bugs! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine409 View Post
We recently bought a new 2014 Sandpiper 35ROK fifth wheel. We love everything about it except for one thing. We have only got to camp in it one time since we bought it. We live in southern Ohio and this time of year we have a serious problem with stink bugs and lady beetles. Our camper has become infested with the bugs twice. I left it parked on the driveway with the slides out and there were literally hundreds of them in the camper. We vacuumed them all out and closed the slides. After a couple of weeks we had the same problem. If the camper is closed up tight, how are they getting in, especially in the huge numbers. I'm wondering if the slides aren't sealing properly. I traded in another brand of travel trailer with two slides and never had this kind of problem. Any ideas?
Not uncommon........the stink bugs here are getting worse.....Few in the trailer two years ago, last year hundreds in the camper this year we left the camper in Myrtle Beach to avoid the stink bugs..... We are in SW Virginia three years ago no stink bugs now thousands..... They will ruin a vacuum so a shop vacs the best answer..... Think we went from the moonshine capital of the world to the stink bug capital of the world....... . In the house in the cars ,in the camper, thousands in the sheds............. They come in any tiny opening... Couple of weeks ago I stopped counting at 150 just on the front of the house...... Nothing wrong with your trailer just another import from China that is getting out of hand..........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:38 PM   #7

Once they get in they leave an odor for the next wave of them to follow. It just get worse over time. There is a short time frame for them to really come in & I just catch them using a liter soda bottle. You cut the top off, turn the top upside down & tape it to the base, Google it if you like. It makes a perfect trap that they drop down into vs. catching them by hand. You still only get 1 at a time but they can't get back out, The next day they are all dead & I flush them, no stink either. It takes a few days collecting them & sometimes every half hour there are more. It took me 3 days but on the 4th day I hardly found any. I expect them back next year & I'll get to repeat this again. Not sure I would sweep them up as then you vacuum cleaner is going to stink.

Dryer sheets in the vents & behind the refrigerator also seem to help. It masks the stink bug odor.

Tags
bugs