Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2014, 09:21 AM   #1

Buyers jitters

Have not signed yet, but yesterday bought an '04 Sunseeker 2890. I laid in bed all night wondering if I made a bad choice.

My main area of concern is the rubber roof. It is in good shape but I worry if in general it is bad vs fiberglass.

There is a little stain right next to one of the vents but the dealer has fixed it.

Second issue is that it does not have a rear window, and I like to see everything around me including motorcycles on my trailer. It seems like a simple process to put one in, is it?

Front bunk window was a leaker so the PO removed it and put a fiberglass cap over it, is that OK?
Janeandjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:34 AM   #2

First off I note you have not yet posted in the Welcome Mat, so I bid thee welcome.

There may be some kind of structural support issue as to why there is no back window.

Your Rear View camera thread is the way to go as it is cheaper than the price of a window plus installation.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:13 AM   #3
Site Team

Hi again,

I'm glad to see that you are getting used to the forums. It's not uncommon for new owners to get the jitters after buying but figuring why can be important. I had some jitters but mine were money related as I was paying cash plus wondering what I was getting myself into.

My suggestion would be to have the RV inspected. Not sure how much this would cost but the inspection could be worth the investment. Water damage is a key factor to look for especially when there has been signs of it previously.

I do recommend checking the blank tank with a flash light looking down the toilet to see if the previous owner left it emptied or otherwise. It's not uncommon for trade-ins to sit with the black tank dry but not empty which creates a problem later on.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:54 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I would definitely be Leary of anything that has had known leak issues. Check in cabinets ers, under seat cushions and in corners, especially around the slide for signs of soft spots. A person that you bring in to inspect it would be a very good idea. I would make the sale conditional upon this inspection. If they say no, walk away.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:07 PM   #5

I pulled the plug on the Sunseeker today. The bulging in the corners of the bunk, and bulges of delaminated plywood under the rubber roof were too much.

Within a couple hours I had replaced it with an '04 Minnie Winnie 31C.
Janeandjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:18 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I think walking away from the sunseeker was wise. I hear water damage and bulging walls and I see a nightmare underneath. Glad you found something better.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:02 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeandjoe View Post
I pulled the plug on the Sunseeker today. The bulging in the corners of the bunk, and bulges of delaminated plywood under the rubber roof were too much.

Within a couple hours I had replaced it with an '04 Minnie Winnie 31C.
Congrats on your new-to-you Minnie Winnie 31C!

You didn't mention anything about jitters so it sounds like you are off to a good start. Based on what your wrote today I would had walked away from the Sunseeker too.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote