Old 09-06-2019, 12:04 PM   #1

Caulking 5th wheel is ridiculous

I have a 2019 35' Sabre 30rlt, it's me and my wife's 1st rv and we love it. But, there is more maintenance than what we originally thought. Caulking is the main concern as we live in Florida with a lot of rain and extreme heat. Forrest River put silicone caulk on the rv which is insane to remove and you can't caulk over it. We would like to have it all removed and apply pro flex as you can re-apply over it when needed. Questions for you veterans.

*Is caulking as mandatory as it made out to be on these rv blogs? Twice a year or ever few years, or only as needed.

*Do you ever find legit professionals that can do this for you? The rv dealer charges $2,000 whereas the "local guy" will charge $400 but they ALL turn out to be legit so far. What do you pay.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

JeremywFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:10 PM   #2

I'm going to seriously doubt it's silicone. It's probably a product similar to Pro-Flex which is also a pain in the rear to get off.

Acetone works best if you have to remove from metal or fiberglass. Don't use it on plastic though as it'll damage most plastics.

I inspect my 2008 a couple of times a year and look for any cracking. If it's cracked or loose I remove that section and re-do it.

007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:28 PM   #3

Mine has serious silicone on hatches and stuff. Looks good except on spot on the bottom of a storage door... it pooched out in about a 2" spot. I can push it bach in, but it comes back out.
Iwannacamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Mine has serious silicone on hatches and stuff. Looks good except on spot on the bottom of a storage door... it pooched out in about a 2" spot. I can push it bach in, but it comes back out.
If it's squeezing out it's likely Butyl tape.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:50 PM   #5
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremywFL View Post
I have a 2019 35' Sabre 30rlt, it's me and my wife's 1st rv and we love it. But, there is more maintenance than what we originally thought. Caulking is the main concern as we live in Florida with a lot of rain and extreme heat. Forrest River put silicone caulk on the rv which is insane to remove and you can't caulk over it. We would like to have it all removed and apply pro flex as you can re-apply over it when needed. Questions for you veterans.

*Is caulking as mandatory as it made out to be on these rv blogs? Twice a year or ever few years, or only as needed.

*Do you ever find legit professionals that can do this for you? The rv dealer charges $2,000 whereas the "local guy" will charge $400 but they ALL turn out to be legit so far. What do you pay.

Any info is greatly appreciated.
As was mentioned, it's only really necessary to recoat areas that are brittle or cracking. Performing thorough inspections two or three times a year is the best thing to stay ahead of problems. We live by the adage if it's not broke, don't fix it.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:50 PM   #6

Ok thanks. Yes, that sounds the best to just do one area at a time vs the whole thing. Pro flex looks to be the best, has anyone used any type of tape?

19' Sabre 30RLT
Old 09-06-2019, 01:57 PM   #7
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremywFL View Post
Ok thanks. Yes, that sounds the best to just do one area at a time vs the whole thing. Pro flex looks to be the best, has anyone used any type of tape?
What type of tape are you looking for? Most items on the side of an rv can be sealed with a butyl tape which is available from most home supply stores. If you're talking on the roof, it's best to stick with eternabond. That you can find at rv shops or Amazon.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 02:24 PM   #8

Below is a link for a good recommendation online for butyl tape for rvs. It would go on the side exterior over the existing silicone caulk if possible.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0070O93HA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_oiRCDbY58PS73[/url]

19' Sabre 30RLT
Old 09-06-2019, 02:29 PM   #9

The butyl tape is used on the trim and goes between the camper and the window for example or under the trim to seal where the screws go through.

You would not use this tape over anything. In order to use it you need to remove said trim, scrape out the old stuff and put new in.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:44 PM   #10

Ok gotcha, thanks. It'd be nice if there was a tape you could apply over vs messy caulking.

19' Sabre 30RLT

Tags
5th wheel, caulk, wheel