Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2019, 12:04 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 29
Caulking 5th wheel is ridiculous

I have a 2019 35' Sabre 30rlt, it's me and my wife's 1st rv and we love it. But, there is more maintenance than what we originally thought. Caulking is the main concern as we live in Florida with a lot of rain and extreme heat. Forrest River put silicone caulk on the rv which is insane to remove and you can't caulk over it. We would like to have it all removed and apply pro flex as you can re-apply over it when needed. Questions for you veterans.

*Is caulking as mandatory as it made out to be on these rv blogs? Twice a year or ever few years, or only as needed.

*Do you ever find legit professionals that can do this for you? The rv dealer charges $2,000 whereas the "local guy" will charge $400 but they ALL turn out to be legit so far. What do you pay.


Any info is greatly appreciated.
__________________

JeremywFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:10 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
007matman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,470
I'm going to seriously doubt it's silicone. It's probably a product similar to Pro-Flex which is also a pain in the rear to get off.

Acetone works best if you have to remove from metal or fiberglass. Don't use it on plastic though as it'll damage most plastics.

I inspect my 2008 a couple of times a year and look for any cracking. If it's cracked or loose I remove that section and re-do it.
__________________

007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:28 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Iwannacamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,043
Mine has serious silicone on hatches and stuff. Looks good except on spot on the bottom of a storage door... it pooched out in about a 2" spot. I can push it bach in, but it comes back out.
__________________
2017 Puma 297RLSS
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 diesel SMOKER!!
I love puns, irony and tasteless jokes...
Iwannacamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:37 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
007matman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Mine has serious silicone on hatches and stuff. Looks good except on spot on the bottom of a storage door... it pooched out in about a 2" spot. I can push it bach in, but it comes back out.
If it's squeezing out it's likely Butyl tape.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:50 PM   #5
Coach
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Western PA
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremywFL View Post
I have a 2019 35' Sabre 30rlt, it's me and my wife's 1st rv and we love it. But, there is more maintenance than what we originally thought. Caulking is the main concern as we live in Florida with a lot of rain and extreme heat. Forrest River put silicone caulk on the rv which is insane to remove and you can't caulk over it. We would like to have it all removed and apply pro flex as you can re-apply over it when needed. Questions for you veterans.

*Is caulking as mandatory as it made out to be on these rv blogs? Twice a year or ever few years, or only as needed.

*Do you ever find legit professionals that can do this for you? The rv dealer charges $2,000 whereas the "local guy" will charge $400 but they ALL turn out to be legit so far. What do you pay.




Any info is greatly appreciated.
As was mentioned, it's only really necessary to recoat areas that are brittle or cracking. Performing thorough inspections two or three times a year is the best thing to stay ahead of problems. We live by the adage if it's not broke, don't fix it.
__________________
Cut it 3 times and it's still too short...

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:50 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 29
Ok thanks. Yes, that sounds the best to just do one area at a time vs the whole thing. Pro flex looks to be the best, has anyone used any type of tape?
__________________
Jeremy

19' Sabre 30RLT
JeremywFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:57 PM   #7
Coach
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Western PA
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremywFL View Post
Ok thanks. Yes, that sounds the best to just do one area at a time vs the whole thing. Pro flex looks to be the best, has anyone used any type of tape?
What type of tape are you looking for? Most items on the side of an rv can be sealed with a butyl tape which is available from most home supply stores. If you're talking on the roof, it's best to stick with eternabond. That you can find at rv shops or Amazon.
__________________
Cut it 3 times and it's still too short...

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 02:24 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 29
Below is a link for a good recommendation online for butyl tape for rvs. It would go on the side exterior over the existing silicone caulk if possible.


https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0070O93HA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_oiRCDbY58PS73[/url]
__________________
Jeremy

19' Sabre 30RLT
JeremywFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 02:29 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
007matman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,470
The butyl tape is used on the trim and goes between the camper and the window for example or under the trim to seal where the screws go through.

You would not use this tape over anything. In order to use it you need to remove said trim, scrape out the old stuff and put new in.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 02:44 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 29
Ok gotcha, thanks. It'd be nice if there was a tape you could apply over vs messy caulking.
__________________

__________________
Jeremy

19' Sabre 30RLT
JeremywFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
5th wheel, caulk, wheel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:08 PM.