Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2015, 03:52 PM   #1

Caulking

Do you put extra or re-caulk seems every so often?

New to owning a new TT (in my old one I had caulking everywhere). During the walk around I found some places where I thought extra caulking should be applied (around the inside of storage doors, the inside of the door molding, a few other places). It wasn't a horrible caulk job it just looks like some more could be applied to get a better seal from the elements and possible water seeping in. Maybe around the lights, I have heard of peoples lights have leaking seals and it gets into the sub floor or storage spaces.

Do you put extra caulk or re-caulk around these places and if so how much and how often? Is there such thing as overkill? I feel like I need to get 3 tubes and go to work on it but I think maybe I am being over cautious but then again I want my rig to last many happy years.

Let me know your thoughts!

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:17 PM   #2

We do, especially if the chaulk is dry and cracked. There probably is an "Over the top amount" but you need to weigh that against a potential leak. We check each time we return when cleaning up on the roof areas, never know when the TT runs up against a tree branch of something and you have a small exposed seam.

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:22 PM   #3

You will need to clean and re-caulk some of the outside seals also. Get the correct 'stuff'.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:35 PM   #4

On the roof inplace of caulking on the front and rear cap, as well as the antena I've started using Eternabond.
2015 Nights Camped 72
2016 42
2017 15 so far
Fred and Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
You will need to clean and re-caulk some of the outside seals also. Get the correct 'stuff'.
So...what is the "correct 'stuff'" ???

Dave
DaveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:31 PM   #6

One of the comments I've heard most, from RV workers, dealers, RV tech's and DYI owners, is don't use silicone caulk, it is terrible to remove later.
As far as what and how to use, first remove old caulk with a plastic scraper. If some caulk does not want to "break" off, use a sharp utility knife or better yet an exacto knife (it gives more altitude and movement), carefully cut a "V" down into the seam you are sealing, so it comes off. Do not cut to hard or to deep, you don't want to score/cut the fiberglass. Then clean with mineral spirits, till all residue is gone. On all seams on the exterior fiberglass gel coat, use SilapreneŽ blue. That is what they use at Cedar Creek and most other RV manufactures. After you have caulked an area, use a spray bottle with a 50/50 mixture of mineral spirits and water, shaking it now and then to keep it mixed. Spray where caulked, then use a rubber/plastic scraper to create a "smooth" caulk line. If you want a little "bubble", use a rat tail file and cut the size of "bubble" you want on one corner, then use that corner to remove excess caulk. For anything on the roof or at the edges, use Dicor self-leveling caulk. Once you get the hang of it, it is easy work.

Hope this helps and God bless,
Mike
2007 - Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins
May God bless
WA8MRU
mike1poles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:01 PM   #7

Thanks for all the input. I have heard a lot of people say no silicone due to the need to recaulk later (silicone doesn't stick to silicone). I have heard good things about eternabond. Numerous others suggested proflex at different lots. Mike I like your method of doing it.

Did you guys use the same stuff on the inside (like inside the storage and inside around the rims of the storage doors and door jams?) Or was it a different product to fill voids?

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1poles View Post
On all seams on the exterior fiberglass gel coat, use SilapreneŽ blue. That is what they use at Cedar Creek and most other RV manufactures.
Hey Mike - great info...thanks!

But can you clarify on SilapreneŽ blue? Siliprene seems to make a vast number of sealants and adhesives. Is there a specific product name ("Solidseal", "North America's Premier", "RTV Silicone", etc.) or product number?

Thanks again!

Dave
DaveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:28 PM   #9

Great suggestions and techniques, anything to keep water out. need to do something until they come up with a tube with no seams.

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:53 PM   #10

Dave,
This is from Royal Adhesives & Sealant website: Royal Adhesives & Sealants

Here is a site that sells it: Silaprene Royal Seal 1000, Silaprene Royal Seal 1000 white, - Krayden

Hope this helps and God bless,
Mike
2007 - Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins
May God bless
WA8MRU
mike1poles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caulk