Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #1

caulking cracked, what to use now?

This weekend was our first camping weekend for the year, we went to Jelly Stone in Warrens, WI and had a great time with friends. When I was setting the camper up at the CG I noticed that the caulking where the front fiberglass meets the outside corner molding was all cracked from the roof line all the way to the aluminum rack shield on the drivers side of the camper, after I saw this spot I looked the rest of the TT over that this was the only spot that I found. I know this crack wasn't there before we left because I washed the either camper this past week after I got it out of storage. Of course this happens now, 6 weeks after our warranty expires.

So what is the best caulking that I can use to fix this? I am guessing that it would be best to remove all the old caulking first, before I apply the new? What is the best way to remove the all caulk?

Here is a picture part of the crack, its hard to see but its right where the fiberglass meets the corners molding.
with 2001 Kodiak K215: 2010-10, 2011-12
with 2012 Grey Wolf 26BH: 2012-19, 2013-24, 2014-11, 2015-6
with 2013 Passport: 2015-13, 2016-15 booked
PHS79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #2

PHS79,
Not an issue really... The dealer would consider this general maintenance and NOT a warranty issue.. You MUST check all lights, hatches and especially the metal screw track where the front cap meets the rubber roof for the same potential leak areas.
What you are seeing is the metal screw track that holds the sides to the front or rear. That center piece of plastic is the vinyl screw cover molding.
Before the factory installs that metal screw track they put a piece of sticky tape on the back of it. When the screws are installed, the tape is supposed to seal them.
So what you are seeing is what the factory caulked to hide the gap between the fiberglass and the screw track.
You will want to re-caulk that with some Dicor Non-Sag Lap Sealant to hide the gap and to prevent future water infiltration.
As far as removing the old sealant? The factory bead is usualy small, I just go over them.
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
Experienced Newbie

Good to know. I just got back from a weekend with my cub scouts and the same issue is happening on the front of my Apex, on both front corners

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote