Old 04-07-2019, 04:57 PM   #1

Cleaning

We just purchased a Grey Wolfe 23pack15. With our last camper we were told to maintain the exterior just like a car. That was far from the truth and the paint became faded in a short time. The camper sits in direct sunlight and that is the only option. With the new camper I am trying to avoid the same problem. With both campers the front end is the same (rounded) and I cannot reach the entire top of the front end. I have tried with a ladder but the curve is to big and the tounge does not let me get a ladder directly in front of it. To clean it I can use a pole but I can't put enough pressure on it to get the bugs off. To wax it the brush is not going to work. Any suggestions on how to reach the area? I can't be the only one to have this issue.

Phantom0388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:26 PM   #2

I ran into the same problem waxing the front of the TT. I have about a 2 sq. ft. area that I just could not reach. Plus, my shoulders weren't the same when done. Next time, I'm gonna hire a local detail guy. Our storage folks highly recommend one, and I don't even need to be there.

I live in the desert Southwest with an abundance of sunshine, and the front looked shot after only 9 months.

I feel your pain. And not worth my pain.

Days camped 2017: 7
Days camped 2018: 15
Days camped 2019: 15
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:35 PM   #3

I use a good grade of car wash along with an extension pole ( the type that is used for painting ). I can reach using the pole almost every place, there are a few areas around the slides that are difficult. I also climb on the roof and wash that also, paying attention to the gutters and on top of the slides. Fading is a issue with most of them . I just use a spray wax like mcquires or something similar. My camper is in a storage lot, that is covered with trees. Keeps the sun off pretty much, but limbs and leaves get on the roof. It takes work to keep them nice, but the sun is your enemy .
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
I use a good grade of car wash along with an extension pole ( the type that is used for painting ). I can reach using the pole almost every place, there are a few areas around the slides that are difficult. I also climb on the roof and wash that also, paying attention to the gutters and on top of the slides. Fading is a issue with most of them . I just use a spray wax like mcquires or something similar. My camper is in a storage lot, that is covered with trees. Keeps the sun off pretty much, but limbs and leaves get on the roof. It takes work to keep them nice, but the sun is your enemy .
I didn't realize McQuires had a spray wax for RV Fiberglass Gel coated finishes. I'll have to look for that. That might be better than nothing. Thanks for the tip
Old 04-07-2019, 08:41 PM   #5

Meguiar's G3636 Ultimate Waterless...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s...29d3780e7a1548
Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:29 PM   #6

Been using ProTec products on my boat and camper for years. Hands down the best products for protecting against UV fade. Get their Nu Paint Moisturizer to remove oxidation. Then seal it. Sealant is going to last longer and protect better than wax.

https://protecproducts.com/

Going on 5 years on my camper and it still shines like new.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:06 PM   #7

I used to have a boat (wooden hull) that needed painting every few years.

We'd do it during one of the annual "Haul Outs" by putting up a couple of "
"A-Frame" Ladders and a plank across them so we could paint without having to move the latter all the time. Area to be painted started 5' above the ground when out of the water.

Same setup might help getting at the top side of the bulge on the nose.
MIght also be able to get the difficult part using a pole with a sponge mop on the end while standing on the front of the roof, assuming you can walk on the roof.

For bug removal a no-scratch dish washing pad or no-scratch backed sponge works for me. I spray them with either diluted Simple Green or
Dawn and let them soak for a few minutes before trying to wash them off.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:23 AM   #8

Oh yeah, if you want to remove bug splatter easily you need Citrol. This stuff is awesome and won't hurt the gel coat or paint. Do this in the early morning, late evening or shade. Apply it, let it sit for a few minutes, then use a microfiber mop head on a pole to wipe off the bugs. Of course this is going to strip any wax or sealant you have on there. So, you'll want to wash and wax that area after use. I always recommend sealant as it lasts longer. A properly polished and sealed front cap will be easier to clean with basic car wash in the future. Just make sure it is a pH neutral wash.

As for reaching up there I think a wash head on a pole is the best bet.

This is Citrol:
Old 05-27-2019, 02:04 PM   #9

I finally solved the problem of not being able to reach the rounded front end of my Grey Wolfe 23pack15 TT. The answer was scaffolding. I have been asking myself for weeks if i was worth it to spend the money. I figured I could find many uses around the house so I finally decided to spend the money, After washing and waxing the front of my TT today I feel it was worth it. I had been trying to find a solution for a couple years and now I feel like I conquered the world!

Tags
cleaning