Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #1
Commercial Member

Coachmen paint & rust

I am wondering what type of paint Coachmen specified for exterior steel parts. My 2008 Freelander has severe rust on the few steel parts so I need to refinish the poor quality paint job done by Coachmen.
Here you can see the problem.
This area is protected from direct wheel spray but clearly the quality of metal prep specified by the factory makes me wonder what paint was used.

GM on the other hand did a 1st class job of both metal prep and painting. Here is an area from the wheel well that had rocks and road trash thrown at it by the tires and not a sign of rust.

When I spend the day removing the bumper, sandblasting the junk Coachmen called paint off, I want to be sure to use something better that whatever Coachmen spec called for.
Ideas or suggestions?

I haven't seen this poor of quality workmanship since my 1970 Pinto rust bucket.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #2

get it powder coated
latner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #3

Did Coachmen paint the hitch receiver?

I thought it was a receiver they get from another company and install it on the coach.
2013leprechaun319dsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013leprechaun319dsf View Post
Did Coachmen paint the hitch receiver?

I thought it was a receiver they get from another company and install it on the coach.
This is like asking if Coachmen made the copper in the electrical wire or the glass used in the windows or the grew the trees for the wood cabinets.

Pointing to a supplier is no excuse.
When you buy a Chevy or Ford you hold them accountable for the quality of the components used. Those companies have over 1,000 suppliers that produce components that are specified by GM or Ford.

If I had purchased the bumper aftermarket then I would be holding that company responsible for the poor metal prep and paint but in this case it was Coachmen that sold me the bumper as part of my RV.

This just one of the numerous poor quality components and workmanship I was sold. Some intenionally hidden only to be discovered years later because I looked. Some not hidden like this paint job.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 09-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latner View Post
get it powder coated
I may go that route or I may sandblast the rust and Coachmen's junk paint off and use 2k epoxy primer & paint.

I have already coated the inside with special anti-rust frame paint from Eastwood.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #6

I think you should trade it in for a brand you like.
2013leprechaun319dsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013leprechaun319dsf View Post
I think you should trade it in for a brand you like.
It isn't the "brand" I don't like. Its the poor quality of the build that I am disappointed in. I selected my Freelander after looking at many similar coaches. The others were worse on many features.

I have spent many hours fixing the errors made during vehicle assembly and have no reason to expect a new RV will not have similar issues. I liken this to the quality of "Detroit" in 1970 when all we saw was 12 month warranties. When Honda & Toyota came into the US market they kicked the rear end of Detroit manufacturers. Now we have cars with real quality and meaningful warranties. I like having 5 year bumper to bumper coverage.
I do not like being told "It's not my job" go complain to our supplier.

I have seen other brand RVs with similar problems so the lack of meaningful warranties and poor build quality is not a Coachmen problem but is endemic of the US RV manufacturers who are primarily interested in just making the next sale and not in building a quality product.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Tireman, sounds like you are on the right track to the re-finish. I was going to suggest a good blast and coat with POR15 and very good Epoxy top coat.

I understand where you are coming from on the quality of the product. I have found several items with my Coach and just bit the bullet and fixed the things myself. I live over a 100 miles from my dealer and frankly I don't want them working on it.

Hope the re-finish works out for you.
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen