Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #41

Unfortunately, this is a prime example of “should’ve, would’ve, could’ve” on the behalf of the plaintiff and should warn folks they have to be responsible for protecting their own interest. From what the plaintiff writes, it is very clear that the plaintiff made a mistake and the manufacturer made at least 1 mistake. (I am not ignoring the dealership, as their part hinges on the actions they took as an expert after reviewing damage as revealed in the photographs supplied by the plaintiff – remember the dealer is one expert, with the manufacturer being the other.) In the beginning, at time of damage discovery which was in the 4th month of ownership (July), the plaintiff was in a very good position; however, he made 1 critical mistake at minimum, possibly other mistakes (one cannot tell by the information provided).

His mistake was his failure to transfer custody of the trailer to the dealership in an effort to save $1000 after the discovery of problems.

This was after My wife and i had paid a professional $500 to pull the camper in my lake front spot at my campground and hook up and level. We had to do this due to the location which was hazardous for me to attempt on my own. These being said it would have been another $500 to pull out and that amount again to put back in again. [Posted January 2012]

Whose fault or decision was it to place the trailer in a location that is “hazardous” to the plaintiff whereas the plaintiff hired “a professional” for $500 to tow and setup the trailer at plaintiff’s lakefront property? The plaintiff made the decision. (Hence: saving a $1000 as opposed to returning the trailer to the dealership at the time of discovery.) Whose decision was it to not transfer custody to the dealer at the onset of discovery of problems? It was the plaintiff’s decision.

The dealer by the very nature of his business, selling RV’; servicing RV’s; and repairing RV’s, has experts on staff and is the pivotal point of the plaintiff’s case. The dealership, through 1 of their on-staff experts, should have recognized that 1 possible cause of the damage as revealed in the photographs was water/moisture. The plaintiff writes:

They said they didnt know what the problem was and if it continued to get worse to wait till spring of 2011 when they ( they shut down in the winter) re-opened ( still under warranty).

If the dealer’s representative to whom the plaintiff showed the photographs to told the plaintiff “they [didn’t] know what the problem was”, as the plaintiff indicates here, they were negligent in that they did not consult the proper authority on staff. As an expert, the dealer should have recognized the damage was due to water and advised the plaintiff to get the trailer into the dealership ASAP. “…wait till spring 2011” does NOTHING to protect the trailer from further water damage. The fact that the dealer “shuts down in the winter” is the dealer’s problem and does NOT excuse them from their dealership warranty obligations as per their contract with FR. The plaintiff’s warranty period does not cease and resume when the dealer closes in the winter and reopens in the spring.

What the plaintiff should have done was to transfer custody of the trailer to the dealer. That would have placed the burden of maintaining the trailer from further damage on the dealer. The trailer could have set on the dealership property and rotted as opposed to setting on the lakefront rotting. Had the dealer not wanted to take custody of the trailer because he shuts down in the winter, the plaintiff should have notified the police so he could have gotten a report and notified FR. Perhaps the FR representative would have awakened him up that it could be water damage.

The biggest thing the plaintiff has going for him is those pictures and the hope that the judge will be highly critical of the dealer (expert) for NOT recognizing water damage in those photographs – as the dealer is the expert. I hope the plaintiff has those pictures dated and followed up with the dealer via a certified registered letter – preferably notarized – providing an account of their initial meeting and notification. Remember those pictures add credibility to the plaintiff’s story when he advises the judge he notified the dealer (expert) who may deny ever having been contacted until after the warranty period. The plaintiff also has an expert – the professional repairer.

As for the manufacturer, their mistake was omitting the gasket. Was that the culprit that set deterioration in motion? Maybe. The plaintiff writes:

I then called a Professional RV repairman who investigated and found …. He had found numerous pin holes on the seal caulking and a missing gasket (from factory) on the roof vent.

If you look at the back of the Alpha Systems document in the trailer owner’s packet, it states under Purchaser’s Obligations: Purchaser is responsible for inspecting Alpha Roof Membrane at the time of delivery. Alpha Systems also advise purchaser to remove loose caulk and to re-caulk and apply lap sealant (also iterated by part time technician poster in this forum thread) during recommended quarterly inspections. My point is that the trailer is a 2009 model year and could have been on the dealer’s lot for a year before purchase. I would certainly raise this point before the judge because time within itself does discriminate nor distinguish itself between dealer and purchaser.

I could go on with other points, but the post is already too long. It is a sad story, but one that should remind owners to think and to be proactive to protect yourself when dealing with warranty issues or any other of life’s issues in the event justice necessitates the wheels of legalities into motion. If life was fair, there would be no need for a justice system.
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by campdohbrew View Post
The biggest thing the plaintiff has going for him is those pictures and the hope that the judge will be highly critical of the dealer (expert) for NOT recognizing water damage in those photographs – as the dealer is the expert. I hope the plaintiff has those pictures dated and followed up with the dealer via a certified registered letter – preferably notarized – providing an account of their initial meeting and notification. Remember those pictures add credibility to the plaintiff’s story when he advises the judge he notified the dealer (expert) who may deny ever having been contacted until after the warranty period. The plaintiff also has an expert – the professional repairer.

If life was fair, there would be no need for a justice system.
and in ones defence

"If you don't know there's a trampoline in the room, you're not going to dust the ceiling for prints. " ~From the television show Law & Order

meaning that as a non professional nor expert but rather a consumer of the product, he has relied on those self aclaimed professionals who make their lifing off sales and service, as well as manufacturing and selling warranties to steer him in his course of actions - that was until he ran a ground of sorts with heavy damage.

Why would I go looking for a problem behind wall number 2, several layers into the hull if I was not aware of a problem on the outside until it was too late.

We are in a lesser situation with dealers refusing to carry out warranty work unless paid up front and now that the work was carried out and paid for Forest River is ignoring the reimbursement of prepaid repairs.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
and in ones defence

meaning that as a non professional nor expert but rather a consumer of the product, he has relied on those self aclaimed professionals who make their lifing off sales and service, as well as manufacturing and selling warranties to steer him in his course of actions - that was until he ran a ground of sorts with heavy damage.

Why would I go looking for a problem behind wall number 2, several layers into the hull if I was not aware of a problem on the outside until it was too late.
Milcop,

I am on board with you. That is why I stress the point that the dealer is the expert (not the plaintiff) - meaning the plaintiff was reliant upon the dealer's expertise when he showed the dealer the photographs. Hopefully for the plaintiff, the judge will see it this way too. The statement which you quote me is in the plaintiff's favor.

The plaintiff would be in a much better position had he transferred custody of the trailer to the dealership at the onset. In other words, he would had rid himself of custody and placed the burden on the dealer in the form of the trailer. Had he done that, he would not find himself in a case of having to prove "who said what." I promise you the plaintiff wishes he would have paid his towing person $500 to deliver the trailer to the dealer at the onset.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #44

I absolutely agree that the trailer should have been returned to the dealer immediately. This was the OP's decision and all of this could have been avoided. For those of us who purchase and maintain a tow vehicle it costs ten's of thousands of dollars which the OP did not have expend. The 1000 bucks outlay is in exchange for saving big bucks on a tow vehicle.

Something else to remember on all of these posts is we are getting only one side of the story. It would be nice to hear the dealers side as well.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #45

The only thing I am sure of is that I would NEVER buy an RV from any dealer that "shut down" for the winter. Obviously a two-bit outfit.
And their refusal to help their customer verifies that.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
The only thing I am sure of is that I would NEVER buy an RV from any dealer that "shut down" for the winter. Obviously a two-bit outfit.
And their refusal to help their customer verifies that.
I, too, had those exact thoughts - a major purcahse from a seasonal dealer!
Old 01-13-2012, 10:31 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
I absolutely agree that the trailer should have been returned to the dealer immediately. This was the OP's decision and all of this could have been avoided. For those of us who purchase and maintain a tow vehicle it costs ten's of thousands of dollars which the OP did not have expend. The 1000 bucks outlay is in exchange for saving big bucks on a tow vehicle.

Something else to remember on all of these posts is we are getting only one side of the story. It would be nice to hear the dealers side as well.
IbrJet,
You’re absolutely right “returned immediately” and about hearing the dealer’s story.

If anybody believes this story as told by the OP, they have to believe the dealer was a conman who took the OP for something less than average intelligence by asking the OP to wait until spring 2011 for repairs which is when the warranty expires. Remember the OP purchased the trailer in March 2010 and spring starts March 20 of each year. (I did not write ill of the OP.) If you believe the story as described, you have to ask what motivated dealer?
Old 01-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #48

have tryed ins co on leaks and mine told me it is a maintance issue , not covered
07ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #49

Quote:
Milcop,

I am on board with you. That is why I stress the point that the dealer is the expert (not the plaintiff) - meaning the plaintiff was reliant upon the dealer's expertise when he showed the dealer the photographs. Hopefully for the plaintiff, the judge will see it this way too. The statement which you quote me is in the plaintiff's favor.

The plaintiff would be in a much better position had he transferred custody of the trailer to the dealership at the onset. In other words, he would had rid himself of custody and placed the burden on the dealer in the form of the trailer. Had he done that, he would not find himself in a case of having to prove "who said what." I promise you the plaintiff wishes he would have paid his towing person $500 to deliver the trailer to the dealer at the onset.
Hind sight is always 20 20. And if we all had nothing going on in our lives we would have no mitigating circumstances to say things took away our ability to place that matter in priority. And some people merely seem to get confused with a whole bunch of legal terms (plaintiff and such).

Both our statements used would tend to support the person having the problems. All they have to remember is - did they do what a RESAONABLE PERSON would have done given the same or similar set of circumstances. If so then I don't think there is a knowledgable judge in the country worth their weight who would find in favor of the company.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmiller View Post
Its a 2009 signature ultra-lite. Similar to a 2904ss layout. We bought it in May of 2010 problems started in August 2010, Fought with the dealer, threatned lawsuit, with no help........Cost me $1200 to replace slide wall and have the roof resealed with Dicor..........
Have you consulted the BBB in your local area? I have a 1991 Nissan PU that I bought new. Around 30k miles that clear coat on it started coming off of the top and different areas. I took it to the dealer, then they had the Southeast Rep. look at it..he said that I had taken a buffer to it....wrong. Then he said they couldn't repaint it...he asked me what I was going to do..I put a sign in the rear window, saying Look at my paint job, new truck. I contacted our BBB and then the the Consumer area at our State Capitol. After a few weeks a rep called me and said they would paint on half of it....I took it to the dealers, they painted all of it for me. I knew they had a problem with acid rain at the factory because I only live about a 1/4 mile from there. They weren't going to fool me, they cover the hoods etc. with paper now...plus they have built sheds to keep all the new cars and trucks under. My suggestion....call the BBB and put in a complaint. The dealer should honor repairs, etc. They can always make their money back from the in the long run....
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark and Linda View Post
Around 30k miles that clear coat on it started coming off of the top and different areas. I took it to the dealer, then they had the Southeast Rep. look at it..he said that I had taken a buffer to it....

We has a 92 Sonata and it did the same thing. The owner and Service manager accused us of using Steel Woll and Javex to wash the car. Like so many people in Canada do - don't you know.

I tagged about 20 cars in our city with notifications they has a paint problem and refered them back to teh dealer.
Next time I went in for servicing they blew up... 2 weeks later I had my car repainted at the dealership cost because I went regionally complaint wise.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #52

Good for you, sometimes we have to use alternate methods to get the proper results, whatever we are dealing with.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #53

3 sides to every story... yours mine and the truth.
is what we've always been told to be mindfull of.

Quote:
IbrJet,
If you believe the story as described, you have to ask what motivated dealer?
What motivated the dealer... TIME
Time for the problem to become the owners and not the dealerships or the manufacturer.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #54

Wow.. after reading this whole thread, I am just amazed that any of us actually pay 10's of thousands of dollars to buy these stick boxes and go into the woods with them...but we do. I paid a pretty penny more than I could have if I bought my unit across the country at the whole sale dealers for the simple reason of service. I have bought 2 of them from the same dealer now, and several events have made me glad i did.

Perhaps what this thread needs is a good story to brighten the mood, so I offer this one. I bought at Tom Johnson Camping here in Charlotte area, and when my unit needed some warranty work after the season was complete (bunch of small things) I had to get it to the dealer. We are seasonal campers and don't have a TV to get it in there. I called them and asked what my options were for towing and was told the service manager would call me back. Most of the time I would be skeptical and wait a few days before I tried again, but the service manager called me back an hour later with nothing but apologies for not getting right back to me. He listened to my issue and immediately told me to stop worrying, they would come and pick it up, do the work, and deliver it back to the campground. I obviously would have to pay the 50 dollars each way for gas and time etc, but thats a tad less than the payment on the F350 it would take to do the job. We decided to wait a couple months to get the work done, but next week it all begins. Really great service so far and I have no complaints about Forest River product either...

I hope this all works out or you, and although none of us know the tiny details that always seem to not get mentioned between the story and the reality, it sounds like you really do deserve much better treatment than you are getting.
TitanFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #55

Quote:
3 sides to every story... yours mine and the truth.
is what we've always been told to be mindfull of.

What motivated the dealer... TIME
Time for the problem to become the owners and not the dealerships or the manufacturer.

Time – absolutely – motivated the dealer! The dealer did not have time to repair the trailer under the terms and conditions set forth by plaintiff. What were plaintiff’s terms and conditions for the dealer to make repairs? Plaintiff writes those terms in his post:

When i bought the camper, the dealer never mentioned that I would have to deliver them the camper back to them for any repairs.

Why did the dealer not meet plaintiff’s terms and conditions?

1. He is not obligated to perform repair work at the customer’s location.
2. Too busy (to meet plaintiff’s terms). Plaintiff writes:
I was then told by the dealer they were [too] busy
3. Plaintiff’s location may have been hazardous for the dealer’s employees just as it is for the plaintiff. Plaintiff writes:
…My wife and i had paid a professional $500 to pull the camper in my lake front spot at my campground and hook up and level. ...the location which was hazardous for me to attempt on my own.

What motivated the plaintiff to not return the trailer to the dealership upon discovery that a problem existed? Money motivated the plaintiff. What motivated the plaintiff to take photographs to show the dealer as opposed to taking the trailer? Money motivated the plaintiff. The plaintiff writes:

…wife and i had paid a professional $500 to pull the camper…and hook up and level. These being said it would have been another $500 to pull out and that amount again to put back in again.

Initially, we discussed if the photographs shown to the dealer revealed a condition that had the potential to worsen. The photographs did and it was discussed amongst the parties:

…if it continued to get worse….

Although the plaintiff requested contact information for Forest River in the initial post, he has already been in contact with Forest River directly or indirectly through the dealership and/or his attorney:

…and Forest River told us the same

MilCop, you hit the nail on the head when you write:

All they have to remember is - did they do what a RESAONABLE PERSON would have done given the same or similar set of circumstances.

The dealer is only 6 miles from the location of the plaintiff’s trailer. However, the plaintiff writes there is a hazard associated with the location of his trailer. We do not know what hazard exist as we are not privileged to that information. We do not know if the trailer is located 14 feet in the air supported by pilings or if it had to be winched and skidded into its final resting place.

We do know that it is more than a simple tow as suggested by the plaintiff. We know a hazardous condition exist. We know it cost the plaintiff $500 which is expensive for a 6 mile tow ($83.33 per mile).

I agree with you when you write, “3 sides to every story.” Heck, the plaintiff gives 3 accounts in this thread alone. The first account differs vastly from the other 2.

In President Clinton’s words, “I feel [his] pain.” You feel his pain. Other posters feel his pain. His attorney feels his pain. But, sadly his own actions prevented his attorney from providing the antidote to make him whole.

If your analogy is correct, “Time for the problem to become the owners and not the dealerships or the manufacturer” the plaintiff was easy prey as his actions played right into the hands of the benefactor who must have been as a fox thinking “yum, yum, this chicken is right for plucking.”
Old 01-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #56

Quote:
We has a 92 Sonata and it did the same thing. The owner and Service manager accused us of using Steel Woll and Javex to wash the car. Like so many people in Canada do - don't you know.

I tagged about 20 cars in our city with notifications they has a paint problem and refered them back to teh dealer.
Next time I went in for servicing they blew up... 2 weeks later I had my car repainted at the dealership cost because I went regionally complaint wise.
You did the right things and you did them right from the start and you got results. You presented your complaint to the dealer – delivered your car. When the dealer did NOT do what he should have done, you took it to the next level “tagged about 20 cars.” You should not have had to go to level 2. The dealer was wrong and you were right. Your actions not only helped you, they helped a lot of other people – probably 1000s of people.

The guy with the trailer who started this thread is far different than you and did not take the correct action to start. He was not willing to help himself as he was not willing to take the trailer to the dealer. He failed to that which was reasonable.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanFlyer View Post
Wow.. after reading this whole thread, I am just amazed that any of us actually pay 10's of thousands of dollars to buy these stick boxes and go into the woods with them...but we do. I paid a pretty penny more than I could have if I bought my unit across the country at the whole sale dealers for the simple reason of service. I have bought 2 of them from the same dealer now, and several events have made me glad i did.

Perhaps what this thread needs is a good story to brighten the mood, so I offer this one. I bought at Tom Johnson Camping here in Charlotte area, and when my unit needed some warranty work after the season was complete (bunch of small things) I had to get it to the dealer. We are seasonal campers and don't have a TV to get it in there. I called them and asked what my options were for towing and was told the service manager would call me back. Most of the time I would be skeptical and wait a few days before I tried again, but the service manager called me back an hour later with nothing but apologies for not getting right back to me. He listened to my issue and immediately told me to stop worrying, they would come and pick it up, do the work, and deliver it back to the campground. I obviously would have to pay the 50 dollars each way for gas and time etc, but thats a tad less than the payment on the F350 it would take to do the job. We decided to wait a couple months to get the work done, but next week it all begins. Really great service so far and I have no complaints about Forest River product either...

I hope this all works out or you, and although none of us know the tiny details that always seem to not get mentioned between the story and the reality, it sounds like you really do deserve much better treatment than you are getting.
That is a great story! It says a lot about the dealer. His business practices earns him repeat business as in your case. That is the type person/business I prefer to do business.

This is my first Forest River product and I have only had it for 1 month. I do like the trailer and have only gotten to use it once. I do not have any known problems with it. Should a problem arise, I will return the product to the dealer expecting warranty issues to be addressed as per agreement.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #58

Well Folks , all being said, Its been two weeks, two phone calls to FR and not one return call.......so displeased......but not giving up yet!
davidmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #59

I mentioned this earlier in a post on this thread. I would contact the BBB with a letter or phone call regarding this matter. A dealer should be worried about the word getting out on how they treat their customers.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:20 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmiller View Post
Well Folks , all being said, Its been two weeks, two phone calls to FR and not one return call.......so displeased......but not giving up yet!
Mr. Miller,
Sir, when you showed your dealer the photographs, did he or his representative indicate that moisture/water was a possible cause?

Was the photographs shown to the dealer at the time of your initial notification that a problem existed and was it during this visit that you discovered that your dealer would not perform an onsite warranty repair at your location?

The fact that your dealer closes for the winter is his problem and is not your problem as your warranty is not commensurable to his seasonal closure practices.

Did you contact your state’s attorney general?

Because it has been a couple of weeks since you called without success of receiving a return call and nearly 1.5 years since the discovery of your initial problem, have you considered sending a registered letter to Mr. Peter Liegl (CEO) of Forest River?

Having trouble finding an address? Go to www.yellowpages.com, type in Forest River, Elkhart, IN, and hit the find button. You’ll get 28 results (addresses and phone numbers). Pick one, call it, and ask for the headquarters’ mailing address which Mr. Liegl receives his mail.

Mr. Miller, in all honesty, I think you were in a good position at the beginning (4 months into ownership) when the problem started, but by retaining custody of the trailer as opposed to delivering it to the dealer, you hurt yourself. In fact, I think you’re out of gas. You’ve indicated that you have hired an attorney; if you are working on this yourself at this point, the attorney has already told you that you're out of gas. (But miracles do happen!) Good Luck!