Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #1

Complaint

Can anyone please help be find a number for Forest River Customer Service. The web site has no contact information. I sadly have to say after buying a new Rockwood Camper from my local dealer that we have had continous problems with leaks around the slide out and the room seams. Our dealer would not repair or hold up their warranty. So we have had to hire a local professional RV Repair company to reseal the roof and replace the entire wall in the living area on the slide out side. I am so upset and discouraged with my dealer and the workmanship of my camper.
davidmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
camping

to the forum - sorry for your troubles, what model did you get?

I will send you a PM

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:40 AM   #3

Forrest River Customer Service
574 206 7600
Old 01-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #4

Its a 2009 signature ultra-lite. Similar to a 2904ss layout. We bought it in May of 2010 problems started in August 2010, Fought with the dealer, threatned lawsuit, with no help........Cost me $1200 to replace slide wall and have the roof resealed with Dicor..........
Old 01-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #5

wishful thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmiller View Post
Fought with the dealer,
threatned lawsuit,
with no help
Cost me $1200 to replace slide wall
and have the roof resealed with Dicor..........
sorry that you had to experiece all that
hope that you have better luck than I did
when I called
Forrest River Customer Service
574 206 7600
the Lady got back to me fine enough
"said that she referred my question out"
"and that person would get back to me soon"
no such luck
and
I called the man who was referred to me
at least a few times and left a message
with my simple question included
I got tired of waiting for a reply
just gave up

I like forums such as this
maybe some of the factory reps are watching
take it back home with them
and ask co-workers
to pick it up a notch

I hope that this is not wishful thinking

Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #6

I don't quite understand. Your camper was under warranty. If your dealer was useless, Forest River would have allowed the work to be done by third party. Did you not contact FR before getting the work done?
And why did you just "threaten" your dealer with a lawsuit? You should have sued them.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #7

Yes we did. I was told by my dealer that i would have to return the camper to Forest River and Forest River told us the same.This was after My wife and i had paid a professional $500 to pull the camper in my lake front spot at my campground and hook up and level. We had to do this due to the location which was hazardous for me to attempt on my own. These being said it would have been another $500 to pull out and that amount again to put back in again. I had backsurgery this May and was out of commision and the sevier damage to roof and wall were not noticed until i returned from the hospital. Thank you Crocus for your help and comments.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

First of what was the damage? Did it start with a leaking roof? Per post #4, you bought the trailer May 2010, and problems started in August 2010. What problems?

Post #7, you had surgery in May 2011, and later found roof and wall damage. When was this repaired? Safe to assume this was the $1200 repair job? Hate to say it, but the owner is responsible for re-caulking every year, and must provide receipts for purchase of materials.

In defense of the dealer, they aren't going to your site to repair your trailer. You must bring the trailer to them. They have no insurance to cover workers off site doing repair, only setting up. Also if it is that hard to park a,d remove, warranty will not pay the dealer for the time and effort. Lastly, the tools required for this type of work. Hard for dealers to provide all the tools needed off site, and the materials. Lastly the weather. When you have to replace a roof, or wall, needs to be covered, in case of rain.

Sorry for your troubles, but dealers are here to make money. they have to, or their gone. Yes I believe in customer service also, and realize some dealers are better than others, but depending on your deal, it probably cost way to much for the dealer to attempt, and if a tech got hurt out there, it would have been worse.

Lastly, did you check with your insurance company? Maybe they can do something.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #9

Found the wall beside of the slide had a bubbling on in july of 2010 ( bought the camper in march 2010), took pics to dealer,they supposedly were going to call the factory and forward the pic. They said they didnt know what the problem was and if it continued to get worse to wait till spring of 2011 when they ( they shut down in the winter) re-opened ( still under warranty). Unfortunetly for me , i was diagnosed and had to have back surgery. When we returned and found the problem had gotten worse, I was then told by the dealer they were to busy and handed me a quart of roof sealent and to fix the problem myself. I then called a Professional RV repairman who investigated and found the original problem of the de-lamination of the wall material was due to moisture, by this time the the wall damage and portions of the ceiling above the slide out were buckled. He had found numerous pin holes on the seal caulking and a missing gasket ( from factory )on the roof vent. He repaired the wall and resealed the roof with dicor ( summer of 2011). I understand that a dealer is in the business to make money just like any other business.It just seems they made no effort to help me. The dealer was aware of my location and recommended the gentleman who could set the camper up for me. When i bought the camper, the dealer never mentioned that I would have to deliver them the camper back to them for any repairs. They are a local company 6 miles from our campground and do local on-site repairs. Thanks for your comments windrider.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #10

Not many dealers that will go to your site for repairs. This is almost like asking a car dealer to come make repairs at your home.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #11

that I have the monies

Quote:
Originally Posted by papap View Post
Not many dealers that will go to your site for repairs
yes
that is asking way too much
sometimes in life
I (we) just need to
suck it up and deal with it
about that time
I try to remember to thank God
that I have the monies
for the said repair
Mountainman
Old 01-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #12

David, if you get a statement from the guy who repaired your camper that a gasket was missing, I am pretty sure Forest River will cover the repair. It might take a few phone calls, but they are pretty good about things like that.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #13

I would like to thank everyone for their input on this matter, I can tell that you guys are good and caring people. God Bless you all.
Thanks
David Miller
Old 01-09-2012, 12:13 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

David,

I'm not taking sides, and I agree, maybe something should have been done. I work part time as a tech at a dealership. The tools required to perform repairs, air compressors, jacks, ..... and to replace a wall, scaffolding.... Well it can get involved.

Please understand the lawyers and the insurance companies. If i go to your campsite to replace a microwave, and drop it on my foot and break my foot, worker's comp will not cover it. Even if they might, I got hurt at your site, so it would be you insurance against the dealer's insurance. Meanwhile I am out of work, with no pay for weeks, while the court battle ensues. When it is all over, the tech has lost his car, house, medical lawsuits..... Hope you understand a little.

Maybe the dealer should have done more, hard call to make on this or any forum.

Hope your recovery is going well.

Windrider
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #15

"If i go to your campsite to replace a microwave, and drop it on my foot and break my foot, worker's comp will not cover it."
===================================
windrider, lets keep it real. That statement is pure bs, and you know it.
If that were the case, then the people that do repairs to your house, or the millions of other people who work on other peoples' property would not be covered either.

And the OP already said that his dealership did mobile repairs.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:04 AM   #16

For twenty years, before my disability i worked half of those as an hvac service tech and the other half as the service manager. We were bound by the state to be bonded and insured to work at any location. My dealer does work on-site, i have witness this personally. Im calling Forest River today after receiving contact information from another FROG member. We have all the documention of the work described and photographic proof of the damage and the cause. You guys have been very helpful, and I pray that FR steps up and helps us.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:17 AM   #17
camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
"If i go to your campsite to replace a microwave, and drop it on my foot and break my foot, worker's comp will not cover it."
===================================
windrider, lets keep it real. That statement is pure bs, and you know it.
If that were the case, then the people that do repairs to your house, or the millions of other people who work on other peoples' property would not be covered either.

And the OP already said that his dealership did mobile repairs.
X2

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #18

we had a Sears refrig Tec
come out to make a repair the other day
he had workers comp and all the bennys
MM
Old 01-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #19

Let us know how this turns out. Good luck with it.
okdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #20

I've found Forest river and my dealer to be not so great. 2 days after purchase (on the road home) my main window molding popped off and could not be replaced.
The awnign clip was missing a spring so it was not usable and need replacement. Work was done by a Forest river dealer in Maine and I cannot get Forest river to reimburse me for the parts I had to pay out of pocket.
The main entry door deadbolt calved and I took the trailer to a Forset River dealer and they refused to carry out warranty work unless I paid for it up front and then submitted the receipts for reimbursement second.
I did that and now Forest River wants the door handle which the dealer threw out back before reimbursement
I also have a camber issue where all 4 tires are worn on the ourside and the dealer wants me to return to Ohio or send the axles back for their inspection.
This will be the second Forest River product I'll purchase - the first and the last.
Sorry about your loss but it seems that this company is standing behind making money but not much else.