Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2014, 09:52 PM   #1

Corner Seam

Hi All-

I have an aluminum sided 2011 Coachmen and Wanted to get some support on how I should handle the cracking of the sealant on the corners? It is still formable but more and more cracks are appearing. There is a moulding as well that I dont exactly know how to handle. Do I leave it alone or does this require some prevenative maintanance?
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:29 PM   #2
Plain Old Member

Cracking sealant definitely needs to be addressed. Not sure if you're talking about a sealant or the butyl tape that squishes out a little when they screw the corner mouldings on. What I did on my father in law's Jayco, is cut back as much of the gray butyl putty, and seal the areas with Geocel Proflex. That is some very good sealant. It comes in white, clear and black. Maybe gray also but can't remember. Usually can be bought at any camper place, camping world, or a scad of places online. Not cheap, but I've never had to "redo" any of the proflex. I always masked off a straight line where I wanting the bead just to make it look neat. I just finished adding some and redoing some of the factories sealant on our new fifth wheel with 4 tubes of the proflex. I'm particular about this stuff and have yet to see a factory job that I liked. If you have any pictures, might help diagnose a little better. Should be able to take care of every seam on your Coachmen with dicor self leveling lap sealant on the roof, and proflex on the sides.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:43 PM   #3

Traveling for work this week....I'll try to get some pictures this weekend. It is on the corners and appears to be the butyl tape.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:06 PM   #4
Plain Old Member

I don't have a picture of the one I redid, but I got a good idea of what you're talking about. They use quite a bit of putty to fill in the shape of the aluminum siding. Same around windows, doors and hatches. Easy fix with a little spare time.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote