Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2014, 12:08 PM   #1
Sunseeker 2500TS

Cover or Not

All right, I live in Michigan where last year we had 100 inches of snow. I want to cover my FR XLR 29HFS but I have conflicting opinions being thrown at me. My Father in-law, who trailer camped for 50 years, never covered his camper and says those he knew who did ruined their siding with the wind blowing the cover on the camper. Others say that it is the only way to extend the campers life. Thoughts? Tire covers are a given, but what about the camper?
rocrider50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:36 PM   #2

Many discussions over this topic if you search. I feel it is necessary to protect the roof and siding from all of what Ol' man winter brings. Some say you never see a dealer with covers on. But that's because who wants to windows shop a bunch of campers with covers. Plus, dealers like profits. Who's going to fund the purchase of covers?
Old 09-19-2014, 12:40 PM   #3

You asked a good question for sure! With that being said, I just bought a cover for our new camper. I read all the same reviews as you probably and it's almost a perfect mix.

My neighbor has had a cover on his fifth wheel since new and he swears by it.

I haven't put mine on yet and won't until the end of October as that's probably our last trip out for the year.

From the people I talked to and the information I gathered the covers that are of an older design might cause damage and maybe most certainly have caused damage. However, some of the newer style covers out there seem to have alot of design elements that eliminate or really decrease the wind from throwing the cover all around. My cover has all kinds of straps and elastic on it which appears to really keep the cover down.

Again, haven't used it yet but, that's my observation. My neighbor has a 38ft 5er and his cover doesn't move around in the wind and cause any damage whatsoever and I'm banking on mine to do the same.

If it doesn't work out when it wears out I'll think otherwise but, until then you just have to make a decision one way or another I guess.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:47 PM   #4

if it is in an open area, buffeted by wind, no. if in secluded or treed area with minimal wind, yes. you will burnish of the finish if covered in a windy area.
Nights camped 2015 - 46
Nights camped 2016 - 43
Nights camped 2017 - 2
5 hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:57 PM   #5
Tinkerer and Putterer

I use a cover and what I've found is that the covers get beat up by the sharp edges of the rig such as the drain spouts, side rails and ladders. Something to think about. The cover is great for sun protection but against snow? I would be more worried about snow load compromising the roof and getting up on the roof to clean off the snow might cut the cover up more. If you're only planning to cover the rig in the winter then I would question the value of the cover.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #6

It all depends upon how long you plan on keeping the trailer and the space you have. Most people in the south buy those metal pole RV covers which would probably be better for keeping the snow off of your trailer. They do get pricy but you have to determine just what your trailer is worth to you. I priced them here in Louisiana and it would cost me about $2600 vs a $350 strap on cover. I have the room, just not the cash at this time. It's not just the snow either; as sun and rain have a tendency to weather the exterior as well. I bought an ADCO from Camping World that was designed for wet climates but is breathable for rainy areas like Louisiana. The ADCO covers come with ladder and drip edge extension covers so it won't tear the cover; you just have to remember to put them on. The ADCO covers are great if you don't plan on using your trailer every other weekend because it takes a little time to put them on and requires a trip on the roof. If I ever save up enough, I'll be getting the metal cover.
2000 F250 CC SD V10 4X4 8' bed, 4:30 gears, SCT X3
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 - Lots of GT mods
1965 Mustang Coupe I6, 3 spd. manual
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Funeral Car (Ghostbusters ECTO)
kc5mhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:30 PM   #7

Never went that fancy. I buy the local discount tarp (Harbor Freight's been a trusty friend). Then I feed a rope through all the loops and tie it down to the tongue. I use bungee's (purchased from you know where) to tug on the roes. Trick is you don't want to make the tarp to tight that the snow load is on the AC but tight enough that the tarp isn't too lose. I find just tight enough to allow access through the door into the camper is good. I've also pitched the camper up so that the run off goes to the back.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:11 PM   #8
Swift2

We use our cover to protect against sun damage on the rubber roof. Our new trailer has 2" or 3" long drain extensions that stick out. I'm sure our cover will have holes poked in it in no time. I'm planning on putting some kind of round protection over the little spouts. Has any one else figured this out? The cover pulls pretty tight over the corners.
Swift 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift 2 View Post
We use our cover to protect against sun damage on the rubber roof. Our new trailer has 2" or 3" long drain extensions that stick out. I'm sure our cover will have holes poked in it in no time. I'm planning on putting some kind of round protection over the little spouts. Has any one else figured this out? The cover pulls pretty tight over the corners.
Check out the ADCO covers. They come with drip extension covers. I used some of the patch material supplied by ADCO to strengthen the corners. They give you 2 or 3 big sheets. I did that before i found the covers tucked away in the side pouch of the cover bag.
2000 F250 CC SD V10 4X4 8' bed, 4:30 gears, SCT X3
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 - Lots of GT mods
1965 Mustang Coupe I6, 3 spd. manual
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Funeral Car (Ghostbusters ECTO)
kc5mhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift 2 View Post
I bought water spigot covers at Home Depot and siliconed a hook on each corner of the roof. The spigot covers have an elastic or rubber loop inside designed to hold the styrofoam cover on to your water tap on the outside of your house. I loop the lastic to the 3M hook on the roof and slip the cover over the raingutter spout.
I have done mine this way for 3 years now and it works great. Also helps hold the cover out away from the corners of my TT which I found was an issue where the cover would flap in the wind and run the finish off.
1 Ol' Lady
3 Girls
1 Boy
JCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:27 PM   #11

As mentioned it depends on where you live for us a $3500 metal shelter is cheaper than buying $350+ ADCO or other cover as I would need to by 2-3 over the winter here. Covers just don't last here with the wind.......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:44 PM   #12
Site Team

$1 solution. Get a pool noodle from the dollar store and cut it to about 5" and simply slide over each drip spout.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:36 AM   #13

I use tennis bals make a hole in one, put spout inside, secure with electrical tape
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover