Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2015, 12:43 PM   #1

Covering TPO roof seams with elastomeric system

I have just purchased my first RV, 2008 Rockwood ROO 19 and I am a new forum member.
It has the usual piles of caulk (maybe Dicor lap sealant)on the front and rear transverse seams that join the radiused ends to the main flat roof section and glopped around everything else mounted on the roof. There is an aluminum strip fastened over the joint and lots of very uneven sealant that is leaking. I have used elastomeric (EPDM) roofing for homes I have built over the years with great results. I am considering using the thickened compound made for the seams to completely cover these leaking areas and then applying the polyester tape made to reinforce the joint. The tape is pressed into the wet compound , troweled over with more compound and then coated with the regular roof coating. This would overlap the caulked area by about 3" all around. End of leak! I believe the roof membrane is TPO and I'm not sure how this will adhere to it. Properly cleaned and prepped first of course. Elastomeric seems to bond to almost anything. I have even used it on sails in place of the sun cover. I have seen many articles and videos about recoating "rubber" roofs but not sure about the TPO vinyl type, if that is in fact what I have on my ROO? I would also like to redo all the other roof fixtures with this compound/tape system after cleaning off the old bumpy sealant. It's time for general roof maintenance before there is real damage to the wood in the roof system. There is already a small (fist size) soft spot under the leaking seam inside the trailer where a small amount water was trapped under the headliner fabric but overall I think I'm in time to save this trailer as I can't find any other damaged areas. All ideas and experiences welcome about prep and products that work well! Thank you! Can't wait for summer to enjoy this comfy little unit! Senior National Park Card in hand!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150315_102254 - Copy.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	71651  
Newrooster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, roo, roof