Old 07-05-2015, 05:01 PM   #1

Decals cracking

Just wondering if anyone got replacement decals? Do I go to a dealer or FR direct? I have a sunseeker and the camping side decals are really looking bad. I can do the work myself just need the materials.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:57 AM   #2

I have a Georgetown XL 2005 that sits in the sun all year round in Nevada. My Decals and stripping are thrashed. How do I refresh, seal or replace? Thanks Phil.

plspal2@yahoo.com

Old 07-11-2015, 02:22 PM   #3
Sunseeker 3010DS

I don't have any experience with removing decals from fiberglass, but I had success removing them from aluminum with a heat gun. Just get them hot enough to simply peal them off. Not too hot, then remove the excess glue with WD 40 or a mild penetrating oil. did the job and did not hurt the paint. I ultimately ended up repainting the trailer because the decals where no longer available and the paint behind the old ones was not as faded and there was the ghost of the old decals left.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:31 PM   #4

Our Salem LA had the same issues with some of the "decals" and they were replaced by the factory folks at the International Rally 2 years ago. Have more to be replaced this year.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:35 PM   #5

The passenger side of my 2009 Sunseeker has cracked (gold tone) decals. I just bought this rig and I think it has lived it's life so far with that side facing the sun. I plan on matching the gold tone color with some automotive spray paint from a local auto parts store and painting over the vinyl. I will mask off and give it a shot. I suspect I can get a pretty close match and it should look better than the cracking, at least I hope so.
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:55 PM   #6

If I face this problem and likely I will, I plan on just removing them and leaving it that way.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
If I face this problem and likely I will, I plan on just removing them and leaving it that way.
I thought about removing all of mine too, but I saw one the other day with all the decals removed and I looked like a bread truck.
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 03:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendOrLarry View Post
I thought about removing all of mine too, but I saw one the other day with all the decals removed and I looked like a bread truck.
It would still look better than the SOB up the way from me, looks like the owner used a rattle can to cover the logo and stripes....

Even with the extra UV protection the decals are still flaking off....
Old 07-11-2015, 03:47 PM   #9
Weekender

Well about 2 years ago on our old MH, we got tired of looking at ours with all the cracking decals and decided to try painting them. We painstakingly taped off all of them (by colors of course), cleaned them really well with alcohol then painted over them with automotive spray paint for two of the colors and Rustoleum for the third color (close matches to original). After each was dry we then painted them with clear coat. The motorhome actually looked better than when we had purchased it 3 years prior (it was a 2004 model). Took a lot of time, patience and good weather, but what an improvement! It was hard to tell that they were painted unless you were within 3-4 feet and you were really looking for it. They still look great today as I think that painting them stopped the further cracking and deterioration.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:27 PM   #10

I think I may try the painting idea. Really have nothing to lose, if it doesn't look good I'll take it to a body shop for help!! Thanks for all the help and ideas everyone.