Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2010, 10:56 AM   #1

Unhappy Delamination Problem

I posted on the Exterior issues's thread that I believe I have a delamination problem and my warranty was up the 20th of last month, Feb. '10.
I also said that I would try and keep the process of getting my tt fixed updated in case someone runs into a similar problem.

So here's the info I have so far.

I called my dealer and talked to the owner. I feel this dealership will do everything they can to help. She said it might be a problem since I am out of warranty, but since it's a structure issue Forest River may be willing to fix the problem. Another thing I have in my favor, I had the tt in last month before the warranty was up to fix any issues covered by the warranty.

She had me email pics to thier warranty department, but it will be Monday before anyone has a chance to check into the problem.
I will not be able to take the tt to them until the 15th of this month and she said that will not be a problem.

We'll see how it goes.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #2

UPDATE

I took the tt to my dealer today. They looked the tt over and took a couple of pics. They have been in contact with Forest River and told me that Forest River will take care of the problem even though my warranty was up last month.

It seems they had some issues with the silicone used in the laminating process during a specific time frame(?) when building Rockwoods. They go by the tt's identification#(?). I guess I was lucky (unlucky) that mine fell within the ID# range they consider bad.

They will have to send it back to factory and they will replace the whole side. It will be May or June before they can work on the tt and it will take approx. two weeks, until then I can still use the tt.

For those who didn't read the other threads, I found "bubbles" on the outside above my slideout that I could push in. On the inside there were a few hard bumbs in the wall board down the left side. At the dealer they also said there is swelling in the wall. This happens when the styrofoam gets wet.

Things happen and things go wrong. At least Forest River is willing to take care of this. Hope this info helps others.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:03 AM   #3

Well sorry about your problem, but I am glad to hear that they are going to help you,........ so a bad batch of glue! when did the styrofoam get wet before the silicon was applied or after the delam started did they say?
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:42 AM   #4

Thanks rockwood06.

I believe the wall got wet after the delam. It probabaly had already started when I bought the tt. I always noticed that it looked a little wavey above the slideout, it just seemed more noticable the other day when I washed it. That's when I decided to check it more closely. Glad I did.

I never noticed anything inside until the other day, but then again I never looked for anything. You can't really see the swelling but if you run your hand over the wall you can feel it.

I had a leak fixed last winter that was in the right front corner. They told me it was leaking through screws under the corner trim. They applied caulked and replaced the trim. I'm going to check that spot as well as others on the other wall very closely. I would imagine they were made at the same time and would have the same defect. I don't want to have the same problem on the other side 6 months or so down the road and be told it's my problem now.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
Thanks rockwood06.

I believe the wall got wet after the delam. It probabaly had already started when I bought the tt. I always noticed that it looked a little wavey above the slideout, it just seemed more noticable the other day when I washed it. That's when I decided to check it more closely. Glad I did.

I never noticed anything inside until the other day, but then again I never looked for anything. You can't really see the swelling but if you run your hand over the wall you can feel it.

I had a leak fixed last winter that was in the right front corner. They told me it was leaking through screws under the corner trim. They applied caulked and replaced the trim. I'm going to check that spot as well as others on the other wall very closely. I would imagine they were made at the same time and would have the same defect. I don't want to have the same problem on the other side 6 months or so down the road and be told it's my problem now.
You might what to try to get them to give you an extended warrenty for your troubles, It was offered to me but I was in a position to make them take the camper back and give me another new one. You have the right Idea check it over completely this is something you don't want to live with. Good luck.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:19 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Could you post the delam pics? I would like to know what to look for.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Could you post the delam pics? I would like to know what to look for.
Here are a few pics. These pics are of the outside above my slide. There are about 4 places but this is the most noticable. It runs from the top of the tt to the top of the slide and about 3" wide.

I didn't post any of the inside because you can't really see the swelling but you can feel it when you rub your hand over the wall.

You can also get a few hard bumps. Looks something like a rash. I have a few of these but couldn't get any good pics. There is a thread, can't remember which, where they posted pics of the bumps.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bubble 1.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	2287   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bubble 2.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	2288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bubble 3.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	2289  
Old 03-17-2010, 08:09 PM   #8

Make sure they're replacing BOTH left & right sidewalls.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:34 PM   #9

UPDATE!

Returned the tt to the dealer today. FR originally said the tt couldn't be scheduled for repairs until May or June. They called yesterday and asked if I could bring it in but I was on the job 200 miles away. FR had a guy in the area that could pick it up and they had a "slot" where they could get it in for the repairs. Dealer asked me to bring it in today and they will try to get it to FR in the next few days. They still give a time frame of 2 weeks after FR picks the tt up. So I'm expecting 3 to 4 weeks from today.

Did a more thorough check of the tt with the warranty guy. I pointed out a few areas that I was concerned with. They checked it out and determined that both sidewalls need replacing.

They again told me about a time frame where bad glue was used. They can tell by the vin# of the tt if yours was made during that time slot. If it was and you have any problems, they will fix it. I was told by the dealer they have only had a few with the delam problem and the repairs are done very well and they have had no problems since.

It all works out better for me. I was going to camp this weekend but I'ld rather have it fixed now than later. I told my DW that we could use the tent that we've owned for about 15 years. I'll let you imagine her response. It's probably better than what I received.

We did get our trip in with our grand kids last weekend. Mid 50's and cloudy but we all had a great trip. Sitting around the campfire, roasting hot dogs, making smores, sure was nice.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Campsite.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	2329  
Old 03-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #10

I fell for you, having to send it back when you are geared up for camping. I am glad they will take care of It for you.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:41 PM   #11

Thanks rockwood06.

I had the option to wait until camping season was over but I thought it was best to get the repairs done. It seems the longer you let a problem set, the worst it gets. I didn't want to add to the problem so I told them, "Let's get it done as soon as possible."

At least we got one trip in with our 2 oldest grand kids. First time at this campground. I bet it really looks nice when things green up. Great place for kids. We'll go back after they return the tt.

Here's a few more pics. It stayed cloudy and in the mid 50's for highs until the day that we left. Then it was in the mid 60's before noon and the sun finally came out.

Man, I've got to start livin' right!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cabins & River.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	2334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Playground & Camp.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	2335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kids.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	2336   Click image for larger version

Name:	River.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	2337  
Old 03-25-2010, 05:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
Thanks rockwood06.

I had the option to wait until camping season was over but I thought it was best to get the repairs done. It seems the longer you let a problem set, the worst it gets. I didn't want to add to the problem so I told them, "Let's get it done as soon as possible."

At least we got one trip in with our 2 oldest grand kids. First time at this campground. I bet it really looks nice when things green up. Great place for kids. We'll go back after they return the tt.

Here's a few more pics. It stayed cloudy and in the mid 50's for highs until the day that we left. Then it was in the mid 60's before noon and the sun finally came out.

Man, I've got to start livin' right!
Great pic just a few more days and i will be doing the samething. It so bad I had a campfire yesterday at my house, I have a 30" fire ring I installed on my pool deck and while I was cleaning the pool I decided to have a fire, I guess it is the smell that takes me back to the campground. It's nice that you and your fanily was able to get one more camping trip in before the repairs. Good luck.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:31 AM   #13

UPDATE

Forest River picked the tt up on the 25th. According to my dealer I should have it back in two weeks, April 8th. They were suppose to contact me when FR picked it up but I called saturday to find out the status. A little disapointed that they didn't keep their word but I have always experienced good service with this dealer so this is not a big deal.

They told me that they will not only replace both side but re-caulk the whole tt. If they do all they say it should be as good or in this case better than new.

We'll see in a couple of weeks.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:43 AM   #14

Please keep updating us. I have an '09 8306SS and I just found very similar damge to mine above my rear slide. I a have an appointment with the dealer next week. I've always heard horror stories about repairs like this, I really hope yours (and probably mine) goes well. My warranty is still valid through August '10.

-Matt
magonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by magonzo View Post
Please keep updating us. I have an '09 8306SS and I just found very similar damge to mine above my rear slide. I a have an appointment with the dealer next week. I've always heard horror stories about repairs like this, I really hope yours (and probably mine) goes well. My warranty is still valid through August '10.

-Matt
I'll let you know when something happens. According to their schedule I should be able to pick the tt up this weekend.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:58 PM   #16

We are still going to use it though. If we need to send it back to FR it will be in the offseason. We are camping once a month through December.
-Matt
magonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #17

magonzo,

My dealer gave me the option to wait until fall/winter. I decided that I wanted the problem taken care of as soon as possible.

The bad glue that caused the delamination in the first place opens up the chance of water damage. That was becoming evident inside the tt. It was hard to tell by looking but if you run the palm of your hand over the wall inside the tt you could feel where the wall had swelled. This is due to the styrofoam insulation getting wet. My dealer actually pointed this out to me. It can also produce small, hard bumps sometimes looking like a rash. I had a few of these as well. You might want to keep an eye out for those problems.

I felt that everytime it rained the damage would get worse. Also the longer I waited presented the possibility of mold growing inside the wall.

I just know the problem wasn't getting any better and would only get worse, possibly cause other problems. I didn't want them to have the opportunity to say that at least some of the damage was due to my delaying the repairs and then charging me for that part.

Good luck with yours and I hope that FR repairs both our tt's to our satisfaction.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:29 AM   #18

Sorry but every time I see this subject line "Delamination problems", Dalmatian problems run through my mind as we have two of the troublemakers.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:40 PM   #19

Last thursday was 2 weeks since FR picked up the tt. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks and I finally heard from my dealer today. The tt is ready and waiting shipment back to my dealer. From what I've read about a shortage of haulers, this may be a while longer.

Of course I'll do a close inspection when it gets back and the dealer told me they do as well. I feel confident everything will be in good repair. They replaced both sides, re-caulked the entire roof including all vents and re-caulked the windows and all lights on the front and rear caps.

I'm getting anxious now. The weather has been great this past week and I'm ready to camp!
Old 04-15-2010, 04:53 AM   #20

If you can, post some pic....I hope they do a great job for you