Old 03-06-2010, 10:56 AM   #1

Unhappy Delamination Problem

I posted on the Exterior issues's thread that I believe I have a delamination problem and my warranty was up the 20th of last month, Feb. '10.
I also said that I would try and keep the process of getting my tt fixed updated in case someone runs into a similar problem.

So here's the info I have so far.

I called my dealer and talked to the owner. I feel this dealership will do everything they can to help. She said it might be a problem since I am out of warranty, but since it's a structure issue Forest River may be willing to fix the problem. Another thing I have in my favor, I had the tt in last month before the warranty was up to fix any issues covered by the warranty.

She had me email pics to thier warranty department, but it will be Monday before anyone has a chance to check into the problem.
I will not be able to take the tt to them until the 15th of this month and she said that will not be a problem.

We'll see how it goes.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:49 PM   #2

UPDATE

I took the tt to my dealer today. They looked the tt over and took a couple of pics. They have been in contact with Forest River and told me that Forest River will take care of the problem even though my warranty was up last month.

It seems they had some issues with the silicone used in the laminating process during a specific time frame(?) when building Rockwoods. They go by the tt's identification#(?). I guess I was lucky (unlucky) that mine fell within the ID# range they consider bad.

They will have to send it back to factory and they will replace the whole side. It will be May or June before they can work on the tt and it will take approx. two weeks, until then I can still use the tt.

For those who didn't read the other threads, I found "bubbles" on the outside above my slideout that I could push in. On the inside there were a few hard bumbs in the wall board down the left side. At the dealer they also said there is swelling in the wall. This happens when the styrofoam gets wet.

Things happen and things go wrong. At least Forest River is willing to take care of this. Hope this info helps others.

Gary & Trish

2017 Nights Camped - 4
Old 03-16-2010, 05:03 AM   #3

Well sorry about your problem, but I am glad to hear that they are going to help you,........ so a bad batch of glue! when did the styrofoam get wet before the silicon was applied or after the delam started did they say?
Old 03-16-2010, 07:42 AM   #4

Thanks rockwood06.

I believe the wall got wet after the delam. It probabaly had already started when I bought the tt. I always noticed that it looked a little wavey above the slideout, it just seemed more noticable the other day when I washed it. That's when I decided to check it more closely. Glad I did.

I never noticed anything inside until the other day, but then again I never looked for anything. You can't really see the swelling but if you run your hand over the wall you can feel it.

I had a leak fixed last winter that was in the right front corner. They told me it was leaking through screws under the corner trim. They applied caulked and replaced the trim. I'm going to check that spot as well as others on the other wall very closely. I would imagine they were made at the same time and would have the same defect. I don't want to have the same problem on the other side 6 months or so down the road and be told it's my problem now.

Gary & Trish

2017 Nights Camped - 4
Old 03-16-2010, 08:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
Thanks rockwood06.

I believe the wall got wet after the delam. It probabaly had already started when I bought the tt. I always noticed that it looked a little wavey above the slideout, it just seemed more noticable the other day when I washed it. That's when I decided to check it more closely. Glad I did.

I never noticed anything inside until the other day, but then again I never looked for anything. You can't really see the swelling but if you run your hand over the wall you can feel it.

I had a leak fixed last winter that was in the right front corner. They told me it was leaking through screws under the corner trim. They applied caulked and replaced the trim. I'm going to check that spot as well as others on the other wall very closely. I would imagine they were made at the same time and would have the same defect. I don't want to have the same problem on the other side 6 months or so down the road and be told it's my problem now.
You might what to try to get them to give you an extended warrenty for your troubles, It was offered to me but I was in a position to make them take the camper back and give me another new one. You have the right Idea check it over completely this is something you don't want to live with. Good luck.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:19 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Could you post the delam pics? I would like to know what to look for.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Could you post the delam pics? I would like to know what to look for.
Here are a few pics. These pics are of the outside above my slide. There are about 4 places but this is the most noticable. It runs from the top of the tt to the top of the slide and about 3" wide.

I didn't post any of the inside because you can't really see the swelling but you can feel it when you rub your hand over the wall.

You can also get a few hard bumps. Looks something like a rash. I have a few of these but couldn't get any good pics. There is a thread, can't remember which, where they posted pics of the bumps.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bubble 1.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	2287   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bubble 2.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	2288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bubble 3.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	2289  

Gary & Trish

2017 Nights Camped - 4
Old 03-17-2010, 09:09 PM   #8

Make sure they're replacing BOTH left & right sidewalls.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:34 PM   #9

UPDATE!

Returned the tt to the dealer today. FR originally said the tt couldn't be scheduled for repairs until May or June. They called yesterday and asked if I could bring it in but I was on the job 200 miles away. FR had a guy in the area that could pick it up and they had a "slot" where they could get it in for the repairs. Dealer asked me to bring it in today and they will try to get it to FR in the next few days. They still give a time frame of 2 weeks after FR picks the tt up. So I'm expecting 3 to 4 weeks from today.

Did a more thorough check of the tt with the warranty guy. I pointed out a few areas that I was concerned with. They checked it out and determined that both sidewalls need replacing.

They again told me about a time frame where bad glue was used. They can tell by the vin# of the tt if yours was made during that time slot. If it was and you have any problems, they will fix it. I was told by the dealer they have only had a few with the delam problem and the repairs are done very well and they have had no problems since.

It all works out better for me. I was going to camp this weekend but I'ld rather have it fixed now than later. I told my DW that we could use the tent that we've owned for about 15 years. I'll let you imagine her response. It's probably better than what I received.

We did get our trip in with our grand kids last weekend. Mid 50's and cloudy but we all had a great trip. Sitting around the campfire, roasting hot dogs, making smores, sure was nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Campsite.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	2329  

Gary & Trish

2017 Nights Camped - 4
Old 03-23-2010, 08:48 PM   #10

I fell for you, having to send it back when you are geared up for camping. I am glad they will take care of It for you.