Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #1

Dicor or Eternabond ?

So we are just back from 3 days in the mountains in our ROO 21RS and we now have a leak in the bathroom sky light. We had a huge thunderstorm and ended up with water on the floor .... not good. Now I must admit that I have not been on the roof to inspect the joints as I know that I should have been, inspections have been limited to a quick look over the edge from a ladder.

I don't get on at all with heights so this is a bit of an issue.

I have done quite a bit of searching and the skylight issue seems common, but ours doesn't appear to be cracked as others are. I sent the DW up tonight to have a closer look and some of the Dicor sealant seems a little cracked but nothing too bad. Anyway we obviously need to do something about it, and in this case the "we" will mean the DW. So I have a couple of questions

1) Is the roof of the ROO strong enough for a 160lb DW to stand on, or should we put up some plywood to spread the load just in case ?

2) Given that the skylight has started to leak, it is probably prudent to reseal all the other areas of the roof. So is Eternabond worth the extra $$$, bearing in mind that the roof is more than likely going to continue to be neglected as far as inspections go.

3) How easy is eternabond to apply ? The DW is reasonably handy, as she has been press ganged at various times in our marriage to be a lumberjack, builder, plasterer, plumber and generally "can you hold this honey ?" type of gal. I have no doubts that applying Dicor would be a walk in the park for her, and probably the eternabond as well for that matter.

Having removed the internal section of the skylight to dry it all out, interesting to see what is probably a 1/4" plywood top skin with white expanded polystyrene then another 1/4" plywood skin on the inside. I can only assume that there are some roof ribs somewhere up there holding it all together.

Any input will be greatly welcomed as we only have 10 days to get it fixed before we are off again camping.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #2

Dicor or Eternabond

buzzmonster;
Your questions

1) Is the roof of the ROO strong enough for a 160lb DW to stand on, or should we put up some plywood to spread the load just in case ?
Don't know. Hopefully someone with one will help answer.

2) Given that the skylight has started to leak, it is probably prudent to reseal all the other areas of the roof. So is Eternabond worth the extra $$$, bearing in mind that the roof is more than likely going to continue to be neglected as far as inspections go.
Eternabond is very good after you find out where the real leak is located. On my new 5th wheel applied Eternabond over the Dicor. If you apply it correctly on a clean surface it will not come off or leak again.

3) How easy is eternabond to apply ? The DW is reasonably handy, as she has been press ganged at various times in our marriage to be a lumberjack, builder, plasterer, plumber and generally "can you hold this honey ?" type of gal. I have no doubts that applying Dicor would be a walk in the park for her, and probably the eternabond as well for that matter.

Eternabond is easy if you apply to a clean dry surface.
You only expose a small amount of sticky backing at a time and you MUST press out all air pockets. If you have a small roller will help and the one Eternabond is a good quailty steel roller with a rounded side and a square side. Also do not do in the heat of the day. Too hot will start melting the glue out of the sides of the roll. Also do not take the white paper off of the sides of the roll and lay it down as it will stick to everything.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
COMer

The Dicor product is pretty new and the Eternabond has been around for a long time. It is excellent. I would use it but make very sure that the surface contains no loose caulk or other debris.
jbirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Buzz,
Congratulations to your wife for getting up there (and to you for talking her into it ).

Your DW can walk on the roof. I'm 170lbs and am up on my 233S every month or so to inspect. Some use a board to spread out their weight but I do not think that is necessary; just don't dance up there. However, you should use a board if you feel that helps. It certainly can't hurt.

I only use Dicor or Alpha self-leveling LAP sealant and have had no problems with it on several trailers but have considered the Eternabond project. I recommend you search via our excellent search engine for others who have done it.

Make sure to follow the instructions.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #5

I'm 220lbs and have been on my Roo's roof many times for inspection and cleaning. No boards for me but I do avoid the areas around cutouts (AC, vents)

Tags
eternabond