Old 08-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
Did I Use Wrong Roof Sealant? If So, What Now?

I was in an RV Repair Center a few days ago and I asked what product would be good for sealing my trailerís rubber roof. The owner (with 35 yrs experience as and RV repairman) retrieved a can of Geocel ProFlexRV Instant Roof Repair and said that this was the thing to use. Today I re-sealed all seams on my other (08 Jayco 25 RKS) trailer roof with this product. After (like a dummy) I was finished, I read the can and I looked up the properties of this sealant on the web. I was upset to find that the manufacturer, Geocel, specifically says not to use this on EPDM, and that this product is designed for metal roofs.

5 hours after the sealant was applied I looked at the stuff, and it appeared to be just set up, no wrinkles, feels pliable and watertight to the touch etc.......looked really good.

I am NOT interested in hearing about what sealant I should have used. I am very interested in hearing from folks that are knowledgeable on what the repercussions of having used this sealant might be. Where do I go from here?

Thanks much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pro Flex Roof Repair.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	38558  

tperk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #2
Call Jayco customer support. I think they would give you the most correct answer.

Kevin (BurgPath)
2008 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2008.5 Nissan Titan SE 4x4
Mods and Pics

BurgPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
According to Dicor, an EPDM roof manufacturer, you are to NEVER use anything on the roof if it contains petroleum distillates or solvents. Actually, they don't recommend any type of sealer, but only that you clean the roof periodically with a mild non-petroleum cleaner. There are several EPDM safe roof cleaners out there that can be used. If something is used that has petroleum distillates, they say it will soak into the rubber making it swell and also can cause the adhesive to release. In other words, you end up with a bubbley roof. Technically the use of petroleum-based products can also void the warranty. Everything I have read from Dicor says nothing about what can be done after the fact. I guess it will be a wait-and-see if any damage has been done to the EPDM.

Bob & Doris
Roanoke, VA
2009 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 4x4 - 5.7L - 6 Speed Auto - 4.30:1
2013 Rockwood HW296
w4drr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
Even some Dicor self leveling sealant says not for TPO roofs. I know you said EDPM, but you are not the first one to put the wrong stuff on. If the stuff has dried and outgassed pretty good, at this point the damage is done. I have seen immediate damage, and some swelling and bubbles in 24 hours. All were from petrol based products. None of that damage caused the roof to fail at its primary function of keeping water out in all its forms.

Since you see no damage I might be inclined to just leave it alone. Heating and scrapeing it all up might do more harm than good. The real question might be, what about next time? I might just use the same wrong product again until a heat and scrape is needed (when is that?), or for the life of the roof.
adaycj is offline   Reply With Quote

roo, roof