Old 10-10-2013, 07:11 AM   #11
Camper Less Camping
I'm 250lbs and walk on roof like a squirrel...I have full confidence with my Sabre roof construction to handle it & it's the best way to inspect the entire roof

2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6 (sold)
Family of 4 whose always on the GEAUX!
Cajun Po-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:50 AM   #12
Only when I have to. Only then just for maintenance, and a visual checks for any changes. Like posted above, I am more afraid of the attached ladder, and is why I have one those Little Giant Ladders. I lean it up against the attached ladder, and secure it when using it. Just something about climbing straight up on the attached ladder that bothers me. The LGL comes in handy for other chores as well. I sometimes see folks at sporting events with lawn chairs on their RV roofs and wonder what kind, if any, damage they might be doing.

"Full Timer" with "Boon Docking" in the desert southwest being my drug of choice. Well, that and really cold beer.
Patches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #13
Maybe some of the Elkhart Factory Tour people can chime in on this. I did a factory tour of a non-Forest River company. There were people walking all over the roofs during construction. It didn't seam to be a problem.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:28 PM   #14
It would seem pretty obvious. If the roof wasn't made to be walked on, they wouldn't offer a ladder as an option. Liability would rear its ugly head.

TooLoose - WeTrek

04.5 CTD 2500 Dodge 6spd manual
2014 Flagstaff 8528ckws
elkabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:36 PM   #15
I have a foam mat(bought at NAPA) it is covered and folds in half(red) about $25. It is great for working on cars etc. I used it when I was servicing the a/c on the roof. It made the stress points greater. I had to watch for my boot tips(I know soft shoes). They were my only "ukoh". No damage, just a concern.
totalled 04-11-16 by storm(picking up new one 10-26-16)
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:01 AM   #16
I weigh 200 lbs and walk on my roof to wash and inspect it. Haven't had any problems.
2013 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2006 Dodge Durango Hemi 5.7
Equal-i-zer WDH
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #17
Most if the factories have 2-4 people on the roof during construction. Your roof, your concern - I am 230 lbs no problems w/ladder or roof. Soft shoes, NO FRICKIN CHAIRS as the chairs will put holes where you don't want them. Even with plywood pads, when you get up to grab another "beverage" you will have the chair, pads, empties, etc. flying off the roof if there is any wind. Neighboring rigs tend not to take kindly to window damage from your crap flying through the air.

Brenda and John
'14 Ram 3500 MCSB 6.7L HO PullRite 16K S/G, Grey Columbus 320RS Camped '14 - 146 days/'15 - 196 days
USN-EOD(Ret), Master Chief, 30 yrs,
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote