Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2014, 08:45 AM   #1

Does Hail damage a Rubber roof?

Well folks, I was all set to pick up a new unit in Michigan next Monday however I'm leary about going through with the deal now knowing that the unit I bought went thru the hail storm yesterday with 3/4" hail.

Does anybody know what hail does to a rubber roof. This just happened yesterday so I need to communicate with the deal to see what they say but I'm just wonder if anyone has gone thru a hail storm and what to expect?
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
Well folks, I was all set to pick up a new unit in Michigan next Monday however I'm leary about going through with the deal now knowing that the unit I bought went thru the hail storm yesterday with 3/4" hail.

Does anybody know what hail does to a rubber roof. This just happened yesterday so I need to communicate with the deal to see what they say but I'm just wonder if anyone has gone thru a hail storm and what to expect?
To be honest I would say no to the rubber roof, but you have other things that can be. Such as skylights, Plastic vent covers plus your refer vent if not in the sidewall . The roof should be fine. BUT that is only MY OPINION. That is what I would look at. Can't see how hail would hurt the rubber at all.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:24 AM   #3

I checked my roof after the storm. No damage on the roof and no water inside with the slides open during the hail.
msroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by msroll View Post
I checked my roof after the storm. No damage on the roof and no water inside with the slides open during the hail.
Thanks good news and you were right in the heart of the storm right? I will inspect everything. There may an option of taking a unit that was indoors during the storm but it's not quiet the same and not as good a deal.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #5

Can the hail separate the adhesion of the rubber from the plywood?
Old 04-13-2014, 10:49 AM   #6
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
To be honest I would say no to the rubber roof, but you have other things that can be. Such as skylights, Plastic vent covers plus your refer vent if not in the sidewall . The roof should be fine. BUT that is only MY OPINION. That is what I would look at. Can't see how hail would hurt the rubber at all.
X2

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:55 AM   #7
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Can the hail separate the adhesion of the rubber from the plywood?
Very doubtful. 3/4" hail doesn't usually tear up much, just dents sheet metal and cracks plastic.
Now golfball maybe an issue depending on quantity and baseball- softball.... yeah you'd have some skylights!

Check the vents, lights, ladder, antenna, awning and cap. Also inspect the dicor for cracks.
When mine was totaled from hail last summer, the roof was fine, but vents, antenna, dicor, and siding got beat up.

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:49 AM   #8
Wanna Be Camper

2 years ago our truck was sitting beside our trailer and got hit with hail to the tune of almost $7000 and there wasn't a mark on the trailer anywhere including the roof. So with what I know I would say do not worry about roof damage.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:57 PM   #9

very grateful for your responses!!!!!!
Old 04-13-2014, 02:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks good news and you were right in the heart of the storm right? I will inspect everything. There may an option of taking a unit that was indoors during the storm but it's not quiet the same and not as good a deal.
Yes we are in The Grand Blanc area. Our yard was covered with hail.
msroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:33 PM   #11

Day 2 after bringing home new TT we got a bad hail storm. Pics are posted in file. No damage to TT.
The House however is a different story. Got new roof.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
Day 2 after bringing home new TT we got a bad hail storm. Pics are posted in file. No damage to TT.
The House however is a different story. Got new roof.

Thanks Woodman, I had hail damage on my roof also. 2 neighbors got new roofs, State Farm would help me. I wait for another hurricane.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:35 PM   #13

My Jayco TT was hit by hail three times. The rubber roof was always fine, it was the aluminum siding and the roof fixtures that were destroyed.

We got caught 2 miles from the Live Oak Ridge camground on Lake Belton, TX the last weekend of March, and were clobbered by baseball sized hail for over 10 minutes. Blew out the skylight (again), but all of the windows survived. The aluminum skin, however....$15,000 repair bill. Insurance company said it was time to total it. ($6,000 damage to the truck).

Our new Rockwood 5er arrives in 2 weeks. :-) Fiberglass siding this time, should stand up to hail a lot better!
Red Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:09 AM   #14

I've never had hail damage to a rubber roof in six years. And I live in central Indiana.
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:57 AM   #15

That's amazing, I would cry if my truck got destroyed like that. Were they able to fix it or did you trade it.?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 04-30-2014, 10:24 AM   #16

Quote:
That's amazing, I would cry if my truck got destroyed like that. Were they able to fix it or did you trade it.?
Truck was repaired, it's smooth and shiny. The roof was cut off and an new one wielded in, and the hood was replaced. The rest of the dents were taking care of by the paintless dent repair team there.

The trailer was a total loss due to the expense of replacing all of the aluminum, though. The dealership agree, the fiberglass sided units fare much better with hail storms than the aluminum ones.

I'll be getting Max Aire II's to protect the vents on the new trailer ASAP.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
Truck was repaired, it's smooth and shiny. The roof was cut off and an new one wielded in, and the hood was replaced. The rest of the dents were taking care of by the paintless dent repair team there.

The trailer was a total loss due to the expense of replacing all of the aluminum, though. The dealership agree, the fiberglass sided units fare much better with hail storms than the aluminum ones.

I'll be getting Max Aire II's to protect the vents on the new trailer ASAP.
getting the max air are cheap protection, but the skylights that are popular now on units are just a waist IMO either they all leak or a hail storm will break them. But I guess people like them. I have one over the shower area, I would rather have a light myself. You are right gel coat will hold up better in a hail storm, but I don't know with baseball size hail. I do not even remember any winter like this in Virginia. It seems like it will not end....It will end oneday and we can get back to camping again...... What new trailer did you buy?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
the skylights that are popular now on units are just a waist IMO either they all leak or a hail storm will break them.

Yep!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1398880796.289466.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	51285
Old 05-15-2014, 08:23 PM   #19

I know I am a little late on this post, but 4 years ago we had a hail storm. The cost to repair the hail damage was over $ 5,500.00. Had to replace the roof, holes punched through the rubber membrane, all four sky lights broken, all covers broken(refrig., AC) and some of the running lights on the out side.
So can it damage a rubber roof, yes.
Moose509 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof