Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2018, 01:59 PM   #1

Door seal replacement

Discovered evidence of a fairly large leak in my rear storage compartment (passthrough). Well, I guess ¼ inch of water standing in the floor would be a large leak. Couldn’t find any reason until I noticed some watermarks on the interior of the access door. Found it.

We were camped with two days of heavy rain and winds exceeding 20 kts blowing directly toward that door. Everything under the awning was completely soaked. After drying the compartment I sprayed the outside of the door with a water hose and, sure nuff, the water got into the compartment.

Obviously I need to replace the seal. The current one appears ok but it ain’t. The MH is only three months old plus whatever time passed during the original build and delivery to me. The existing seal is about ¼ inch wide and ⅛ inch thick.

There are hundreds of different seals that could fit. Anyone here having experience replacing door seals have a recommendation on brand or type of seal?
Old 11-12-2018, 02:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Most of those baggage doors have D seals. Called that because the cross section looks like a "D". Most RV dealers have it in rolls.

Post a picture of it with something for reference and we should be able to identify it.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:10 PM   #3

Steel Rubber, a company makes replacement rubber seals for old cars. They just came out with a whole line of RV rubber seals. I am sure they,would be better/cheaper than any dealer. They do make nice parts. No I am not affiliated with,them other than a customer.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:23 PM   #4

Here’s a picture of the seal. It appears to have a groove near the center but there’s no matching area on the door which would fit that groove.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Here’s a picture of the seal. It appears to have a groove near the center but there’s no matching area on the door which would fit that groove.
looks like they installed the seal upside down . the area where it joins should be on the bottom . so any water getting past the door flows along the seal till where it comes together and in it comes .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:42 PM   #6

X2 on the seal installed upside down.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:09 PM   #7

That sounds logical. But, by upside down does that mean the seal should start and end at the bottom of the opening? Or, is the seal supposed to have the slightly thicker portion on the outer edge?
Old 11-12-2018, 04:15 PM   #8

I always put gaps at the bottom and glue the ends together.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
That sounds logical. But, by upside down does that mean the seal should start and end at the bottom of the opening? Or, is the seal supposed to have the slightly thicker portion on the outer edge?
Joined ends on the bottom . I'll bet that fixes this issue
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:09 PM   #10

I checked the other doors and all of them have the ends on the bottom. I believe y’all have led me to the solution.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:04 AM   #11
Site Team

That looks like a "B" type seal. Search for B type rubber seal and you should find something that will work, if you tear that one up getting it off.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
That looks like a "B" type seal. Search for B type rubber seal and you should find something that will work, if you tear that one up getting it off.
Thanks. Yes, it definitely is Type B, and as usual it’s available on Amazon. Since I’m sure the existing seal will be damaged during removal I’ve ordered two rolls for Thursday delivery.

Tags
door, replacement, seal