Old 09-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #1

EPDM, TPO or PVC?

I will be replacing the single-ply TPO membrane on my 2008 Rockwood. It has a couple of leaks that I can't track down and a little damaged plywood that needs to be replaced. I am planning to do the work myself but I am undecided about which product. The TPO on the camper has not performed well, so I am a little leery of it. EPDM is the most common fix, but leaves streaks on the sides. The PVC is relatively new and I haven't found any reviews. Anybody got an opinion?

Old 09-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #2

Epdm

Matt, have you replaced that roof yet? I just covered my entire roof with EPDM liquid rubber. My roof was EPDM rubber and I didn't like the chalking either. The EPDM liquid rubber is a super high gloss bright white when applied and it stays that way - EPDM without the chalk running down the sides of the RV. Total cost for my entire 32' Salem was under $375.00. It's great stuff and if you haven't replaced your roof yet, you may want to take a look at it. Google EPDM Liquid Rubber or epdmcoatings.com. Excellent stuff.

EPDM Rubber Roof Installation - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbraK...hannel&list=UL Pulled by a 2002 Chevy Avalanche, 496cid Rat motor, 12k Lb. tow package, leveling hitch, dual sway controls & electric brakes.
xf021209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #3

I looked at the coatings but with the plywood damage I was going to rpair and then replace with new membrane.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
Oklahoma Proud

I wonder if a fella could do a sheet metal roof and corners like some of the high end horse trailers and race car trailers. I know the corners are a.little more radiused but I would think a very durable material. Not the answer you were looking for but.... I would think the role out sheet of roofing would be easier to dry in but one pin hole and you are leaking again. The liquid may be a little harder to get 100% guaranteed coverage but a couple of coats and you would probably be safe, and wont scratch/tear as easy. I think it may be 6 of one half dozen of another!?
Old 09-11-2012, 08:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Sopher
I looked at the coatings but with the plywood damage I was going to rpair and then replace with new membrane.
I was lucky and the press board used on my TT only had one small area where the wood had dry rotted out. I cut a piece of plywood and the liquid nailed it, so I didn't need to replace the original EPDM rubber. While doing research I did find some people that used just enough EPDM rubber to cover the patched area, then did the EPDM liquid rubber over that. There are certainly many options.
EPDM Rubber Roof Installation - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbraK...hannel&list=UL Pulled by a 2002 Chevy Avalanche, 496cid Rat motor, 12k Lb. tow package, leveling hitch, dual sway controls & electric brakes.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #6

If you have a choice between the 3, use TPO, best material.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
On another forum I am a member of, there seems to be mixed feelings on EPDM vs. TPO. TPO has a felt backing that, some say, will wick water if a leak develops and thus spread potential damage further and quicker. No experience on PVC but the church I am a member of is preparing to have a PVC roof installed. Warranted not to leak for 15 years, then a free inspection, and an additional 5 years. Several businesses we have contacted are happy with it.

Is it possible to pull back the roofing, repair and reinstall the existing. Then a coating like Todd described? There are also dealers that can pressurize the inside, spray a soap solution and find any leaks. Have heard that it can be done for about $150.00. I have also heard of creative owners rigging up a pressure test themselves.

Good Luck
Old 09-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime
I wonder if a fella could do a sheet metal roof and corners like some of the high end horse trailers and race car trailers. I know the corners are a.little more radiused but I would think a very durable material. Not the answer you were looking for but.... I would think the role out sheet of roofing would be easier to dry in but one pin hole and you are leaking again. The liquid may be a little harder to get 100% guaranteed coverage but a couple of coats and you would probably be safe, and wont scratch/tear as easy. I think it may be 6 of one half dozen of another!?
I can promise after working with the EPDM liquid rubber it would be next to impossible to not get complete and 100% guaranteed coverage with it. I was worried about the same thing, but this stuff is so thick and is truly self leveling. After blobbing (cause it certainly isn't painting) it on and smoothing it out, it still remains very thick. It's rare I tout a product, but I am truly impressed by this stuff. The EPDM liquid rubber (and liquid would be an exaggeration because it's so thick) is one of those rare "it's really not too good to be true" products. My only concern is how long will it last. The advertised life is 10 to 15 years. Time will tell!
Old 09-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkent1
If you have a choice between the 3, use TPO, best material.
Considering the roof as he mentioned is TPO, it might be best to stick with the original material. I can't say I would have used EPDM liquid rubber if my TT didn't have an EPDM rubber roof originally.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
Dallas Texas

Recently saw this. Definately something most could do.