Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2010, 08:08 PM   #1

Eternabond

Went nuts with the Eternabond this afternoon. Bought a 50-foot roll and did the front and rear main seams, all the vents, and the shower skylight. At the very least it will keep the factory seam sealer from drying out and cracking. Great to get it done while the roof is new and clean, and the factory seam sealer is still tacky, should guarantee good adhesion.
I was going to do the slideouts as well, but was pleased to see the factory already did them!
Considering that the camper is stored in a heated shop, it should last us a very, very long time.
The Eternabond was easy enough to work with, just make sure to not get any dirt on the sticky side, and don't let it touch anything before you have it positioned where you want it, as it is reluctant to let go once attached!
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:23 PM   #2

I also bought the 50ft. roll but have not used the stuff yet. Glad it worked out sounds simple enough. Guess I will have to get off my butt and get it done.
Thanks for the info.

Bill
2020 GMC Duramax-3500HD 4x4 CrewCab
B&W Companion 25K Fifth Wheel Hitch
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
56 Gallon Titan Tank
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:35 PM   #3

You're right, pics would help. But my wife is the photographer, and getting up on that roof once was once too often!
I used the full 6" width on the front and rear main seams, but cut it in half for a 3" strip around the vents. The skylight needed a bit wider strip to cover the seam sealer, so I used 4".
For the main seams, I wrapped it over the edge of the roof, about 1.5 inch over each side. For the vents, started on the downslope side, working around to the high side, kindof like doing roof flashing. But considering how sticky that Eternabond is, I doubt if it matters how it is applied. But I did try to cover the factory seam sealer completely, with overlap on both the vent/skylight/gelcoat and the roof membrane. That way you get the Eternabond seal on both sides of the factory seam sealer, plus the seal of that seam sealer as well.
I guess a picture would be easier than trying to explain it!
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:21 PM   #4

Thanks for the tips on applying Eternabond to the roof. Planning a trip the end of the month, so maybe I will get mine done after we get back.....

Bill
2020 GMC Duramax-3500HD 4x4 CrewCab
B&W Companion 25K Fifth Wheel Hitch
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
56 Gallon Titan Tank
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:45 PM   #5

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
If you can use duck-tape....you can use Enternabond tape,As Crocus says once its down its down!! so just be carefull went you first place it !! Forest River must have started using it for all seams because I went to do my end caps etc. on my 2011 Rockwood Windjammer I was surprised it was already done, just had to use it in the Satilight that was installed by RVW...I 'll tell you that Auto-windgard Sat is the nuts....no pointing or adj. manually it does it all by its self.. I just look at it run like a little kid with a new toy !! Folds down and everything by its self
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #6

I put it on my trailer. Make sure to get it real clean.

Some pictures click to make bigger

2007Rockwood2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:12 PM   #7

I did the eternabond trick early this summer, I was on the roof today and was a bit dissapointed as in some places where it is overlapping, it's starting to lift. I made sure that everything was squeaky clean and used alcohol and eternaclean on most areas. interesting it is sticking to all other surfaces, but not to itself.

2010 Rockwood 8281SS Signature Ultra Light
2009 Dodge Ram 2500 w/6.7 Cummins
bobsquarepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:09 PM   #8

Bob did You change out a Honey well stat.I need a little help new to this site if You did please E-mail Me and I will explain the proplem I am haveing Thank You
Bushman512003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:13 PM   #9

Does anyone know if applying Eternabond will void the Forest River warranty on a new trailer? Sounds like a good thing to do, but don't want to mess up my warranty.
Chillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:13 PM   #10

Just for Your info...

I have used it and found it is not what it is cracked up to being...I had it come off in less than a week.Not all of it but 30% I would say came loose. So thought I would tell You also I was carefull to do the instruction thing also to the T....A costley wast of money but it may have been old tape how would You know? On a new unit I would think it would be better than a old cleaned up one also...bushman
Bushman512003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternabond