Old 05-24-2012, 05:09 AM   #31
Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Have been watching the "BUMP-OUT" tape!

Since buying our 8285WS in Jan 2011, I have been watching the tape on the roof of the bump out. The factory applied EternaBond on the roof near the flange on the outer part of the roof begun to pucker in four places pretty bad. Every time I ran the room in, I would stand on the top step that goes into the bed room to look at the tape. As time went by the tape began to pucker more and more. I was afraid the puckers would eventually let water seep into the outer wall causing delamination.
I ordered 6" X 50' EternaBond tape, purchased a can of Acetone. Removed the bump out awning, cleaned the existing 4" Eternabond with the acetone, scrubbed the surface with a "POT SCREBBER" sponge to prepare the surface. I applied the 6" Eternabond over the four inch tape that was applied by the factory, rolling out all the air and smoothing the surface of the new eternabond for the full length of the bump out. I now have a new clean, evenly applied 6" wide tape that appears to be factory applied.

I now feel much better about the seam and poorly applied tape by the factory. apparently the roof was not clean when the factory tape was applied, causing the factory tape to pucker.

Advice: check your bump out roof to see if your 4" wide tape is pulling loose or puckering, it may save you a headache later on.

Sid, Lois & HRH MISSY Terrible 2s SHIH TZU
2011 ROCKWOOD 8285 WS
2014 F-250 KING RANCH PS/SD/6R140/BFT
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote

eternabond, led pad