Old 06-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #1

Eternabond around skylight question

Ok Guys a little advice please.

We had a leak from the skylight in the bathroom on our Roo 21RS, after advice on here sent the wife up on the roof to do the enterna bond fix, which she did a great job of.

Now went back in the trailer today to start packing for the weekend after another thunderstorm to find more water in the bathroom this time from the light, but once I took it all out, it looks like water has still come in at the sky light and run between the ceiling and the membrane until it reached the light then it has dripped through the cable opening.

Going on to the roof the eternabond in the very corners around the sky light doesn't look like it has sealed 100% due to the difference in height of the old dicor sealant, but it must be pretty good as water now pools between the sky light and the little dam that the old dicor has made. See enclosed pictures.

So the question is what next ? and how have others dealt with the 90 degree corners around skylights / vents etc. do we put a 45 strip of enternbond there ?

Also has everyone left the old dicor there to form the little dam which then collects water ?
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2012, 11:25 PM   #2

There is a primer you are supposed to use when you are putting one piece of Eternabond over another. When I did mine I didn't use the primer and it did not lift but I also used a couple wallpaper rollers and rolled the heck out of it. I also covered the seams with a bead of Dicor lap sealant for a little extra insurance. I think if you get the primer and put a piece of Eternabond over the corner you will be ok, or you could just cover the gap with some sealant.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:07 AM   #3

We have the alcohol based cleaner is that the primer that you are referring to or is it something else ?
Old 06-26-2012, 12:47 AM   #4

I did my Eternabond corners the same as you. I have an aluminum roof so I just used lacquer thinner to clean the surface first. If I had a rubber roof I would use the primer. I don't like the dam that the old Dicor has caused. If I was to do your skylight I would remove as much as the old Dicor as I could being careful of the roof membrane using plastic putty knives (Home Depot) Then I would use the Eternabond. You can Youtube Eternabond for a vent application video or on Eternabonds web site.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:28 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

EternaPrime Spray

Eternabond Primer spray is not alcohol. It is a mixture of Hexane and Acetone that preps the Dicor and roof material making it "tacky" for permnent adhesion.

I would put a dab of Dicor in that corner. Covering a leak, without repairing it first, will most likely work; provided you have a 100% bond all around the leak.

If you miss a spot you will have a leak with a path that directs all water directly to it as in your case. Again, IMO, DICOR dab in the corner or you can heat gun the EB tape and remove enough to make a repair. Carefully cut the old tape away; spray down some EB primer; and apply a new tape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	913th 3rd Annual Picnic and Camper photos 035.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	15731  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #6

Thanks all, we are going to try a dab of dicor in the corner and then tape over it. Hopefully this will do the trick. Assuming it stops raining long enough to get it done !!!
Old 07-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
geo

Eternabond or Kool Patch? Is there much difference?
Old 07-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #8

We used eternabond, along with a seal of Dicor in the corners and along the edges as Herk suggested and it has worked just fine. No more leaks, we plan to do the rest of the trailer over the coming weeks.

Tags
eternabond, led pad