Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #1

Eternabond, not eternal!

Just went up on the roof to check my week-old Eternabond job. Much to my surprise, I found many places where it did not stick to itself, and even a couple of spots where it lifted from the roof vinyl/rubber.
So, I got out my marine silicone and went over every seam where the "eterna"bond overlapped. Hopefully that will seal those joints, and keep them from lifting again.
As much as that stuff likes to stick to your fingers, itself, and just about anything you don't want it to stick to, I am surprised that it won't stick to itself! Hopefully the whole works doesn't come off. Has anyone had it on their roof for a few years?
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:43 AM   #2
Site Team

There are very specific instructions for installation of Eternabond. Cleaning and using the pressure roller are paramount in making it stick and last a long time. I've heard of very few failures when applied correctly. I'd call Eternabond and get their take on it.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:05 AM   #3

Followed the instructions. Bought the expensive heavy roller, and rolled it far more than anyone else probably would. I have read others that have said it wouldn't stick to itself very well, and it is true.
It's not that it is lifting everywhere, but considering it is supposed to last for 25 years, the amount of lifting in a week is a concern.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:37 AM   #4
Site Team

That's why I recommended calling Eternabond and letting them know about the problem. They'll probably have some suggestion on how to resolve it.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #5

There's not much I can do now. I certainly am not going to try to pull up all of that crap now! I used up most of a 50-foot roll!
Old 09-17-2010, 12:32 PM   #6

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
Just got off the phone with the Eternabond Company. They are sending me a replacement roll (6"x50'). They informed me that the clear backing tape(from a supplier) has been contaminated with silicone ( even if a small trace amount is present, eternabond wont stick to its self) He suggested and they are asking customers to also wipe the white(or what ever color you ordered) part also with acetone or the spary cleaner. He also said the rubber roofs on new campers has a release agent (powder) from the big rolls at the factory. That has silicone in it, so if that is not cleaned off the roof completly. Eternabond wont adhere like it should. To remove the Eternabond he said take a hair drier on the roof and heat it(tape) up. It should peel off. If any residue is left you can leave it there. It wont hurt anything. Just wipe the area quickly with the spray cleaner (or acetone) and wipe the up side of the tape this time where its going to over lap.
He also said alot of household cleaners have silicone in them. So he suggested just wiping or spraying the roof with plain water. Let it dry!Then use the acetone or spray cleaner only on the areas you are going to tape! Oh well just made more work for myself but at least I got an answer, they were very forgiving and pleasent on the phone.
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:30 PM   #7

Did you order it from them originally?
Old 09-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #8

From their own website, a review of Eternabond Roofseal:

"I used Eternabond RoofSeal last year to seal seams on my RV roof. One year later, the white outer layer has seperated from the gray adhesive. It has become brittle and is peeling away."

So that is what I have to look forward to?
I think I may have just made a big mistake.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

I want to thank you guys for taking point on this issue. I still plan on Eternabonding the seams, but will make sure I buy the kit that includes the prep and cleaner.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:59 PM   #10
Site Team

Yep, just like flying, or many other things, prep and planning
are imperative!!
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:23 PM   #11

I cleaned everything very thoroughly, but I didn't realise that I had to clean the Eternabond itself! Who would have thought it might be contaminated?
Old 09-17-2010, 07:19 PM   #12

Well thats some great info that you shared with us, thank you very much. I bought a roll and a can of spray/cleaner, but have not used it yet...
Thanks Again,

Bill
2020 GMC Duramax-3500HD 4x4 CrewCab
B&W Companion 25K Fifth Wheel Hitch
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
56 Gallon Titan Tank
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #13

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
Crocus..... I did order directly from Eternabond,Its was a little more expensive than buying from a dealer, but i thought if i did have a problem. I just eleminated the middle man. I have to admit I was in a hurry (rain was in forcast). I didnt wipe some area's as good as others. I deffinitly didnt wipe the tape it self off. They have a very good product, my friend uses it roofing and swears by it. he's never seen or heard of it drying out.(called him today to ask if he uses it). He did say the area does have to be prepped. He also asked if I cleaned the roof off before applying, I did and used dish soap. He said allot of dish soap has silicone in it and its not listed on the bottle.( just what the people from Eternabond said). He also said water wipe,let dry, wipe with acetone/rag ,apply tape(rag doesnt have to be dripping wet). so maybe I didnt help things using dish soap. So Sometime its back on the roof for me!!
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:59 PM   #14
Site Team

This is some good info. I'd have never thought about the silicone in the dish washing soap.

Tags
eternabond