Old 10-06-2015, 01:06 AM   #1

Eternabond on new Silverback

I've finished installing the Eternabond on all the roof seams, vents, and the skylight. It was a chore, but well worth the trouble. I decided to go ahead and do this while the camper was still relatively new, and the factory Dicor was soft. This way, I didn't have to scrape off the old lap sealant. Just clean it well, and lay down the tape. I plan on ordering a 4"x50' roll of tan Eternabond to do the roof seams along the sides. For reasons of economy, I'll lay out the 4" tape, and, using a guide, cut it down the middle. This will provide enough 2" tape to do both sides. The trailer is 34'11".
I'll say this; this tape really sticks good when applied to a clean surface. If you decide to use it, be extra careful to not allow it to touch itself after the backing is removed.
The only option is to cut that section off, and start over. <----experience talking there!

Great product....kinda pricey,....but, applied correctly, it should protect your camper from water leaks for years.
I guess, the only place I'll need to keep a close eye on for water leaks, is the front and rear clearance lights....right?

Old 10-06-2015, 06:05 AM   #2

I agree. Did our Trailer when we got it new as the Dicor was still new from factory. Yes I would watch the clearance lights but haven't seen any water in either of the lights so far. Yes its a task to put it on but well worth the time.

Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:37 AM   #3

Thanks for the affirmation. I'm still thinking about whether to do the side seams. It can be a little tricky to get the tape to lay straight along the trim piece with the vinyl screw cover, and since the rubber roof rolls over the top edge of the roof deck, I would like it to look nice.

It really wouldn't be much trouble to resell the side seam every year whenever I also do the clearance lights, but I sure do like the Eternabond product. I'll ponder on this for a while.

Since I bought a brand new 2015 model, it's already at least a year old, and probably needs revealing now. I guess it was timely to apply the Eternabond tape now, so I should be good for this winter.

My trailer lives under roof most of the time, but deer season is almost here, and I'll haul it to the lease in a few more weeks.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:00 PM   #4

Going to do ours this weekend. Was 4" wide enough? Thinking about 6". What did you use to clean the roof?

Nights camped in 2015 40
Nights camped in 2016 39
nights camped in 2017 38
Crusadernoob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:04 PM   #5

I first used "Awesome" cleaner at about 75% strength mixed with water. This is a great cleaner and the cheapest place to find it is at Dollar Stores. I then rinsed with clear water, and allowed to dry. After that, I wiped the area down with a rag with a little acetone. The acetone flashes off pretty fast. Then the Eternabond tape was applied.
I had bought a roll of 6" and 4". This worked out better than I had first thought, because for many of the joints, I cut the 6" in half lengthwise giving me two sections of 3". Using the 12" x 12" vent for example, I cut 2 pieces of the six inch tape, 18" long, then split it. This worked out just right for all 4 sides of the vent. Make note of the front of the camper so the seams are overlapped to protect against 65 mph winds possibly lifting it. However, after using this tape, I can't imagine 100 mph winds lifting it. I did use some Dicor to coat the dark edge of the tape to add another layer of leak protection. Probably not necessary, but I had a tube that was getting a little old, so I used it up.
The only place that the 6" was really beneficial was at the front cap seam. This was because the screws and factory sealant was applied kind of high. I could have worked my tail off removing the old sealant, but it was still plyable,...and....I had a roll of 6" Eternabond tape!

A couple of points; when you remove the backing...be very careful to not allow the tape to stick to itself. If that happens, just grab your scissors...that piece is going in the trash. I found no way to salvage it, but on the up side,...I only let it happen once!
Also, when you get ready to apply the tape around ladder flanges, or TV antennas, save all the scraps. As you are working on the roof, you may find locations where there was a piece of trash left on the deck when the roof membrane was rolled out; go ahead and stick a piece of tape over these spots. Some folks say we should take a sharp knife, and cut the membrane to remove the speck before repairing. I just couldn't bring myself to do that. These small scraps are very useful for applying over these areas. That way, when you are walking around and step on one, it will already be padded with repair tape.

Those are just a few of my thoughts and observations. I may not have done a perfect job but it really turned out quite well, and I sleep better, especially since my coach has been parked outside since last Thursday, and it's been steady raining since Friday evening.

Okay, I hope this was helpful. If you have any other questions, please ask.
The only other suggestion I have is to watch several of the instruction videos. I learned a lot from them.

Take care
Dg
Old 10-26-2015, 01:54 AM   #6

Thanks, I tape every camper I purchase whether new or used during the first week of ownership.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:00 AM   #7

Very Good write up by the OP! Youroo!!

Tags
eternabond