Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2015, 09:30 PM   #1

Eternabond Roof Tape

I found on another RV site, a repair and maintenance how-to article using Etrernabond Roof Seam-seal Tape. Very interesting product and application.

Has anyone used this product? If so, is it all its cracked up to be? Is it worth the price?

2014 Coachmen Viking 16FB
2005 Chevy Trailblazer EXT 4x4
36 Nights Camped in 2015
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:07 PM   #2
Sunseeker 3010DS

Yes, I used it on my 13 year old rubber roof and worked great. The trick is to clean the area good first with soap and water, and then with acetone wear you apply the tape. Ones its down it won't come off so get it right the first time. you will want to paint it after you apply it with a good HDPE or trailer topper paint after you apply it. I can't say how long it will last because I sold the trailer 2 years latter but it looked like the day I applied it after 2 years. Way better than calking!
slamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:26 PM   #3

Quoted direct from the Eternabond website:
"EternaBond® Tintable UV Protector is only required when using WB-Seal on areas exposed to sunlight. All other EternaBond® leak repair products are UV protected and require no other protection."

You only need the UV protectant on the WB-seal which is not what you use to repair RV roofs. Eternabond works and it is great stuff. Watch a few Youtube vids for application instructions. Eternabond is well worth the money.

Please also be careful with what you use to clean the existing roof. Many RV roof materials are not compatible with acetone. It is best to use what the manufacturer recommends. For my roof, that would be simply Spic and Span cleaner and water.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:36 PM   #4
Sunseeker 3010DS

This is the website, EternaBond find your type of roof and follow the instructions on how to apply. My roof was an EPDM rubber roof. and I used Acetone. Of course be sure follow all the safety instructions when using these type of solvents and be sure to use all of the proper personal protection equipment and follow all directions and you will be happy with this product.
slamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:44 AM   #5

I applied the EternaBond as an emergency solution, drove too close to a tree with a chopped off limb, and it punched 25-30 dime to quarter sized holes along the driver's side roof. Did I mention this was during a rainstorm?

Anyway, dried as best I could then applied about 30 feet of tape, doing a great job.

Thirty days later, had the entire roof replaced $8,500... Ouch! No leaks or damage was noted by the tech who replaced the roof.

I would definitely recommend this product and will use again if I have the misfortune of another hole.

I feel like the patch would have done the job for years, but my rig is only 2 years old and insurance picked up all but $500.00 of the repair.

Good Luck!
richard75w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 07:18 PM   #6

Excellent product. I used it on a previous motorhome that I had owned. I don't think I can use it my current travel trailer. If I can figure out how to use on this trailer, I will.
It is much better than using the Dicor caulking found on most roof seams.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:31 PM   #7

Last August, we purchased a new Silverback 29 RE. Most of the time the camper sits in a barn unless we are using it, but when deer season opens, it sits outside until season is over. (Deer camp is a 3 hour drive from home.). Anyway, I found out about the Eternabond products (on this forum I think) and decided that applying the Eternabond tape to seams and/or stress areas would be a great idea while the camper was new, since less "elbow grease" would be needed for all the cleaning part. So, I ordered some from Amazon and used it at both end cap seams, and around all roof penetrations. I do not regret that decision at all, and I slept better anytime we had heavy rainfall during hunting season. There is a lot of information, and a few good YouTube videos on handling the tape which can be a little tricky.
Hint: try real hard not to allow the tape to stick to itself! There is no separating afterwards.
Good luck
dg
Old 12-26-2015, 10:08 PM   #8
Canadian Member

Search the forum for "Eternabond" and you'll find lots of members here have used it, including me. Here are a couple threads:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...otos-9012.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...gly-11501.html

I used it on my previous Rockwood Roo and it worked fantastic. I covered all the original roof caulking with EternaBond so I wouldn't have to touch it up. I recommend the 6" wide roll for the front and rear seams and the 4" wide roll for everything else (vents, skylight, antenna, and any other roof penetrations). I used EternaPrime but not their EternaClean spray.

Be cautious about using acetone for cleaning. The Roo had a TPO roof so I used it to clean the old sealant and quickly cleaned the TPO where the tape would need to stick. It evaporates quickly but don't spill it on the roof!

For us here in Ontario, Canada, it's gone up around 20% - 30% in price since I bought it from a local distributor back in 2013 for the Roo, so I haven't invested in it yet for my current larger TT. I need to replace the 5 year old factory tires first, but I plan to do the EternaBond treatment on our current Rockwood within the next couple of years. For now, I carry a leftover roll of 4" wide EternaBond for emergency repairs and a tube of Alpha 1021 self-leveling sealant for touch-ups.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:42 PM   #9

I used this on my 2000 fleetwood. Used it on seam between the front aluminum and roof. Performed better than factory stuff looked nicer and did not crack. Great product.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:12 PM   #10

I use EB tape on all new and/or new to me campers I have purchased. It is the first weekend project I do when I purchase a trailer.

On used campers, I carefully use a heated metal putty knife to remove a thin top layer of the "dirty/ragged" Dicor to flatten the remaining Dicor and reduce the work needed to clean the area for tape application. Its a time saver but you have to be careful not to damage your roof. The tape looks better when applied over a "flat" dicor area and less cleaning is a boot since the dirty Dicor was removed from the top.

I clean remaining dressed up old Dicor with windex, let it dry then use a solution of 75% rubbing alcohol blended with 25% acetone put into a large spray bottle. I use a soft brush (available from harbor freight) and gently scrub the ground in dirt on application area and wipe off immediately. I feel the alcohol is a little gentler on the roofing membrane but acetone is a stronger "cleaner".

I don't bother using Eternabond cleaner or primer. Never needed it but a roller to press the tape down is a must!

Will be going back up on the roof in the spring of our new camper. Plan on using plenty of EB tape for my newly purchased 400 watt (4 panel) Solar system. Will use EB tape to seal town all wiring to protect it from UV radiation and affix it securly to the roof. All panel mount areas will be protected by EB tape and Dicor....can't wait!
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:52 AM   #11

I purchased Eternabond to repair a snagged area on the TPO on our camper. It says, as has been mentioned in this thread, that it needs added UV protection. As I need only a "thimble full," buying their smallest quantity for $35, doesn't seem very practical. Does someone here have an alternate? I see that TPO doesn't want a protectant so I guess I'll need to mask off the Eternabond.
robertew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:08 PM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertew View Post
I purchased Eternabond to repair a snagged area on the TPO on our camper. It says, as has been mentioned in this thread, that it needs added UV protection. As I need only a "thimble full," buying their smallest quantity for $35, doesn't seem very practical. Does someone here have an alternate? I see that TPO doesn't want a protectant so I guess I'll need to mask off the Eternabond.
Unless you purchased the EternaBond WS (WebSeal) type of tape, all other EternaBond tapes DO NOT need UV protection.
If you did purchase the WS tape, take it back and purchase the "RoofSeal" type.

Directly from the EternaBond web site...

"When using WB-Seal on areas that are exposed to sunlight, two coatings of EternaBond® UV Protector Sealer liquid (included in the Seam Repair Kits) is required. The installer can either paint over the sealer or tint it to match the exterior at a local paint store by mixing in the liquid tint coloring designed for latex paint -- starting at 75 percent less tint than required for latex paint.

All other EternaBond® tapes are UV protected and require no other coatings, but can be painted if so desired."

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:02 PM   #13

Thank you. That takes a load from my mind. I think I picked up needing the UV need from one of their videos and wasn't aware of the different products.
robertew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:54 AM   #14

This tape is great I did my roof seams after I found cracks an pin holes in the caulking it also saved me on the road I blew a Crack in my trobo boost hose on my f350 I was about 20 miles from the camp grounds I could not make any power I cleaned the hose as best as I could an taped with eternabond it sealed up an I was able to get full boost got to camp grounds next day my buddy an I picked new one good stuff to keep on hand at all times
stinglejet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:07 AM   #15

Eternabond tape is a must do for all new and used campers. It is the first thing I do when I bring a new to me camper home.

The smallest of cracks in Dicor can cause a lot of damage and this is cheap insurance to save you thousands in roof and sidewall delamination.

Plus it looks much better than Dicor which does not age well.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:01 PM   #16
2015 sunseeker 3050

Just finished the eternabond today did the whole perimeter. tough stuff to work with. Started out having the DW help for the first section, but that song D-I-V-O-R-C-E becomes final today, kept playing in my head. After the first section had her stand on the back of the ladder to stabilize
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	314.4 KB
ID:	116422   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	294.3 KB
ID:	116423  
bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefin View Post
Just finished the eternabond today did the whole perimeter. tough stuff to work with. Started out having the DW help for the first section, but that song D-I-V-O-R-C-E becomes final today, kept playing in my head. After the first section had her stand on the back of the ladder to stabilize
Looks good. I still have to do my side seams over the side and into the gutters. Don't forget all the vents, skylight and anywhere else they thought dicor would work. ;-)

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8281WS
2015 F250 Crew Cab
jheacox1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternabond, roo, roof