Old 05-20-2013, 10:18 PM   #31

endurabond the entire edge of my 24x8 roof.

After having the caulk deteriorate every few years around the edge of the 1 piece aluminum roof on my 2005 - 8.5' x 24' v-nose race trailer, myself and a buddy spent 4 hours doing redoing it with endurabond. The most time was spent on the prep. used a electric hand held grinder with wire wheel on the old caulk AFTER scraping the majority of the caulk off with puddy knives. Found using the wire wheel in deep caulk just got the caulk hot and it flew all over. (you will ruin some clothes so be sure you are wearing old stuff).
Once the caulk was mostly removed, acetone with rags easily removed whatever was left. Knee pads are a must for this job by the way

We used 4" endurabond and it stuck very well. Even over some sheet metal screws that were all along the edge of the roof line.

Herk .. still trying to picture what you mean by a "double lap seam" . I do get on this roof from time to time putting up a huge canopy that attaches to the side of this trailer, interested in what you mean.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:16 PM   #32
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by melk-man View Post
Herk .. still trying to picture what you mean by a "double lap seam" . I do get on this roof from time to time putting up a huge canopy that attaches to the side of this trailer, interested in what you mean.

I meant the original DICOR seal which should be solid and the EB tape which covers it and prevents it from drying out, cracking, or opening up a hole along the roof penetration.

A "double seal"

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #33

What about the sides?

I have a new 8329SS and have purchased Eternabond for the seams. Is it necessary to do the side seams? I read where some have pulled off the vinyl molding and stuck it on the metal and up over onto the roof but is this really a seam on the sides or just where the dicor is put to keep moisture out from under the trim on the side?

I have purchased enough to do the front and sides but am wondering if it is overkill. Tks!
Old 05-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I meant the original DICOR seal which should be solid and the EB tape which covers it and prevents it from drying out, cracking, or opening up a hole along the roof penetration.

A "double seal"
ah ! that would have been a good idea had i done it years ago !
Old 05-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #35

Eternabond on the side seams

Can anybody answer this question please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWPilot View Post
I have a new 8329SS and have purchased Eternabond for the seams. Is it necessary to do the side seams? I read where some have pulled off the vinyl molding and stuck it on the metal and up over onto the roof but is this really a seam on the sides or just where the dicor is put to keep moisture out from under the trim on the side?

I have purchased enough to do the front and sides but am wondering if it is overkill. Tks!
Old 07-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #36

I re-sealed most of the seams on my Rockwood, a 2006 model, last week. I used the Dicor Self-Leveling sealant. It's still a bit tacky. Can I apply this stuff over the newly applied Dicor? Also, if I were to get a small hole/tear in the rubber roof material, could I simply apply this tape over it and consider it repaired/sealed?

The reason I ask that, while on the roof, I noticed several areas where it appears there is either a screws popping up under the rubber, or, while applying the rubber roof at the factory, the person/persons doing the application left some debris on the roof & rolled the rubber right over it...like a doctor leaving surgical instruments inside a patient!

I actually found a couple spots that were an inch + long, and very thin, like a finishing nail, rivet, or some kind of scrap of roof material, that wasn't cleaned off. I'm worried these areas will eventually wear through the rubber, causing it to leak.

I wonder, should I apply the tape over those spots now, as a preemptive strike against the probability of penetration in the semi-near future? What say the good folks here?
Old 07-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #37
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGENT86 View Post
...I'm worried these areas will eventually wear through the rubber, causing it to leak. I wonder, should I apply the tape over those spots now, as a preemptive strike against the probability of penetration in the semi-near future? What say the good folks here?
If it were me, I would leave them alone and keep an eye on them. Shouldn't be any wear on them unless someone steps on them.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #38
Site Team - Lou

I would let the Dicor set for a month so the surface gets dry"er."

If there is junk under the membrane I would wait and if it does come through you can remove them prior to making your permanent Eternabond repair.

Nothing wrong with preventative application though. I put the left over seam tape under my antenna.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	913th 3rd Annual Picnic and Camper photos 036.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	35269  

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 07-14-2013, 12:08 AM   #39

Yeah, I'll give it a month or so before I apply the tape. i guess I'll just keep an eye on those other areas. that's a good idea, putting that tape under the antenna! I'll have to do that...I noticed a small 'rub" in the rubber material caused by the antenna, your solution is most logical
Old 07-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #40
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGENT86 View Post
your solution is most logical
Trust me; it's a curse...

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW

Tags