Old 03-22-2011, 08:29 PM   #1

Eternabond - the good, the bad, the ugly

I am taking delivery of my 8528CKWS April 21 and I have been told by some that I should apply eternabond sealant tape to the roof seams to give it lifelong protection from leaks. Is it that good? Should I wait until the warranty expires?

2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:23 PM   #2

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
If you check your roof warranty. The owner is resposible for the maintenance of the roof seams and inspections. So putting Eternabond gives it the 25-year insurance that everything is sealed. Just be sure to follow the directions when applying. I admitt that i didnt take the time to be sure the to clean the area properly before laying the tap down.and some eadges started pealing up on me. I called Enternabond and told them.(even admitting to them after talking to them,maybe I didnt take the time to clean very well). They replaced all the tape and sent me the spray cleaner to use for replacing. The stuff sticks where you put it...so be sure it gets where you want it !! So anyway I would tape the seams for the 25-year protection. You still should take a peek once a year to make sure everything (tape) is staying in place.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:56 PM   #3

Putting the eternabond down on a brand new camper is the best time to apply it. The original goop is still sticky, and there is no dirt to remove.
But apparently there might be some silicone on the rubber roof material, and that MUST be cleaned off before you apply the tape.
I did every seam on the roof, using 6 inch wide for the big seams front and back, and 4 inch for the roof vents, skylight, and tv antenna.
I think it will keep the original goop from drying out, thus providing a lifetime double seal on all of the seams.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
Putting the eternabond down on a brand new camper is the best time to apply it. The original goop is still sticky, and there is no dirt to remove.
But apparently there might be some silicone on the rubber roof material, and that MUST be cleaned off before you apply the tape.
I did every seam on the roof, using 6 inch wide for the big seams front and back, and 4 inch for the roof vents, skylight, and tv antenna.
I think it will keep the original goop from drying out, thus providing a lifetime double seal on all of the seams.

Where did you buy the tape and what price?
Old 03-23-2011, 08:46 AM   #5

I bought it online, but forget where.
Just google 'eternabond' and you should get quite a few sellers. Just check for the best price. It was a lot less than retail.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:49 AM   #6

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
He has pictures (Crocus) of his work with the Eternabond! Not sure what thread though !! He did a real nice job !! Tried to get him to come to New York to do mine....he sent me pictures and some scissors. LOL
Old 03-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
He has pictures (Crocus) of his work with the Eternabond! Not sure what thread though !! He did a real nice job !! Tried to get him to come to New York to do mine....he sent me pictures and some scissors. LOL

Well then,, that Crocus guy should post them here on this thread. Incidently, I just minutes ago order (2) 4"x50' rolls on ebay for around $50 per roll plus shipping.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #8

Actually it was someone else who posted those great pictures, but the jobs were very similar. I can't remember what thread that was though.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:52 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Here ya go: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...otos-9012.html

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:28 PM   #10
JEN

Not sure if this is available in Canada... anyone know? Or is there a similar product availoable here?

2005 Ford F150 Lariat V8 5.4L
2011 Rockwood 2702SS
JEN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternabond